The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Darn, I was just going to say that ... ;)

here's a question ...

My current version of C1 is 4.3.1 XXXXXX ... according to my history I have 2 upgrades left.

How the heck do I upgrade? Can I upgrade to 4.8?

I can't figure it out off their website.

-Marc
Marc:

Here is how to update:

1) Get coffee
2) Open C1
3) Navigate to CaptureOne>Check for Updates
4) Click on the update link
5) Follow the instructions on the download page that just opened in your browser
6) :D

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Darn, I was just going to say that ... ;)

here's a question ...

My current version of C1 is 4.3.1 XXXXXX ... according to my history I have 2 upgrades left.

How the heck do I upgrade? Can I upgrade to 4.8?

I can't figure it out off their website.

-Marc

How the heck did you end up with a 4.3?? LOL I imagine you mistyped that

If you have a C1 3 or C1 4 license key then you can install and activate any version of Capture One 4. You don't so much "upgrade" as simply install the desired version. For best results I suggest you fully uninstall any versions you might have previously used prior to downloading and installing 4.8.

It seems likely that there will be one or more updates to Capture One 4. The upgrade price from Capture One 4 to Capture One 5 was set last year at $99 so we already know what's in store in that regard. Until then anyone who has purchase Capture One since early 2004 can continue to use the latest version at no additional cost.

Even a "walk you through" video like what Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewey did with Lightroom would be very helpful. Maybe a video with Guy or Jack and the C1 dude...... could be a money maker.
http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/24/capture-one-web-seminar/

We (Capture Integration) do these once every two months or so and they are reasonably popular. I've been surprised more people don't sign up, but feedback from past participants has been strong.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Marc:

Here is how to update:

1) Get coffee
2) Open C1
5) Follow the instructions on the download page that just opened in your browser
True. Though as I mentioned it's never a bad idea to do a full uninstall of the previous versions. My best guess is that around 5% of users experience issues when they simply install over the previous version rather than fully uninstalling it.

jonoslack

Guy, Jack
I've got 4.8 - is it worth the upgrade to the pro version?
Specifically, does the pro version have things which make the workflow easier?

cam

Doug,

a complete uninstall is not so easy using a Macintosh -- any suggestions to keep it clean?

fotografz

Marc:

Here is how to update:

1) Get coffee
2) Open C1
Oops! the version is 4.1.3

Okay, got the coffee.

Opened C1.

Went to menu C1.

NO "Check For Updates" in any drop down menu. Nada.

I hate this ... :angry:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Marc, they moved the update link in the later versions! It just takes you to the link Guy posted above...

Jono, IIRC, the big differences are multiple camera raw file support, and full featured color editor -- which is HUGELY powerful. It allows you to tweak individual colors, basically allowing you to edit a set profile or conversion on the fly. You can also add custom menus. Somewhere on the site is a full comparison chart.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Pro has everything that non-pro has as well as:

Clarity
Moire Reduction
Lens Correction
Tethering
Color Editor
Skin Tone Tool
Overlay
Process Recipes
Sessions
Second Monitor Support
Menu Customization

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Capture Integration can sell you a C1 Pro license or upgrade over the phone (877-217-9870). No box/CD is needed since you always want to download the latest version from the website anyway.

Every time you buy C1 Pro from a dealer rather than the online store a Head of Technical Services gets his wings.

robsteve

Subscriber
Doug and Jono:

I don't know if Doug can sell you this, but the M8 Capture One License can be upgraded to the Pro version at a discount.

Robert

jonoslack

Right everyone - thank you.
Doug - I'd buy it off you in a prayer . . . (I like wings too) . . unfortunately I'm over the other side of the pond!

Jack and Guy - thanks for the information. I'm still considering whether I want to go that way (I've just processed another batch of M8 / A900 files in Aperture, and it does to a good job). (Jack - doesn't the ordinary version have multi camera RAW support - mine certainly seems to).

Robert - thank you for that, it's actually the cause of the temptation as it's really affordable this side of the pond €199 I think.

I'm not sure that I'd need the colour editor, or the skin tone tool, but the Clarity, Moire Reduction and Lens correction together with multi monitor support is certainly tempting.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/24/capture-one-web-seminar/

We (Capture Integration) do these once every two months or so and they are reasonably popular. I've been surprised more people don't sign up, but feedback from past participants has been strong.

[/QUOTE]

Doug it looks like I missed the one I need. Is there an instructional video to purchase and download?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Right everyone - thank you.
Doug - I'd buy it off you in a prayer . . . (I like wings too) . . unfortunately I'm over the other side of the pond!
Good prayer pun.

If you have a local dealer with whom you have a relationship then buy from them! Otherwise we have no problem selling software internationally. Actually it's cakework since there's no tangible asset; you email/phone us a CC# and we email/phone you a license number. The physical boxes are useless since the manual is a PDF and the CD is always out of date by the time it is stamped. Of course the new box is pretty neat (it has one of our customer's images on the cover, so I'm a bit biased).

And yes we can do Leica upgrades, 4 to 4 pro upgrades, or whatever you need. Though I think I only get one wing for upgrades.

Doug it looks like I missed [the Capture One Online Class] I need. Is there an instructional video to purchase and download?
We run them every two months or so; you'd be welcome at the next one. Or you can attend GetDPI's next workshop in June where I'll be doing all the C1 instruction you can handle as well as amusing everyone with my attempts to pick up the local waitresses.

We've looked into recording and distributing instructional material. Thus far we have not, if only because all of our instruction is so structured on small-group Q&A and answering individuals' questions.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I still need folks for the June workshop and Doug is planning on attending. We could actually make it a C1 day in there if needed and shoot 3 days. I only have 2 people and it is on the verge of being cancelled. We need warm bodies to teach. LOL

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Wish I could attend June 17 but I will be out of the country. You guys should consider such a instructional video. That was the reason I chose Lightroom, having easy access to tutorial information really helps.