The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

gogopix

Subscriber
ok, we'll forgive you- it's a canoe!:thumbup:

Boy, talk about 'pea soup'
what causes the deep green?
nicely captured BTW

Victor

ok, we'll forgive you- it's a canoe!:thumbup:

Boy, talk about 'pea soup'
what causes the deep green?
nicely captured BTW

Victor
Thanks Victor! No idea on the color, but I wondered that too. No filters, no funky processing. All the images are pretty much straight through C1. FWIW, lens is 180/2.8 non-apo, shot around f8.

robsteve

Subscriber
These are from today. Since the kids and their friends were playing in the backyard, I thought it would be a good time to get a picture to send with the Christmas cards. Last year I never go around to it and my wife ended up sending some pictures taken with her EOS rebel :)

Here I am setting up the tripod and taking a few test exposures. My son's friend was trying to run in front of the camra as I took the picture.

I think this one may go out with the Christmas cards.

doug

Here's one from last weekend. I've been taking the kayak out on a nearby lake (and will do more as wintering waterfowl arrive):

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice Rob! I like the last one very much. I always find this type of composition very difficult for me to compose successfully and have it maintain visual interest across the frame, which works well for me in your image.

robsteve

Subscriber
Nice Rob! I like the last one very much. I always find this type of composition very difficult for me to compose successfully and have it maintain visual interest across the frame, which works well for me in your image.
I just mounted the 19mm vertically at the nodal point and panned about 180 degrees. The composition was a fluke :)

I knew I liked it when I shot it, but was lucky to get that composition with the V to it when it was all stitched together.

Robert

Nitnaros

Used my DMR-R9 today in a studio shoot for headshots.
I used also a Hassy503cw-Aptus, and the DMR stood its ground well.

DMR-R9 came back from 3 weeks at Leica-NJ after a focus problem; right after I had gotten it.

Color coming from the DMR is quite different to color from the Aptus, the latter one being very color-accurate when using custom white-balance. Did the same for the DMR shots, but images came out still to warm (image below adjusted in Aperture 2).

Lens was the 90mm APO, which is new to my collection.

Peter

gero

I just mounted the 19mm vertically at the nodal point and panned about 180 degrees. The composition was a fluke :)

Robert
Robert, you have to show me how to get at that result at a workshop. That last shot is grate.

this is the st. Pitersburg valet in Merida with the 80 summilux

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert, you have to show me how to get at that result at a workshop. That last shot is grate.

All three images were done using a pan at the nodal point. The top two were with the 35-70mm zoom.

I made my own L- Bracket and the other rail to center the pivot over the nodal point. you can also buy the equivalent from Really Right Stuff. I don't think their universal L bracket is big enough for the DMR, so you may need to get the more expensive nodal kits that allows you to mount the DMR just with the regular RRS DMR plate.

You have a nice balance to the Balet shots. The B&W gives them a very classic look.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Great images. They really show the dynamic range of the DMR and your skills as a photographer.

You have just one typo, I think you meant thread, rather than threat.

Robert

Nitnaros

Robert - thanks for pointing this out. A typo that always occurs to me; "Threat" would actually make a funny "thread" title.

The DMR does fine with studio strobes, no doubt.
I use Pocketwizards to trigger my power pack.
Flexcolor is good with colors and sharpness (compared to Aperture, for example, where images can come out too saturated).

The screen preview can sometimes be to interpret, though; I set mine to "monitor contrast low / monitor brightness standard", that seems to mimic best what I see on my calibrated monitor.

One other problem can be that the histogram y-scale is sometimes not properly normalized - the curve creeps along the x-axis. I see the same problem on the M8, btw.

Peter

robsteve

Subscriber
Peter:

If you are shooting at 100iso, I think I found firmware 1.1 to still be the best. I now shoot 1.3 because I like to use the higer ISOs, but If I was just shooting studio, I would look at putting 1.1 back on the DMR.

Firmware 1.1 may solve the histogram problem too. I never noticed the problem you described because I tend to use the clipping indications more than the histogram. On 1.3, the clipping indicator is set a bit too low for my liking.

Robert

K

kelvin

From my bedroom balcony of my old house in the Central Coast of California. Shot with R9 DMR, 100mmR 2.8 Macro lens, stitched.

doug

All photos: R8/DMR

First photo 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, shoulder stock, kayak
other photos: 350mm f/4.8 Telyt-R, shoulder stock & monopod