The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

robsteve

Subscriber
A neighbor put on a fireworks display in honor of his wife's birthday and the three other ladies in the neighborhood having a birthday in the next month or so. After the fireworks we went back to another neighbor's house for cake.

I had to spot out quite a few water droplets in the image. It was snowing and the lens was pointed up into the falling snow. I tried shading it with my hand and wiping often, but still a lot of water drops got on the front element.

I posted the cake shot to Illustrate that it is not the M8 that can get ghost images with point light sources like candles. I have seen this with my Canons as well.

Robert

doug

A couple more captive raptors:

All photos: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R, shoulder stock & monopod.

doug

A few photos from yesterday in Kailua Hawaii:

Hawaiian race of the Black-necked Stilt:

Hawaiian Coot:

Black-crowned Night Heron"

Tech stuff: R8/DMR, 280 f/4 APO, all except last one with 1.4x APO-Extender-R

I'm not on my regular computer so the colors might be a little off.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug - the raptors are really excellent: expressions, detail, color, isolation of the subject, and the first one from the second series is wonderful as well.

robsteve

Subscriber
How many DMR shooters do we have left here? Is it just Doug, Charles, Jaap and I?

I haven't set up my studio lights in a few years. I took the time over the last week or so to clean out a space for a studio and hang a backdrop a friend had given me. This is a test shot of my son, his dog and a friend that was over for a visit.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rob

I still shoot the DMR about 30% of the time . Waiting impatiently for the R10. Still think the quality is great.

Roger

gero

Robert, In my last trip in the summer I had a water problem and it takes the pictures fine but the monitor image is upsidedown and with very low resolution. I an acostumed to take pictures like this and find it not a big problem. (i sent it to leica and it is not possible to repair)

doug

I'm still here, I've been in Hawaii the last few weeks tending my daughter and new granddaughter:

There's some wildlife here too:

Still not on my regular computer, the colors might not be quite right

robsteve

Subscriber
Doug:

They all look good except for the last one where you either had flare or your black point is off.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
I titled this "Procrastination" In my basement, I had a roll of seamless backdrop I must have bought about seven years ago and never used. Last weekend I got onto Ebay and ordered a set of backdrop stands. The stands arrived today. This is my first shot with the seamless paper that had been sitting unused in the basement all these years.

robsteve

Subscriber
Just to keep this thread alive. I was bored today and decided to play around with panoramas and stitching. This was a stitch of 15 tightly spaced verticals. The original file was over 14,000x3,800 pixels.

I can't figure out how to make the thumbnail link to the 1920 pixel wide image, so here is the wide image.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very nice Robert. I see what appears to be one seam, ever so slightly, in the sky above the stand of pine trees in the center of the image - about 5 trees over from the right. May be just my monitor, though. The reds look perfect!

fotografz

Question for you DMR-guys. Do any of you who also use digital MF-gear feel that the DMR delievers as good tones and IQ as MF, if Megapixel are not the point?
I sold my DMR but feel I can not totally get the same IQ with my M8 and planning to move into MF for that reason (tones, sharpnes, color depth, microdetail). I dont print large. I wondered if I might save the money and just get another R9 and DMR.(I have neber sold the 15/3.5, 19/2.8 and 28-90)

SO how does the DMR compare to MF in your opinion?
Thanks, Thomas
IMO, the DMR still stands as an unique animal in the 35mm DSLR world. More than any other camera it could be considered a miniture version of a MFD camera. No surprise, since it is a 16 bit CCD based sensor and MF maker Imacon provided much of the over-all functionality.

Until the R 10 arrives, probably the closest thing with more features like AF, TTL flash, and image stabilization ... and higher resolution ... would be the Sony A900 and Ziess optics.

But if you already have a bunch of R optics ...

robsteve

Subscriber
Until the R 10 arrives, probably the closest thing with more features like AF, TTL flash, and image stabilization ... and higher resolution ... would be the Sony A900 and Ziess optics.

But if you already have a bunch of R optics ...
How do the Sony images compare to the DMR images? As Tom mentioned above, I haven't found any digital SLR that provides the file quality of the DMR. It is almost like there is more to them, more range and better colour.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Very nice Robert. I see what appears to be one seam, ever so slightly, in the sky above the stand of pine trees in the center of the image - about 5 trees over from the right. May be just my monitor, though. The reds look perfect!
I see that too in the full size image, but more subtle. When I down size the file it becomes more obvious. I am not slick enough with the panorama function of CS3 to figure out how to change these blends manually. Sometimes just processing the same set of files again produces better results. I may try that.

BTW, while talking about pine trees and colour, the DMR is the only digital I have tried that gets evergreens right. The greens are the right tone/colour and there is detail in the shadows. Normal digitals just block it up with darker greens and dense shadows.

Robert

P

Pedro Mendes

I shoot R9+DMR and am waiting for the futur R something,hoping that I can use my R lenses with it.
This one is of today,with the Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100.
Pedro

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Oh yes, it sees plenty of use :) Still, I am waiting to keep it as backup to the R10 ;)

35-70 4.0: