The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

P

Pedro Mendes

carstenw
You have a nice galery.I like your night shots and the stilllifes.
Thanks for your comment.

carstenw

Oh, thank you! I had forgotten that I had a link there. I unfortunately haven't updated my photoblog in many months, but maybe soon...

robsteve

Subscriber
Since the fall colours are almost here, I am planing my annual trip to the Cabot Trail to shoot some of the colour. Looking back at some old images, I found this one. It was shot with the DMR and 100mm APO.

Robert

gero

Robert, that is a fantastic image. The scale makes it abstract; it's real and sureal at the same time.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is a shot from a drive I took today. This is called Northwest Cove. I used the 35-70mm and a panorama head.

robsteve

Subscriber
Thanks Geronimo and Doug.

I just downloaded Capture One Pro 4.5 and it works well with the DMR files. It seems to make them very sharp. Here is the above processed in Capture One Pro ver 4.5.

Paratom

Question for you DMR-guys. Do any of you who also use digital MF-gear feel that the DMR delievers as good tones and IQ as MF, if Megapixel are not the point?
I sold my DMR but feel I can not totally get the same IQ with my M8 and planning to move into MF for that reason (tones, sharpnes, color depth, microdetail). I dont print large. I wondered if I might save the money and just get another R9 and DMR.(I have neber sold the 15/3.5, 19/2.8 and 28-90)

SO how does the DMR compare to MF in your opinion?
Thanks, Thomas

robsteve

Subscriber
I just used a RRS BH-40 with the tripod levelled. The camera was on a home made L Bracket, shooting vertical and pivoting on the nodal point. The wertical images were then stiched in Photoshop CS3 using the merge function.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is the full size file after my images were stiched together by CS3 and prior to my cropping and resizing. It is about a 30 megapixel file, saved as a 10 quality jpeg, at about 10mb. I will not leave it up for very long so I don't put too much load on the server, but feel free to download it and do some pixel peeping.

http://robsteve.com/GetDPI/NortwestCovePanorama1.jpg

robsteve

Subscriber
Bill:

I like your last two, with my favorite being the second last one. The clouds in the sky and the car on the road add some balance to it.

Robert

gogopix

Subscriber
Here is the full size file after my images were stiched together by CS3 and prior to my cropping and resizing. It is about a 30 megapixel file, saved as a 10 quality jpeg, at about 10mb. I will not leave it up for very long so I don't put too much load on the server, but feel free to download it and do some pixel peeping.

http://robsteve.com/GetDPI/NortwestCovePanorama1.jpg
Robert terrific shot(s) as usual!

was the stich just in CS3?

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Bill

I really like narrative shots
next to last with car is great

now, if you just had rowboat in the last ;)

Victor

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert terrific shot(s) as usual!

was the stich just in CS3?

Victor

Victor:

The stich was just done in CS3 using the Panoramic merge function. I first used C1 V4.5 to convert the DNG files to tiffs and then fed these to the merge function. I though C1 V4.5 did a better job on the reds than just sending the DNG files and having ACR convert them.

I ran the same files through AutoPano Pro and I think the CS3 stich looks better.

Robert

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Question for you DMR-guys. Do any of you who also use digital MF-gear feel that the DMR delievers as good tones and IQ as MF, if Megapixel are not the point?
I sold my DMR but feel I can not totally get the same IQ with my M8 and planning to move into MF for that reason (tones, sharpnes, color depth, microdetail). I dont print large. I wondered if I might save the money and just get another R9 and DMR.(I have neber sold the 15/3.5, 19/2.8 and 28-90)

SO how does the DMR compare to MF in your opinion?
Thanks, Thomas
Hi Thomas
I agree with you. To my eye as well the DMR does have something extra, until now never surpassed by any other digital ~35mm system. Just look at the foliage in the background of robsteves panorama. Perfect exposure and a very noble optic, still, the magical results of that system keep surprising me.
I hope the many former DMR shooters and now Medium Format shooters on this forum will answer your question.
By the way I wouldn't mind if Leica introduced an entry level DSLR with re-use of the very same 1.37 cropfactor 10 Mp DMR-Kodak-sensor and the very same firmware in order to keep the price down and thereby gain a larger customer base for their fabulous optics :)

Rob, thanks for making the full size panorama downloadable. Absolutely stunning !

Last edited: