The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

D

ddk

Problem with your analysis is that you are looking at the baseline as being the previous DMR users. Fact is that R lenses have been around to support everything from the R1 to the R9 and there are thousands of them in the field. I think that a superb functioning R10 may well bring many of those users, as well as the previous DMR users into the Leica digital world. JMHO

Woody
I would be very happy if they come out with an R10, but I don't see it happening, the dslr market is way too competitive right now and a fast moving target, very different than 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately all of my favorite dslrs (Fuji/Kodak/dmr) seem to have lost out to bigger market forces, at least Leica is still in the running.

iiiNelson

I don't think it's that important that this is a competitive segment as long as they released a product worth the number that it is priced. No matter what it would be a relatively low volume niche Leica product but there's no doubt they would be able to move 20 times more R10's than S2's. This would be due to a price difference and the install base of R users. The S2 has to create a new market but expected price would dictate it'll compete with MF cameras even if it is a hybrid dSLR/ MF camera. A R10 body priced in the $3500-6000 range could compete quite well with the big brands even if it doesn't have the newest everything as long as the IQ is a step or 2 ahead. The S2 generates buzz and is an exciting product for the select few who can justify the price but the R10 would've likely been a safer bet.

robsteve

Subscriber
When and if the R10 comes out, expect it to be priced similar or slightly more than a Canon 1 series or the Nikon D series equivalent. It was always this way with the film cameras and the DMR/R9 combo that was available as a package after the introduction of the DMR.

What does a 1Ds MkIII or a Nikon D3x sell for?

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
$6500-8000 currently.
My guess is the R10 will probably be 500 dollars/euros more than the D3x list price and since it probably will be in demand it would sell at list for the first few months to a year.

I thought the D3x was a lot more than $8,000.

Robert

iiiNelson

My guess is the R10 will probably be 500 dollars/euros more than the D3x list price and since it probably will be in demand it would sell at list for the first few months to a year.

Robert
No the D3x is "only" $8000... It's kinda of a shame though since it has the same sensor as the a900 which goes for $3000.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
watching

105-280. Am I the only one keeping this thread alive? What happened to the other DMRs:confused::cussing:

woodyspedden

Robert
Actually B&H has been selling the D3X for about $7300 recently.......driven I expect by the 1DsMkIII pricing!

Woody

woodyspedden

No the D3x is "only" $8000... It's kinda of a shame though since it has the same sensor as the a900 which goes for $3000.
It is not clear to me that the sensor in the A900 is the same as that in the D3X. If you look at the test results from DXO you will see the dynamic range is higher for the D3X and other results are higher as well. In fact the performance is only a single point behind the Phase P65+ which of course is a very expensive product. Of course there is no sure fire way to tell because neither Sony Nor Nikon is talking about it.

Could be that Nikon cherry picks the sensors that perform the best (an old semiconductor trick to get top prices for the best performing microprocessors and then "binning" the lesser performing chips to a different price point.} Thus both sensors could come off the same line with the Nikons binned to the top, giving best performance, highest costs etc etc.
That is strictly a supposition on my part and not necessarily true. But it is an old model that may have been dusted off to separate performance between the two cameras. The performance benefit is real and whether it is worth the price difference is up to the consumer.

Woody

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jaap - I'm still here, don't mean to leave you out on a limb so here are a couple of images.

DMR + 80mm

Thanks Jaap and CMB. Let's revive this thread as there's still nothing in 35mm digital with the micro contrast and fine detail of the DMR with APO glass. I personally wouldn't trade the DMR for anything short of a true 16 bit sensor with in-camera image stabilization. The Sony A900 is a consideration as the 800 APO with 1.4 APO TC is a monster to keep steady... but when the effort is made with proper tripod and head the results are mind blowing.

A few more below, all taken with the pre-modular 400 APO 2.8 except for the final shot of the tail detail from a Violet-tailed Sylph. This was taken with the 800 APO... though for some reason the exif indicates the 560. I think Leica put the wrong ROM chip in my 2x focus module. (Check out the mites on the beak of the Sword-bill).