The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

fotografz

Congratulations Cam - I know it is what you really wanted :clap::clap:

Marc - good luck with the further testing . I know only too well how easy it is to reject something out of initial disappointment . . . and then fall in love with it's good qualities later.
;)

John Black

I'm not sure what C1 does, but it eliminate purple fringe that other raw editors do not. I did this back in '08 with the Mamiya ZD & 80mm lens -

So, it has nothing to do with Phase One "mapping" a lens. I think they've tuned their C1 profiles to seek a specific hue of magenta and desaturate it.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
LOL! i controlled myself myself from commenting (i side-track far too many threads), but i happen to love it as well as the mousse. Jaap -- can you PM the recipes?

and, Jono, thank you. it's a beaut! just received it and i think i'm seriously in love!!! indeed all i wanted :D
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
four eggs - 100grams of sugar-500grams of mascarpone- three shots of espresso-four (at least) tots of Amaretto - Italian finger biscuits- cacao powder.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until frothy - whip the whites to a snowy consistency. Mix the mascarpone with the yolk mixture and fold into the whites.
Soak the biscuits in the coffee and amaretto.Not so much that they are completely soggy, but well drenched. Do it one by one when making a layer.
Make a layer, put on a layer of the mixture, another layer of soaked biscuits and the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Use a small sieve to dust with the cacao powder. Leave in the fridge overnight.

cam

Cam - Did you buy Jason's 35 lux? FYI, that was my first lux lens which I used to make many beautiful images all over the world... Enjoy!
but of course! this first week was beyond hellacious with family obligations and jury duty, but i somehow managed to snag your sweet little lens from Jason -- though he made me promise to give him first dibbs if i ever considered selling it. he *really* was loathe to let it go -- but the 24 Lux suited his needs better which i completely understand.you can easily go wider in that type of photography and often need it. lucky me!

cam you'll love it...my favorite lens. It stays on my M8 90% of the time.
i do already and it's only my first day! i have a feeling it will on mine most of the time as well and am already itching to get back to Paris to really test it. the fact that it has Riccis' mojo makes it even sweeter.

thank you, Jaap! :p

ElvisKennedy

four eggs - 100grams of sugar-500grams of mascarpone- three shots of espresso-four (at least) tots of Amaretto - Italian finger biscuits- cacao powder.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until frothy - whip the whites to a snowy consistency. Mix the mascarpone with the yolk mixture and fold into the whites.
Soak the biscuits in the coffee and amaretto.Not so much that they are completely soggy, but well drenched. Do it one by one when making a layer.
Make a layer, put on a layer of the mixture, another layer of soaked biscuits and the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Use a small sieve to dust with the cacao powder. Leave in the fridge overnight.
Beautiful! Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I occurred to me that if indeed the new version of C1 handles the issue, there is no need to do EVERY shot in that program. I can do my usual work flow in Lightroom which handles most of the M 24/1.4 ASPH shots just fine. Then when there is the occasional shot with strong back lighting or rim lighting, and it's a keeper ... then bring C1 to bear on it.
I have said this so many times I worry I will sound like a broken record, but here goes...

EVERY camera I have ever had that was supported by both LR and C1, the C1 conversion kick's the LR conversion's butt every time. And always by a noticeable amount. This is not only in terms of detail, but also in terms of more accurate (and pleasing) color and better controlled sensor aberrations and noise.

I know folks love the cataloging feature of LR and are used to the UI, but from a quality raw-processing standpoint, nothing can touch C1 at present, IMHO. And I know how hard it is to give up LR --- it took Jim Collum over a year to convince me...

/rant,

Ben Rubinstein

I wouldn't give up dodge and burn in a raw converter for all the extra sharpness in the world...

There's an article on LL about using both C1 and LR together.

I think the difference is (possibly) that wedding shooters like myself or Marc need to work very fast through over 1000 RAW images at a time often multiple times a week, fast and easy trumps ultimate potential quality...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I do many many images at once also. Just a matter of workflow. LR brought nothing faster to the table for me and you can mix camera files up as well in one folder. Dodge and burn is something I rarely have to do. Not sure why this one is important but highlight and recovery are also on C1 and actually function better from what I remember of LR.

fotografz

I do many many images at once also. Just a matter of workflow. LR brought nothing faster to the table for me and you can mix camera files up as well in one folder. Dodge and burn is something I rarely have to do. Not sure why this one is important but highlight and recovery are also on C1 and actually function better from what I remember of LR.
Guy, Lightroom has become absolutely numeral uno for wedding shooters because of the ability to now avoid Photoshop almost completely. The brushes and gradient tools are so fast for evening out PJ shots done on the fly in rapidly changing lighting conditions and variable flash effects. It has cut an entire day off processing a wedding for me.

