The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

doug

What a wonderful shot Doug, those hands and the face look so?? human?? at the same time tender and scary. I wouldn't want a fight with this guy even though he looks still like a child.
This guy ("BooBoo") is still a cub. Here's his mom ("Blondie"):

R8/DMR, 180mm f/2.8 APO, shoulder stock

I spent most of a week with thses two and was priveleged to watch BooBoo learn to catch fish. When he first caught a live fish, Blondie came over to check it out and he told her very clearly "MY fish, not sharing".

Here they are together:

R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ditto.

A R10 with AF lenses at a bit of a premium to Canon/Nikon Pro model bodies would have solved all my problems.

Instead we get a "Sultan of Brunei" priced S2. :angry:

Marc
+2. Leica sure makes some beautiful glass. I'm sure they have their own internal market research that told them they can't sell enough camera bodies in an R10 format to give a serious challenge to Canon or Nikon....

I say if they had bothered to read threads like this one, they will have realized they actually had a captive market that while different, would have been just as lucrative for them, given their past loyal customers a road forward, and saved a whole lot of us a small fortune lost in changing over to something else.

I shot with two DMR bodies myself for several months. Still some of my best work living down in Mexico. I'll dig around and post a couple of mine as well. The DMR was a highly under rated camera system for sure, but the R lenses will work on Canon and Nikon. All they take is a photographer that understands how to focus. Manually of course :deadhorse:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod. Cropped from horizontal.
Doug, your work is positively masterful. Wildlife photography doesn't get any better than the work you are doing, in my opinion. I always love looking at your stuff and marvel at what you go through to capture them. Your wife must love doing the laundry around your place with all the dirt and mud from belly crawling around those swamps! :ROTFL:

doug

Your wife must love doing the laundry around your place with all the dirt and mud from belly crawling around those swamps! :ROTFL:
Between my belly-crawling and her horse there's no shortage of dirty laundry at our house :D

Thanks for the comments and :thumbdown: to Leica for dropping the R10 ball.... but that's :deadhorse:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
my belly-crawling
Hmm...

One time when photographing Harriers at the open fields around Ano Nuevo, which mostly consists of being still and quiet and waiting for them to come in your field, I was accompanied by another photographer. This is waist-high coastal grass. He's wearing sneakers and shorts. I say hello, he ignores me. Okay, fine. Every five minutes or so I check my legs and and arms and brush off any ticks. He doesn't. He wanders around a LOT looking for a good vantage point. I don't. After 45min or so he leaves, I don't know whether to talk to him and strongly urge a thorough tick check and offer to check his back side. He doesn't say anything but gets in his car and drives off. Oh well I think, not my problem really. On the way home shortly after sunset I see him out in the MIDDLE of an empty parking lot (the one at the bottom of a little hill just north of Pescadero State Beach) with a ranger. His car has all four doors and the trunk wide open while he's hopping around getting undressed in the middle of the lot!!! On the ground is a flashlight. The ranger is standing watching, clearly waiting to close the lot for the night.

I wouldn't go bare legged in that stuff. And I'd certainly never get on my belly in it!!! :)

doug

I reserve the belly-crawling for after the first few freezes have knocked the ticks down.

gero

Doug you make me sick. Guys like you are why I sold all of my long glass. :thumbup:
Chuck, I haven't been shooting much, I am doing more ¨artesanía¨. After awhile of just watching a computer screen, I desided to try working models with my hands. A new proyect like that was too much to do it ¨halftime¨ with photography. I never bought the M9.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck, I haven't been shooting much, I am doing more ¨artesanía¨. After awhile of just watching a computer screen, I desided to try working models with my hands. A new proyect like that was too much to do it ¨halftime¨ with photography. I never bought the M9.
Well, not getting your M9 is a mistake Gero, it is everything the M8 should have been just a couple years and a couple thousand bucks later. But you've got some EXCELLENT DMR images my friend, so should post some for the others to see. Your subjects are very unique.

gero

Thanks Chuck, I have been more ambitious with my photographic project than what I have been able to give. Still, I have hope that it is in the middle and that I will be able to get there in the end.

I will also try to post images to get reactions.

doug

DMR still clicking:

Green Heron, Oakland California
R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO + 1.4x APO-Extender-R
Shoulder stock & monopod

robsteve

Subscriber
Doug:

I'll match your bird picture, with a Bird Dog shot. Actually, our 14 year old Labrador. She was trained for hunting and retrieving, but we didn't actually hunt with her. Shot with the DMR and 35-70mm f2.8.

Anna's Hummingbird

This one is from June and is the only time I attempted to photograph the local Anna's at home in Bodega Bay. The birds were very skittish and an 800mm equivalent focal length was needed to get close enough.

This was the dominant male on the property. I named him "the office worker" as he hid out in a dilapidated shed out back, clicked away like he was typing and terrorized any visitor to "his" feeder. Shot was taken as darkness approached.

My one regret with the passing of Kodachrome at year's end is never having photographed hummingbirds with Kodachrome. Having just discovered 17 rolls of KM 25 buried deep in the freezer... the mission for tomorrow is to attempt to record a few good images on my favorite film of all time. It will require overnighting the film to Dwayne's in Kansas but it will be my final homage to a film I'll miss terribly.

The first Anna appeared just this afternoon at my new residence in Kenwood and he seemed both surprised and elated to find a feeder where none had been before. Forecast for tomorrow is an 80% chance of rain... but that never stopped a hummingbird!

JHellow

Doug:

I'll see your adult Green Heron and raise you a young Green Heron. Taken in Palos Verdes Estates California with an R8/DMR and 100 mm Apo Macro-Elmarit at f/3.4 and handheld looking through a screen and window.

doug

I love being able to use "short" lenses on wildlife! This is an immature Black-crowned Night Heron, BTW.

JHellow

I love being able to use "short" lenses on wildlife! This is an immature Black-crowned Night Heron, BTW.
Doug:

Thanks much for identifying the Heron. The closet we could find on the net when we saw the bird was an immature green heron. Glad to finally know what it was. Here is a pic with the neck extended, and thanks again. Love the DMR by the way. Going on 6 years with it. Had some damage to the unit last year and Leica did a great job with the repairs. Now if I could just find some additional battery units for it.

doug

Continuing with the Ardeidae theme, North America's smallest heron, the Least Bittern:

Lighting was harsh but I was able to expose for the highlights and pull up the shadows. R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock & monopod, knee pads. Should have had elbow pads too. Belly padding not missed.