The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High pitched whine, Leica M8

P

pmun

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I can hear a high pitched whine when I depress the shutter release of my new Leica M8. It is very quiet, but very apparent in a quiet room. Is this anything to be concerned about please?

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It is quite hard to answer your question without a little more detail I am afraid.

When exactly does the sounds occur? Have you tried using both discreet and standard mode (assuming you are using the latest firmware). If so when does the noise occur? A the time of the shutter opening and closing or at recocking time?

N

nei1

...................the digital stage doesnt last long,the camera will find itself in a dark draw,unused,...the metamorphosis begins with a delicate purring as all the internal organs are replaced with gears and levers until one day,as if by magic,the draw is reopened to reveal a brand new beautiful M7.............copyright ,D Attenborough..bbc england.

P

pmun

Hello ecliffordsmith, thank you.

It's when I depress the shutter release to take a meter reading just before taking the photograph. It's an electronic tone sound a bit like tinnitus.

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

I have never noticed this before. Perhaps you could ask your dealer about it?

I disabled all sounds on my camera when I got it and while I cannot imagine this is intentional functionality have you disabled the sounds?

JPlomley

I have a pair of M8's, one makes the noise, the other does not. The one that does is 18 months old and it has never been a problem. In fact both bodies have been extremely reliable, albeit not as enjoyable as my M7 :thumbup:

stevem8

I hear it on mine, and my last two M8's as well. It is when you start to press the shutter that you hear it.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
All digital cameras do this to a certain extent. The Digilux2 is louder than the M8 for instance. Some people, especially elder men, are unable to hear it. So it should be no problem with Leicas:D