The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

proenca

Hi guys! I've been away a bit,......

all: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, shoulder stock. All except second photo also with monopod.
Doug and Jaapv, please, for the love of god, stop posting.

Really guys, dont do this anymore - because of you two, I'm checking DMR prices and R lens prices :p

I got enough bad karma already on my credit card due to Leica M lenses...

topoxforddoc

Just to show you that a DMR is not just for daylight. I use mine all the time for concerts. So here are a few - Roberto Fonseca, Macy Gray and Julian Siegel

All shot at ISO400 - nos 1&3 with 50 cron, no 2 with 180 cron

Best wishes,

Charlie
Charlie Chan

topoxforddoc

Ashwin,

Thank you for your kind comments. I just wanted to show that the DMR can be used in low light too. It just has the most fabulous viewfinder and the IQ is very good, even by todays standards.

doug

Wilson's Warbler:

Black-throated Gray Warbler:

Yellow Warbler:

All: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO+2x APO-Extender-R, tripod

robsteve

Subscriber
I haven't used the DMR in a while. I dusted it off for the first soccer game of my son's team. He is not in the photo, just some of his team mates.

R9, DMR and 400mm f2.8 APO-Telyt

robsteve

Subscriber
I just loaded Capture One version 7 yesterday and processed a 35-70mm image through it. This was shot a few years back with the 35-70mm at f4 and on the DMR. The second image is a crop of the first image at 100% or actual pixel view. The image quality seems to have increased a lot, both in sharpness, but smoothness of tone and colour quality.

I found a crop processed in the past to compare.

robsteve

Subscriber
I went back to an old 800iso image to see if C1v7 would improve on old higher ISO files.

Capture one.

This was done a few years back with Hasselblads Phocus, the program that replaced Flexcolor.

robsteve

Subscriber
Not up to Doug's standards, but here is a 400mm f6.8 shot from years ago. I brought the camera on vacation to a resort down south and the 400mm f6.8 was small enough to pack in the luggage. When I looked at the full size image, the bird's bill and loose tufts of feathers are incredibly sharp for such a simple lens. It also holds the highlights well, though that may be a function of the DMR.

Since I just sold the DMR, I have this lens up on Ebay rather than convert it to a Nikon mount. The search for a demo photo fro the listing is what brought me to this old photo.

doug

R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO + 2x APO-Extender-R

The formerly trusty R8 has developed the dead spot meter problem :(

Not sure if I should get another R8 or consider a system change.

robsteve

Subscriber
The formerly trusty R8 has developed the dead spot meter problem :(

Not sure if I should get another R8 or consider a system change.
I just sold my R9 last week. It had the meter cells replaced a few years ago.

I don't think you will be happy with either the lenses or the optics or the digital files or the finders on the other brands :)

To get a Nikon or Canon camera with a decent finder you will probably have to go to one of their single digit pro level bodies, which are more expensive than the new M. You may want to just live with the R8 until we see what can be done with the new M.

doug

I don't think you will be happy with either the lenses or the optics or the digital files or the finders on the other brands :)
Other that that just about any dSLR will do fine ;)

To get a Nikon or Canon camera with a decent finder you will probably have to go to one of their single digit pro level bodies, which are more expensive than the new M. You may want to just live with the R8 until we see what can be done with the new M.
That's what I had figured. Part of the problem was that Leica USA had told me the DMR I had sent for repair was not repairable. Turns out they were mistaken, Solms had told them there was no cost for the repair. Confusion resolved and I'm not looking beyond the R8/DMR for now :)

I have little doubt the new M's files will be worthy of the Leica name, the EVF with long lenses and my subjects remains a question mark.

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Your best bet, Doug, might be to try to get your 240mm R lens converted for the S2 or find the best possible long lenses that can be adapted to the camera. While the price of entry is still high, even though it is half of what it was, the big, bright viewfinder of the S system is excellent.

doug

Your best bet, Doug, might be to try to get your 240mm R lens converted for the S2 or find the best possible long lenses that can be adapted to the camera. While the price of entry is still high, even though it is half of what it was, the big, bright viewfinder of the S system is excellent.
Kurt the S system has appealed to me from the moment it was announced! The H adapter along with a 300mm H lens makes up for a lack of long S lenses; the only remaining roadblock for me is the hollow sound my piggy bank makes. It would take an inheritance to buy an S and I'm not in a hurry for that.

doug

A Northern Shoveler demonstrates his power stroke:

R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt

topoxforddoc

There are some things which are even more expensive than Leicas. How about a few of these?

Taken at the Goodwood Revival in September - DMR 280/4 APO

topoxforddoc

Someone is looking for a 180/2 cron on the FS section. My absolute favourite R lens on a DMR.

Here’s KT Tunstall and Paul Simon shot on the 180 cron and DMR. Thanks for looking

Charlie
Charlie Chan