The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I love Fedex.....

jonoslack

Probably don't need it coded since it is a 50mm but if you use a IR than put the IR on in menu. Might need a test to see how it is working but I am pretty sure it would be fine
HI Guy
I've found a titanium one at an 'interesting' price - ex demo with full warranty . . . . what do you think?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would go for it . I have the asph and it is amazingly sharp. I have seen Jack's pre in action and wish i had it sometimes . Butter

If it is around 1500 US than I would say that would be a good starting price for a unit with the sliding hood.

BTW i shoot my 75 lux uncoded all the time with a IR filter on and IR on in the menu so that should be the same with a 50mm. If it was 35mm than maybe but 50 is safe area

jonoslack

I would go for it . I have the asph and it is amazingly sharp. I have seen Jack's pre in action and wish i had it sometimes . Butter

If it is around 1500 US than I would say that would be a good starting price for a unit with the sliding hood.

BTW i shoot my 75 lux uncoded all the time with a IR filter on and IR on in the menu so that should be the same with a 50mm. If it was 35mm than maybe but 50 is safe area

Thank you Guy - I'll dither . . . it's more expensive than that, but not much, and yes, it does have the sliding hood, and it's titanium, and this is England, and it has the full Leica warranty.
Decisions decisions!

Terry

Hi Jono,
I'm not sure which version the Titanium one is. Mine was the last one before the asph. It has closer focus than the older ones. Also, as Guy said it has a built in slide out hood. Mine was listed as mint 10- and is coded. It was $1695. Don't know if it is the best deal but I could probably spend a lot of time not finding another!!

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
I'm not sure which version the Titanium one is. Mine was the last one before the asph. It has closer focus than the older ones. Also, as Guy said it has a built in slide out hood. Mine was listed as mint 10- and is coded. It was $1695. Don't know if it is the best deal but I could probably spend a lot of time not finding another!!
Hi Terry
This is the same version (i.e. the type 3, last before aspheric). It's an 'ex demo' from a dealer and thus has a full Leica Warranty - of course, it's in the UK, so it's a little more expensive, but both the titanium, and the full warranty would make it a little more.

Is yours coded?

all the best

Terry

Jono,

Yes mine is coded. I will say last week when I had coded with filters, coded without filters and uncoded without filter (cv12). I screwed up forgetting about the menus way too often. Arrrgh!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't use the IRUV filters and don't bother with codes. Ever.

And my life is simple :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I take it you never shoot wider than 50mm, then? Or do you like using cornerfix? ;)
Nope. One of my favorite lens is the 28 Cron and I also shoot with the 21 and CV12 a LOT...

I don't need corner fix cause I don't get blue corners cause I don't use the filters :D

As for the normal Leica falloff, I usually like it, or alternatively can easily correct it on LR/ACR if I want to get rid of it.

You have seen all my images from Moab, which include shots with the 12, 21 and 28, NO filters, NO cornerfix used on any of those. Can you even tell?

As for shots with people that wear black, I either correct it in post or convert those to B&W :)D)

But IF I was going to shoot say a wedding for pay AND they wanted color photos, I would add the filters... Or more likely, shoot it with my Canons :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Stay away magenta people, Jack is dangerous
LOL - Jack - Guy
I shot without filters until last May - but I thought that greens tended to be dodgy (too yellow) without (which isn't great for landscapes).
One thing I do know for sure is that you either use them for everything . . or not at all (at least, if you're as forgetful as me).
Which is why I don't have that nice 12CV

Still thinking 'bout that lens, I'll try for a discount:)

Maggie O

You have seen all my images from Moab, which include shots with the 12, 21 and 28, NO filters, NO cornerfix used on any of those. Can you even tell?
Well, that would explain the kinda funky reds you get in them! So, yeah, I can tell. All of my European photos were taken sans filters and I like the colors in them (especially after using Jamie's color profiles in C1), so even for me, it's not a problem.

But hey, I'm lazy and it's nice to have a streamlined workflow, so coding and filters are cool with me.

Terry

Well, that would explain the kinda funky reds you get in them! So, yeah, I can tell. All of my European photos were taken sans filters and I like the colors in them (especially after using Jamie's color profiles in C1), so even for me, it's not a problem.

But hey, I'm lazy and it's nice to have a streamlined workflow, so coding and filters are cool with me.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the funky reds. In Jack's stuff from Moab I didn't see that at all. Also when I shot the cv12 and had lens detection off my colors were true. I know when I shot the tulips that led off this thread, without the filter the flower colors were sort of wonky and hence my conversion to B&W.

Maggie O

The reds in Jack's photos seem to be more intense than most M8 photos I've seen and maybe have a little purple cast in them. That's what I meant by funky.

There's a subtle difference between filtered and unfiltered colors, that to me, is obvious. I like both palates, so I don't see it as a problem anymore than Ektachrome is different than Kodachrome. I'd say that no filter is Kodachrome and filtered is Ektachrome, FWIW.

jonoslack

The reds in Jack's photos seem to be more intense than most M8 photos I've seen and maybe have a little purple cast in them. That's what I meant by funky.

There's a subtle difference between filtered and unfiltered colors, that to me, is obvious. I like both palates, so I don't see it as a problem anymore than Ektachrome is different than Kodachrome. I'd say that no filter is Kodachrome and filtered is Ektachrome, FWIW.
Hi Maggie and Terry (and anyone else who's listening, but I'm always more interested in the ladies!).
As I say, I shot 'unfiltered' determinedly for 6 months, and in the end (and looking back on those photographs) I agree that the reds are 'funky' . . . but okay, but the greens are 'chlorotic' and not okay (at least, not for landscape).
I'm much too scatterbrained to switch between lenses, so it's filters for me.

I still can't decide about this lens though!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Each to their own I guess...

I do not see much difference in the reds at all. In fact, I find the raw converter makes more of a difference than the filters on red; LR accentuates it more than C1. However, I actually prefer the slight yellow pop in vegetation greens when unfiltered, finding them far more accurate than the filtered ones, which I see as rather heavily skewed toward cyan...

;),