The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I love Fedex.....

Terry

...they deliver nice presents (even if it was a present from me to me :D)

50 lux pre-asph
(of course if I am going to post a sample it will be at f1.4)
Jack - it came in box with warranty cards and case and it literally looks brand new)

View attachment 1658

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No i don't own the pre Asph , I have the ASPH 50mm which is a killer in sharpness and resoultion. I thought about the Pre though but I have a 35mm version IV cron and a 75 lux which most likely would give me the same look and feel. Also my issue is i don't use the 50mm often enough to have 2. Need to think ahead with FF hopefully coming and my 35mm maybe my lens cap than.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
...they deliver nice presents (even if it was a present from me to me :D)

50 lux pre-asph
(of course if I am going to post a sample it will be at f1.4)
Jack - it came in box with warranty cards and case and it literally looks brand new)

View attachment 1658
Way cool, you did good! (So tell the truth, do you think I over-sell the look? :D)

Terry

Jack,
No oversell. This is the look that I simply love.

Focus has not been hard. It is snowing in NY so I can't do the sidewalk test but I did focus on an object in my apartment and then took a shot at each stop and they seem to all be OK so far. I'll have to do my test with empty wine glasses and drunk people this weekend :D.

Also, thanks for the instructions on loading the actions. I've now got them loaded up. I took the shot from above which had just a couple basic LR adjustments and ran the 3 PS actions. Obviously MUCH better (and yes I know the composition in this shot s**ks). I have lots of files to play with between now and printing time to get better on PS. Duh, I also focussed on actually reading your workflow notes from the workshop. That printout is very helpful! Thanks!

View attachment 1662

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry:

FWIW, I don't think that composition sucks totally, though it could use a tad bit more breathing room on the rh side... I do think it could use a bit of help in post though, to help it pop a bit... Gimme a few to add my rendition to this post to demonstrate --- this is something I will be teaching in Carmel :)

Okay, here is my modified version:

Terry

I like it. Does this have your vignetting as one of the steps. I forget all of the steps you did when you were showing me but I have it as a goal to try my hardest to figure it out on my own. The composition issue I had was that the in focus flower was smack in the center.

Terry

For me worked the curves, burn, dodged, vignetting and a secret.:D
OK That was weird. Your version wasn't showing up on my screen when I was writing to Jack and I was thinking to myself what is Guy talking about. Yes, they are really pretty close.

All I can say is I have put together quite an amazing kit and thank both of you for the help (that is serious no grins). Now I have to actually work on my technique!!!!! I will call and thank Sean in the morning.

I also have to pack up my 50 cron and send it for a vacation at the Leica hospital and spa.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOLOL! I was reworking mine while Guy posted and now they are a little bit more different --- I added some secret sauce too, just for fun.

Terry: I used the vignette technique along with a dodge and burn technique I have not taught you yet. I'll also show you all in Carmel.

woodyspedden

Terry:

FWIW, I don't think that composition sucks totally, though it could use a tad bit more breathing room on the rh side... I do think it could use a bit of help in post though, to help it pop a bit... Gimme a few to add my rendition to this post to demonstrate --- this is something I will be teaching in Carmel :)

Okay, here is my modified version:
Jack

This almost dream like rendering is why I think this lens is one to keep forever. I fear there is so much emphasis on contrast and resolution that what has traditionally separated Leica from the pack may get lost. This lens and the 35 V IV and even the older 50 Elmar are lenses which draw in that very special Leica way.

Good advice for Terry to get this one and Terry, have fun with it. The possibilities are endless.

Woody Spedden

Terry

Jack

This almost dream like rendering is why I think this lens is one to keep forever. I fear there is so much emphasis on contrast and resolution that what has traditionally separated Leica from the pack may get lost. This lens and the 35 V IV and even the older 50 Elmar are lenses which draw in that very special Leica way.

Good advice for Terry to get this one and Terry, have fun with it. The possibilities are endless.

Woody Spedden
Hi Woody,
Workshops are both good and dangerous. I was a bit nervous about focussing wide open but at dinner we had a couple of summilux and noctis and I got a chance to try. Jack, told me which lens to look for (slide out hood). I could not fall asleep and started surfing and found a mint version at camera west. One quick call to Sean from the Moab Diner and I was all set.
It is great to have such knowlegeable resources as friends!

jonoslack

Does it need to be coded?
Hi there - I have my eye on one of these too.
however, it isn't coded, and I certainly do want to use IR filters with it.
So
does it need to be coded, and if not, do I need to set it to IR on or off (should I buy it of course :))

thank you in advance

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Probably don't need it coded since it is a 50mm but if you use a IR than put the IR on in menu. Might need a test to see how it is working but I am pretty sure it would be fine