The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

80-200/4 R

robmac

Talk to me about the 80-200/4 R. Have seen Doug Herr's comments, dug up what I could from the electronic ether, and have decided to give one a try (on a 1DS2).

Would love to see some further samples of what the sucker can do. The MTF charts, especially in the mid-range look nice.

The idea is as a walk-about/hiking moderate telephoto that will give me the opp. to cut back or extend the FL in a pinch. It will probably sit at 100-135mm most of the time.

EH21

i have one and use it both on my DMR and also on my 5D. I also had a canon 70-200 f/4 which you may or may not know is one of canon's better lenses. In side by side comparisons between the two lenses the Leica offered slightly better sharpness, contrast, and more color saturation. The canon 70-200 was one of my favorite lenses, very fast to focus, lightweight, great sharpness - but the leica was a bit better in everything except the auto focus and perhaps the bokeh was more pronounced with the leica but in a pleasing way. This is one range where the canon lenses compete well with the leica, and probably the 70-200 f/4 IS is a more useful lens if you are going to shoot mostly on Canon bodies. But I kept my 80-200 f/4 R because I could use it on both cameras. You won't be disappointed with it. I find it easy to MF with this lens. I'd post some samples but unfortunately I can't ID the lens specifically in my catalogs because when on the DMR the zoom lenses are not recorded in EXIF, and when mounted on my 5D, it gets mixed in with all the other lenses that I used on that adapter.
Eric

Last edited:

robmac

Eric,

Thanks for the input. Didn't know DMR didn't record exif data for zooms.

The only copy of the 70-200/4 I had left me unimpressed. I think I was a victim of Canon's infamous 'sample variation'. Had the same issue with a 135/2 that seemed to have an alingment issue. That was about the limit of my patience.

The 70-200/4 IS version has a great rep - IF you get a good copy. Living in an area pathetically lacking in inventory (not to mention prices that are well above those found in the US), there is no opp. to try multiple copies. The fact I shouldn't have to fret about sample variation is another matter...

In short, if I could cherry-pick my 70-200/4 IS I'd be tempted.. If my budget permitted, I'd have a 70-180/2.8 APO wining its way towards me as we speak...

I have a 180/2.8 APO that is nothing short of stunning, but I find myself not shooting enough in that range to warrant the investment. If my 180 took a 1.4x APO it might be another matter. Mm looking for a more logical choice in the 120-200 range and putting the proceeds from the 180 into some fast long (>250mm) glass in which I am sadly lacking.

Should mention that one option I am considering is a 180/3.4 APO.

EH21

Yes definitely could be a sample variation thing re:canon - I've mostly bought my canon lenses from B&H and actually I don't think I've gotten any duds at all. Well okay I did get one zoom that had a flaw but Canon replaced it. Anyhow that canon 70-200 is a great lens and I'd still have it if it had not been stolen from my hotel room in Prague last summer. Not saying it could have replaced my leica 80-200 but its very very good especially considering the $500 price.

The Leica 70-180 APO.... yes I've shopped for this as a mate to my 35-70 f/2.8 elmarit but the thing is the 70-180 is a big heavy lens (1900 grams!) and closest focus is like 2 meters so its not going to be as useful as the f/4 version. There might be a bit of extra sharpness but on the other hand the f/4 is going to out resolve any of the canon bodies now including the 1Ds3. Trust me on this you are not going to carry around 70-180 nearly as much as the 80-200 f/4.

robmac

Eric - agree on the 70-180. Love to have it, but lugging some extra metal/glass around with a long lens is one thing - you expect that. What appeals to me about the 80-200, going off the charts and some folks comments, is the size and performance at 100-150mm range with the ability to grab perfectly nice shots below and above that.

After you use Leica/Zeiss glass you're perspective changes. I remember all the Canon L glass I used to lust after and now it's like 'yeah, whatever'. Some of the units like the 135/2, 200/1.8 and 300/2.8 and longer are sharp as hell, but the color performance and lack of perceived 'dimensionality' (new word)....

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Just register today so I am a bit late in this conversation.

The optical quality of the 80-200/4 R is excellent as others mentioned. But I still prefer the primes even for travel. I usually take 100/2.8 APO and 180/3.4 APO although 80-200/4 is much lighter. Somehow. I find the balance of 80-200/4 with R8/R9 is less than ideal. I owned a copy of this lens for a while but eventually sold it.

I don't know how well it works with 5D.

Stuart Richardson

If you are mostly going to be using the 100-135mm focal length, you should seriously consider the 100mm apo Macro. Though it is not a zoom lens, it is so extraordinarily good that you won't mind. Everything from infinity to 1:2 is superbly sharp with beautiful bokeh. It is f/2.8 and not all that huge. Combine that with your 180 and your 35-70 and you have pretty much everything covered. Even then you don't have the ability to use the 1.4 converter, don't be afraid of the 2x APO converter....any degradation is fairly minor.
Here are two taken with the 180/2.8 APO and the 2x converter: <P>

I can assure you that they are still very sharp at 100%. (these were on the DMR, by the way).

robmac

Stuart - have seen these shots on various threads and always loved the detail and colors. I am starting to think along the same lines as you mention.

That being said, I tried a 2x APO on my 180/2.8 APO and wasn't that impressed. Now one advantage you have when using a 2x is the DMR's lack of AA filter (I shoot currently on a 1DS2) which would tend to aggrevate any loss in sharpness.

As for the 35-70 - still trying to find one at a decent price. In process of swithcing things around, but currently have 28/2.8CZ, 60 Macro R, 80Lux (4 sale), the 180 and a CZ50 1.7. The 60 was picked up for $100 and while looks like it lost a fight with a bear, glass is clean and it takes great pics.