The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom to capture One 4

Scargos2

I am up loading pictures to Lightroom Library then editing and then sending them to Capture one to do more editing.
The problem is the pictures I sent to Capture one, do not show the editing I did in Lightroom.
Can some one help in solving this problem.

Thanks ahead
Rick

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am up loading pictures to Lightroom Library then editing and then sending them to Capture one to do more editing.
The problem is the pictures I sent to Capture one, do not show the editing I did in Lightroom.
Can some one help in solving this problem.

Thanks ahead
Rick
Rick

This would depend on what format you are sending to capture one(one option is to output the original raw file). A more important issue is that you might have this backwords. The biggest advantage of capture one over lightroom is the raw conversion process. If you import with lightroom you are using camera raw to do the raw conversion. When you send it to C1 its already been converted ?

I have yet to find an acceptable workflow that allows conversions in specific raw developers (C1,Nx2 etc) and then uses Lightroom for the DAM .

Would be very interested to learn more.

Roger

Scargos2

I sent a couple pictures to C1 and they moved with editing,only once did it work. I have tried sending as raw (Lightroom option is only 2 Tiff or PSD) tried both. I sent like 3 or 4 pictures to C1 and some time they go there w/no adjustements. The last 3 did not show up on C1 at all.
It is(C1) not consistent . This is driving me Nuts.

The problem with starting with C1 is there is no Dust removal or red eye.
I would like to start w/C1 I think, but ??

Scargos2

New test Did adjustments in C1.had to convert to a Tiff,as sending raw DNG will not show adjustments, I guess as same with sending to Photoshop Da on my part.
But Lightroom has more color controls , plus black and clarity. unless you go to C! pro, but still no dust removal or red eye. dam it

Godfrey

New test Did adjustments in C1.had to convert to a Tiff,as sending raw DNG will not show adjustments, I guess as same with sending to Photoshop Da on my part.
But Lightroom has more color controls , plus black and clarity. unless you go to C! pro, but still no dust removal or red eye. dam it
LR has both red eye and spotting tools in Develop module.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I do RAW conversions in C1 then export a tiff to LR for tweaking and then to PS for more pixel wrangling and printing. Save back to LR for cataloging. I do believe C1 does a better job with the initial RAW conversion than ACR. Thats with the M8 and Sony files which is what I have, don't know about other cameras.

Scargos2

I mean that C1 does not have dust and red eye, I know about Lightroom, been using since it came out and love it ,but trying to like C!

robertwright

you will never get C1 and Lr to work together for raw, they do not share any data except metadata, like stars or caption info.
the adjustments you make in C1 are written to the settings file only, the raw is unchanged, same with Lr, except that the settings you make in Lr can be seen by adobe products like Bridge and Ps.
Basically it is pick your poison.
I import into Lr but use my own folder structure. I can do asset management their and caption information. sometime I will take my selects and move them to a select folder in the job folder. The depending on what I want, I can point C1 to the selects folder and render tiffs that I sync back to Lr and stack together with the raws. you could then use all the Lr tools to spot or do grad filters, etc, but on tiffs obviously.
It's not perfect

eleanorbrown

By all means I would suggest you do your initial editing in C1 then if necessary proceed to Lightroom and/or Photoshop. Eleanor

charlesphoto

What I'm thinking of doing is importing first to LR, which I like and find superior for organizing, making quick adjustments, and web galleries. And then exporting selected DNG's to a folder which I can then do final conversions on in C1 for print, etc. That way I am only working with a small # of files in C1 (the ones I really like or the client wants).

Anyone do it like this? Does C1 read the exported DNG from LR?

Scargos2

I learned (but I knew and forgot) that you have to convert to Tiff or Jpeg
and send to C1 or Lightroon or the adjustments you made will not be transfered to neither one.

charlesphoto

I know that - I would just do a new set of adjustments in C1. From any given shoot I might only need to do 2-20 fine adjustments which is not worth using C1 as my main asset manager (sorry but I find it extremely confusing compared to LR).

I'm just wondering if the generic DNG duplicate created in a LR export (with no adjustments of course) is readable in C1. This would save a lot of time hunting down numbers in the folders and then transferring those to a new folder. I keep folders of RAW files on an external mirror as an archive and then a set on an internal striped drive for working on.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Charles I agree completely I haven't used C1 that much yet but I find it much more confusing than LR. Someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong but wouldn't you want to do the initial Raw conversion in C1 because it seems to be the consensus here that it does a better conversion than ACR. Then export as a TIFF to LR and make the tweaks there and if it needs more work finish it in PS? Then catalog in LR..?? Am I screwing up?

charlesphoto

Well, what I'm wondering is if one catalogs first in LR (which makes most sense) and then exports DNG duplicates of one's selects for use in C1, if those duplicates are the same as if they came straight out of the camera, therefore being "converted" for the first time in C1 even though you cataloged them in LR. Seems to make sense to me - a RAW is a RAW until one makes changes to it one's converter of choice and of course those changes can't cross converters. But are there changes in quality happening in converting a RAW file (whether Leica DNG, Nikon NEF, etc) to a generic DNG?