That said, I probably need to take some instruction on C1 ... I hear you and Jack ... and the whole CA/sensor bloom correction on the M24/1.4 that Jaap demonstrated is pretty convincing. However, I don't think it can replace LR for general workflow speed ... even my wedding shooter pal Marcin switched to LR from C1 for reasons of speed/volume ... and he was really good at C1 having exclusively used it for years.

I'm to the point of paying someone to teach me more about C1 since I've never gotten along with it all that well. But when you pay this kind of $$$$$ for a single lens to try and make a difference for ambient light work, it's kind of dumb to degrade it with less than the best processing tools ... at least for select shots that will benefit.

Terry

I'm to the point of paying someone to teach me more about C1 since I've never gotten along with it all that well. But when you pay this kind of $$$$$ for a single lens to try and make a difference for ambient light work, it's kind of dumb to degrade it with less than the best processing tools ... at least for select shots that will benefit.
That's been my problem and a question I've been asking for a while which version is the right one to be using (since there are a lot of versions floating around) and how does one actually learn it. C1 really has no form of instruction. No books etc. I need to hire one of my "friends" for lessons. Or, why don't we call it a weekend C1 intensive workshop....hint hint :D

mwalker

Subscriber Member
That's been my problem and a question I've been asking for a while which version is the right one to be using (since there are a lot of versions floating around) and how does one actually learn it. C1 really has no form of instruction. No books etc. I need to hire one of my "friends" for lessons. Or, why don't we call it a weekend C1 intensive workshop....hint hint :D
I have the same problem... for me is not as easy to learn as LR. But I would be willing to take workshop.

Ben can you link to that LL article..thanks

charlesphoto

Okay, I purchased C1 Pro last month intending to switch. But after rating a batch of 3000 images and then losing all of that I just gave up. What I will do is if I have really specific outputs (say fine art prints or a high end magazine) I will do those specific files in C1. Otherwise for most end use LR is more than adequate and if you don't know where things are or can't get them out quick then why bother. A little extra sharpness means nothing compared to actually easily keeping track, making easy web galleries, quick dodging and burning, etc.

I really really wanted to like C1 but the UI and cataloging and rating system just totally lost it for me. I guess I'm not that much of a pixel peeper when it comes to high volume purposes. A show of say 20 or so images I can deal with C1 but not thousands.

Guy Mancuso

We can do a workshop on just C1 if we can get enough folks to sign up. I can even hopefully bring in Doug between us you can get a firm handle on how to work with it. Including speed freak processing like I do. CI also has online tutorials with Doug but nothing like sitting next to it happening in front of you which obviously is a very good way to learn. Yes I can be hired too for personal instruction. LOL

My motto these days is yes I can be bought:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Essential the part is that C1 is really the raw converter that is doing all the hard work of processing and than taking some functions in LR that are not in C1 and further process the Tiff file. It's actually cheating to some degree which is fine but the real work is done in C1 with using LR for functions.

cam

My motto these days is yes I can be bought:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
i won't say what i was going to say, but i think you know my sense of humour -- and that it was all thought of with love ;)

seriously, i think it would be great if you and Jack did an intensive workshop in C1!

i was one of those stragglers who who wasn't convinced that C1 was a better processor and thought the interface was horrid. at the same time, i've been perfectly happy using an alternative RAW processor for my photos (SPP, Epson RAW) and then taking them into Photoshop to finish and was always able to do the two processes as quick as one and it never bothered me.

working with the M8, i looked at Aperture and Adobe RAW and wasn't satisfied with either. i hunkered down with C1 and, admidst much cussing, figured it out and fell in love. there was no doubt in my mind that it was made to be the RAW converter for M8 files and i immediately saw a difference.

people have asked me to explain the differences and, to be honest, i can't quite articulate them -- even as i can see them plain as day. they're there and they're real.

i know part of the difference is that i was originally shooting (and for some lenses, still am) without IR filters and Jamie Roberts profiles were a godsend. but there is also something undefinable to me in the details that i can pull from C1 that adds magic to the photos that were otherwise lacking in other converters.

i am a total convert and wish others could see what C1 does. i think a workshop would be a brilliant idea as it's a huge part (whether we like it or not) of the process of shooting with a Leica.

fotografz

Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

Thanks all, especially Jaap, Guy and Jack for the shove upward. :thumbs:

Terry

Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

Here is another thread going about LR and C1. I also am going to work on a new workflow. Unfortunately C1 doesn't cover all of my gear but I think I can figure out a good flow.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=99938#post99938

Guy Mancuso

Great news and fast workflow can be done with just some great applying of adjustments globally than fine tuning

fotografz