The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

Paratom

Are you now satisfied with the results from the 24/1.4?
Any more experience with that lens?
Regards, Tom

jonoslack

HI There
All interesting stuff - I actually quite like C1, I also like it's quick support for relevant cameras (even if they're a little off the market leaders).

Still, I'm interested that nobody really mentions Aperture - it seems to me that it has all the workflow benefits of LR, and at least some of the processing benefits of C1 (it's certainly streets better than LR for both the M8 and the A900).

Like everyone else here - I'm interested in working out a more sophisticated workflow in C1 which might make me change over.

It does lead me to one BIG question though - should I upgrade to the pro version of C1? I imagine so, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

jonoslack

Marc - good luck with the further testing . I know only too well how easy it is to reject something out of initial disappointment . . . and then fall in love with it's good qualities later.
Did you write that with your wife looking over your shoulder?:angel::p
HI Jaap
No - indeed - and it certainly wouldn't have been me - but the other way around - oh yes! She rejected me at 18 and fell in love with my better qualities at 29 :ROTFL:

Ben Rubinstein

I still can't get the output file from C1 to match how it shows in C1. Looks about a stop darker in PS and I'm using the right colour space, etc. Until I work that one out I can't actually use the program.

fotografz

Are you now satisfied with the results from the 24/1.4?
Any more experience with that lens?
Regards, Tom
Yes, I've come around to being much more satisfied, thanks to the folks on this forum. C1 does make a difference as far as the M8 files are concerned. Jaap's demo of CA/Sensor bloom control from the 24/1.4 was pretty convincing. Hat's off to my dealer for allowing me to keep testing it before committing just about my entire equipment fund to one lens :eek:

The 24/1.4 ASPH is a pretty contrasty lens as far as I can tell so far. I haven't experienced flare as of yet. But as a low light lens it seems to fit my specific needs and I've decided to keep it. The OOF areas are delicious and seductive ... that was never in question ;)

fotografz

I still can't get the output file from C1 to match how it shows in C1. Looks about a stop darker in PS and I'm using the right colour space, etc. Until I work that one out I can't actually use the program.
My C1 files seem more accurate than when coming out of LR to PS Ben. I keep losing a bit of contrast when processing out of LR, where the C1 files hold more true.

Do you have your "working" monitor colorspace selected in C1?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Even a "walk you through" video like what Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewey did with Lightroom would be very helpful. Maybe a video with Guy or Jack and the C1 dude...... could be a money maker.

Ben Rubinstein

My C1 files seem more accurate than when coming out of LR to PS Ben. I keep losing a bit of contrast when processing out of LR, where the C1 files hold more true.

Do you have your "working" monitor colorspace selected in C1?
The loss of contrast is due to the working colour space in LR being ProPhoto and you can't change it, when you save the files out as another colour space it converts and you lose out. I've got a friend who just gave up on LR and moved to the Bridge/ACR workflow that I use just because of that. It's practically impossible to blow anything in ProPhoto, the colour space is so huge, when you save out in something like sRGB the histogram is going to look very different.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ben make sure C1 is like Prophoto and also PS working space is identical. Ignore my 60 percent reduction in file size that should be 100 percent

Ben Rubinstein

According to the help file the colour space for the pic and histo is based on the output colour space, no way to set a colour space apart from the output box. Am I missing something?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
According to the help file the colour space for the pic and histo is based on the output colour space, no way to set a colour space apart from the output box. Am I missing something?
Ben,

After you've done as Guy suggested above, you should go to View>Proof Profile and make sure it's set to "Current Recipe" or your default output color space. I suspect this is where your issue is.

Cheers,

fotografz

Ben,

After you've done as Guy suggested above, you should go to View>Proof Profile and make sure it's set to "Current Recipe" or your default output color space. I suspect this is where your issue is.

Cheers,
Darn, I was just going to say that ... ;)

here's a question ...

My current version of C1 is 4.3.1 XXXXXX ... according to my history I have 2 upgrades left.

How the heck do I upgrade? Can I upgrade to 4.8?

I can't figure it out off their website.

-Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

Thanks all, especially Jaap, Guy and Jack for the shove upward. :thumbs:
Phew, finally! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Darn, I was just going to say that ... ;)

here's a question ...

My current version of C1 is 4.3.1 XXXXXX ... according to my history I have 2 upgrades left.

How the heck do I upgrade? Can I upgrade to 4.8?

I can't figure it out off their website.

-Marc
Marc I think you can but I will ping Doug on this to make sure