The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

Stuart Richardson

If you forgive the film intrusion, I took some photos of similar subject matter a few years ago. In California, they call them Mexican sunflowers...this was with the R9, 100mm APO and Delta 100

And this one was with the M7 and 75mm f/1.4 summilux

overgaarcom

Here's one from last week. I'm still shopping around in Capture One, FlexColor and Lightroom to find the right workflow and converter. This one is FlexColor.

R9, DMR, 80mm Summilux-R f/1.4 @ f/3.4

doug

both: 560mm f/6.8, DMR @ISO 400
1/2000 sec @ f/6.8, handheld with shoulder stock from kayak

overgaarcom

As always amazing results from you Doug.

I wonder what lightmetering you use and if you adjust -/+ as a general rule or ever?

robsteve

Subscriber
I went out on the boat to watch a Tueday night race and here are a few images I got with the 400mm f6.8.

doug

I went out on the boat to watch a Tueday night race and here are a few images I got with the 400mm f6.8.
Beautiful photos, Robert. The f/6.8 Telyts are greatly undervalued IMHO.

As always amazing results from you Doug.

I wonder what lightmetering you use and if you adjust -/+ as a general rule or ever?
I make a few test exposures then chimp the histogram to be sure I'm not clipping highlights or shadows. The camera's metering system most often is on manual. I do this is particularly when I have a subject like these grebes with extensive areas of both white and black plumage.

overgaarcom

Doug - interesting. I don't quite understand what the "chimp the histogram" means..?

I usually use an external Minolta IVf lightmeter to measure the light and go from there (on all shots), except I glued the plastic and that ruined the whole thing. Looking for another one, but that is how I do no matter what camera I use (even the R8/R9 lightmeter is extremely precise in most cases)

overgaarcom

Another R9 DMR shot. I did four days of Roskilde Festival 2008 here in Denmark which was ca. 20 concert shooting for my part. And that seemed to really make the R9 DMR "my" camera. With short time for each shoot, changing lights and colors, you get a good feel for what the camera can do. In all, I find it very much like film which is about the best compliment there is in my book.

Here's a shot that was not on a stage but a private portrait shooting.

Cee-Lo Green (aka Thomas Callaway) of Gnarls Barkley, July 2008. Leica R9 with DMR, 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R @ f/4.0, 200 ISO, DNG-file converted using Imacon/Hasselblad Flexcolor 4.8.6. I like the film look and soul-rock feel of this picture, thanks to the 80mm rendering of sunlight directly intos he lens (with a 60 cm ø gold reflector beaming the light back - as you can see in sunglas), as well as the overall capabilities of the DMR. Using Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop RAW plug-in simply does not produce the same sharpness and the same 'feel' to this picture. Imacon has a special way of treating light, and after all it's both their DMR software as well as FlexColor software...

Did you get any shots of Seasick Steve? he's an old friend of mine.

Tim

Another R9 DMR shot. I did four days of Roskilde Festival 2008 here in Denmark which was ca. 20 concert shooting for my part. And that seemed to really make the R9 DMR "my" camera. With short time for each shoot, changing lights and colors, you get a good feel for what the camera can do. In all, I find it very much like film which is about the best compliment there is in my book.

Here's a shot that was not on a stage but a private portrait shooting.

Cee-Lo Green (aka Thomas Callaway) of Gnarls Barkley, July 2008. Leica R9 with DMR, 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R @ f/4.0, 200 ISO, DNG-file converted using Imacon/Hasselblad Flexcolor 4.8.6. I like the film look and soul-rock feel of this picture, thanks to the 80mm rendering of sunlight directly intos he lens (with a 60 cm ø gold reflector beaming the light back - as you can see in sunglas), as well as the overall capabilities of the DMR. Using Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop RAW plug-in simply does not produce the same sharpness and the same 'feel' to this picture. Imacon has a special way of treating light, and after all it's both their DMR software as well as FlexColor software...

gero

Hello. This is a grate machine and I like it more and more. So I hope to contribute with pictures here.

this one is with the 35/70 2.8 and processed in Aperture.

Last edited: