The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

jlm

Workshop Member
for black and white:you can get a small changing bag (tent) from B&H, a double reel stainless tank and a couple of reels, a darkroom thermometer, HC110, fixer, stop bath, an overflow washer, photoflo solution, a few film hanging clips. mix the Hc110 fresh for each session, use and discard. cost about $300, it is easy, but buy a throwaway roll of film to get used to loading the reels in the dark, he,he. developer temp is the most critical, but it is 68 degrees, not too hard
if you are really hell bent, get a used rolleiflex for $500 and shoot MF, just as easy, assuming you can scan in 6x6 negs
the larger setup is if you want to print, then you need a full darkroom, enlarger, etc.

terry: if you want to give it a try, pm me, even the rollei, heh,heh

Last edited:

Maggie O

Memories oh those memories. Need Maggie for backup on the guitar here. At least 18 years since i been in a darkroom. Now that is scary
What Guy said. It's been too long.

I used to have a custom-built darkroom in my parents' basement, man that was sweeeeeeet. I was trolling for an M4 a while back, but I realized that I don't really have a decent place to soup film and to be honest, I'd probably get sick of it after a few rolls and go back to digital. Especially since I wouldn't be able to print.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There was a similar setup in my parent's basement in Brooklyn oh a "few" years ago.
I Intend to just develop some films and scan to print with my Nikon 5000.
C41 is not that hard to do at home.
I am just a lot happier with digital printing.
Seems like the best of both worlds.
-bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Right now I just have the film developed at the drugstore lab; no prints, no scans from them. I scan them with my Coolscan and then use a digital workflow. I just want to do the B+W developing myself. I won't have a dedicated darkroom. I plan to do it in the guest bathroom with some kind of a table rigged over the bathtub.

Terry

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't really considering doing my own but between here and on LUF and DPReview I've recently seen about a dozen people going back developing their own B&W and was curious.

Last summer when I was taking some classes at ICP (Intl. Center for Photography), the people shooting film and sending it to the "good" labs were pulling their hair out to get their film back in a timely manner and even then some of the processing wasn't spectacular.

We had a full darkroom when I was growing up and pretty much my whole family used it. So, when I went away to college that was the end of my darkroom days. So, some of my desire to read is to just see what has changed for instance I know the papers are much different now for printing than what I used to use....printing is one thing I can never even imagine doing again.

robsteve

Subscriber
I am on Vacation on Magarita Island in Venezuala. The is a huge condo building boom on here. The last boom was in the 1980's which lasted until rampant inflation pushed the interest rates so high a lot of the condos didn't get completed. I call this shot the old and the new. Two condos are being built in front of us and to one side is an old skeleton of an unfinished condo from the 1980's. This was taken at dusk after the sun went down using the B+W 093 filter and a 50mm Summicron. I processed the first one in C1 V4 and the second was in Lightroom.

This was later at night. That is the skeleton of another condo from the 1980's.

G

gtmerideth

In Denver, CO there is an ancient cemetary. Dates from the 1800's. (Realizing that these dates may not be ancient to those of you who are east of this place)
Not too many interruptions when you're shooting. Fine examples of the stonecutter's art. M8 and 75 lux. Maybe a little too goulish for St. Paddy's Day
g.

F

fotografr

Heading for home at 3 am, M8 in my hand and a fresh blanket of snow--just had to do one more shot.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is a bump. Gotta keep the M8 fun alive. This is kind of a playtime thing with a completely non-socially-relevant shot. Experimenting in PS to get close to those wonderful tones and smudgy blacks from the analog printing days.

(now that I see it posted here as a jpg, it doesn't quite look as rich as it does at full res in PS)

H

Haya

TRSmith: Cool shot do you use any special film grain filters in PS, I'm currently using the alien skin exposure demo it's nice I can't wait to be able to have a film grain plug-in in aperture!

This is a shot of a glow in the dark night light processed in Aperture no PS.

These are 2 B&W images I took this weekend to experiment with the film grain plugin.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Haya! And no plugins, just playing with stuff in PS. Your shots are wonderful! Very nice effect. The car interior has a great feel.