The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

Terry

GREAT capture Terry!

Oh, and a PS: Not sure I mentioned it, but one of my favorite accessories for that lens is a 3-stop ND filter (B+W .9 or 8x) so you can shoot it wide open in normal sunlight. A 4-stop would be even better, especially if you're going to have the new shutter work done, but I've not found any. They seem to jump from 3 to 6 stop, and 6 might even be okay... Let's see, a 6-stop would get you to roughly 1/500th at f1.4 with ISO 160 in sunlight, where my 3-stop is 1/4000th. Hmmm, methinks I may get a 6 :)
Jack,

Thanks on the shot, I liked it and also liked that I managed to get the two covers of time out in enough focus to read.

Another thanks on the the ND. I have an ND4 (2 stop) from a different camera (52mm so I can step up) and planned at that time to get a 3 stop and was talked out of it (Lesson: trust your gut!). I will add one to my next B&H list. Funny you mention it because I was just thinking about it this morning. There is a huge article in the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal about the conditions being perfect for this spring being an incredible desert wild flower season......I feel a road trip coming....:thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What I want to do as a workshop is Picacho Peak and the Saguaro National Park but you have to be dead on with timing and the beginning of May maybe the best time. Something we should look into. Plus from there we could go to Bisbee and Sonora. First we have to do Carmel

Terry

Count me in!

:D,
Other easily accessible spots are around Las Vegas in the Red Rock area and in Southern California Antelope Valley for poppies. However the article does point out one of the most spectacular spots for those who consider the US southwest too "ordinary"....

"For those who consider the American Southwest too close to civilization....the deserts of northwest Iran, near the borders of Iraq and Turkey, in May and June. They have 7,500 species of plants, which rivals all of California...."
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Yea, and 8,000 species of flying bullets right around spring time <grin>.

Jack, Guy, WHEN are we doing Mexico? Easter week is coming up, with some of the most fantastic images you could ever imagine!

Maggie O

You need to be really careful using these older "high trigger voltage" flashes on newer digital cameras, and should be using a "Safe Synch" adapter of some type to avoid frying the camera electronics. Here are a few from Wein: http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Cheers,
I don't use the 283 on the M8 anymore. The 285HV is a brand-new, low trigger voltage flash.

We're good here. Though I might get a safesynch, because the 283 is quite a bit smaller than the 285 and still has the tilt head. Thanks!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I keep noticing better pictures buried within the pictures I take. There's at least one better shot in this humble photo of a well-used pump. It happens to me more than it should, I rush, or just shoot too casually (maybe too self-consciously?) and miss something simple and perhaps stronger. So going slower and looking a bit beyond the obvious is becoming a goal for me when out shooting.

Do you have conversations with yourself like this? What goals or disciplines are you making for yourself?

Guy Mancuso

Here lies the big answer. i actually slow down more with the RF camera even though i can go at a rocket pace but i tend to think more , compose better and have much better focus when i do it all myself. This is all good. This is why i like manual you do it all yourself camera's. You just get better results. But that's me someone else may like machine gun

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chuck Jones said:
Jack, Guy, WHEN are we doing Mexico? Easter week is coming up, with some of the most fantastic images you could ever imagine!
Would love to Chuck, especially the San Miguel Allende and Minerale de Pozos areas! However, we're probably too late to get anything organized for an "international" trip until next year...

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
(EDITED) "Here lies the big answer. I actually slow down more with the RF camera, tend to think more, compose better and have much better focus when I do it all myself. I just get better results."

Exactly...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Here lies the big answer. i actually slow down more with the RF camera even though i can go at a rocket pace but i tend to think more , compose better and have much better focus when i do it all myself. This is all good. This is why i like manual you do it all yourself camera's. You just get better results. But that's me someone else may like machine gun
Guy's quote is close to spot on, but I'd have to make a few small edits: :D

Replace:
Guy -> "even though i can go at a rocket pace"
with:
Chris -> "which is amazing because I'm already at a snails pace"

and Replace:
Guy -> "have much better focus "
with:
Chris -> "focus becomes a total crap shoot" :ROTFL:

But that's what makes it so much fun.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You're so right Guy. I like the way the RF forces me to pay more attention. I still have to make the transition from that nice, black-framed, WYSIWYG view of an SLR though.

Thanks,
Tim

Terry

Guy's quote is close to spot on, but I'd have to make a few small edits: :D

Replace:
Guy -> "even though i can go at a rocket pace"
with:
Chris -> "which is amazing because I'm already at a snails pace"

and Replace:
Guy -> "have much better focus "
with:
Chris -> "focus becomes a total crap shoot" :ROTFL:

But that's what makes it so much fun.
Well done :)

Guy Mancuso

You're so right Guy. I like the way the RF forces me to pay more attention. I still have to make the transition from that nice, black-framed, WYSIWYG view of an SLR though.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim , honestly it just takes some time. Even for me with all the years with many different style camera's . RF photography certainly gave me a new challenge and now not sure i could shoot without it, just because i enjoy working like this.

woodyspedden

What I want to do as a workshop is Picacho Peak and the Saguaro National Park but you have to be dead on with timing and the beginning of May maybe the best time. Something we should look into. Plus from there we could go to Bisbee and Sonora. First we have to do Carmel
Guy

I'm in!

Woody

woodyspedden

Other easily accessible spots are around Las Vegas in the Red Rock area and in Southern California Antelope Valley for poppies. However the article does point out one of the most spectacular spots for those who consider the US southwest too "ordinary"....

"For those who consider the American Southwest too close to civilization....the deserts of northwest Iran, near the borders of Iraq and Turkey, in May and June. They have 7,500 species of plants, which rivals all of California...."
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Yep

For sure that is where I am not going LOL

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Guy

I'm in!

Woody
Yea this could be fun. I will look into it more. Need to figure the timing , we have gotten a lot of rain so it maybe earlier this year. The desert is actually very green right now, so blooming is not far behind.

We can start here and work our way south.