The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

value price for M8 / M8.2?

Paratom

What you guys think would be the price one can take for :confused:
a) a M8 in good condition
b) a M8.2 with some guarantee left in perfect/mint condition

I want to sell one of them and need to decide which one and which price Ishould try to get? Anybody who maybe bought a M8 lately?
Thanks a lot, Tom

John Black

Tom - I think the key difference between the M8 and M8.2 is the 1/8000 vs 1/4000 max shutter speed. With the 50 'Lux ASPH I do hit 1/8000 fairly often when shooting outdoors courtesy of the 160 base ISO speed. So, if you're shooting with fast lenses, then I would keep the M8 over the M8.2. Leica needs to update the M8 / M8.2 firmware with an ISO 80, thus off-setting for the loss in shutter speed. If your lenses are 'crons and elmarits, then 1/4000 v 1/8000 ceiling is probably a non-issue. In which case I would sell the M8.

fotografz

Leica is selling refurb M8s through their dealers for about $2,700. with a 1 year warranty.

I paid $2,800. for one with a grip and few extras, and have seen them anywhere from $2,400 to $3,000.

I want and need the 1/8000th because all my lenses are the fastest Leica makes (or close to it in he case of the 50 lux.)

Ron (Netherlands)

Because I could buy the M8.2 for a second hand M8 price, I bought the M8.2 sometime ago here at DPI. It is mint and chromium. It was the only one for that price, later ones were all sold at a premium.

dseelig

One thing about the 8000 or 4000 shutter speed. If you like shooting in low light then the new shutter is better less vibration. Maybe the ideal set up is 2 m8s with both shutters though the frameline upgrade to me is mandatory.