The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What SD cards do you use?

Terry

They should get you by until the SDHC are supported. i sure do hope it is the end of this month. Mine have a lot of mileage on them and starting to concern me. You just don't know how long these hold up until they fail on you. Did your 28 cron show up. Looking forward to my 35 cron coming home tomorrow. My 135 apo is visiting Germany right now for vacation and a lube job. LOL
No it needs a shim and Solms had them to fix my front focus a little.
Shipped the 'cron to my mother in Phila. Didn't feel like driving down today to pick it up. Don't want to tell her how much to insure it for :D to ship it back, so looks like I will have it Friday night.

The three cards will be plenty I was just getting nervous about brands because of the "locked card" error which I've had.

C

Chris Herbert

Question...

I'm trying to decide on getting another couple 2GB cards, now that I use them in both my D-Lus 3 and M8 and since Sandisk has another rebate offer going on. When SDHC is working on the M8, will it simply be higher capacity or is it likely to be a faster write time as well?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Chris i believe we will see faster write times. Which would be very handy on the M8 the buffer is good but does not win races either. I think SDHC will improve performance plus i think better security on the card.

i found this on a site just now

SDHC (Secure Digital High-Capacity) cards are flash memory cards with a minimum capacity of 4GB (gigabytes). SDHC cards provide removable memory for compatible digital devices including cameras, camcorders, PDAs, MP3 players and more. Secure Digital refers to a specific format within the flash card market. SDHC cards are designed for devices that are compatible with the SDHC 2.00 specification. Products designed exclusively to support previous SD specifications 1.0 and 1.1 will not be able to utilize SDHC cards.

The growing demand for high-capacity flash memory springs partially from the increasing use of high-definition video and high-resolution digital photography. SDHC cards meet the challenge of these demanding products not only by providing ample storage but also by introducing a new feature: classifications of data transfer speed (DTS). Consumers can get the best performance value out of their digital products by using flash memory cards that support the device's highest standards for data transfer speed. The SDHC specification 2.00 calls for cards to be classified according to the minimal sustained DTS as follows:

Class 2: minimum sustained DTS of 2MB/sec
Class 4: minimum sustained DTS of 4MB/sec
Class 6: minimum sustained DTS of 6MB/sec
SDHC cards are classified to guarantee a specific sustained DTS. This potentially saves consumers money, as flash cards are priced not only according to capacity, but also to speed. For example, if a product's maximum DTS is 2MB/sec, dishing out extra cash for Class 4 or Class 6 SDHC cards would be a waste of money. Conversely, devices that can utilize the 4MB/sec or 6MB/sec DTR will perform significantly better with Class 4 or Class 6 SDHC cards, respectively.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-sdhc-cards.htm

C

Chris Herbert

Thanks for the education, Guy! Looks like it makes sense to wait a bit for the firmware.

Chris

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
i think we should wait it out. maybe just get a 2gb normal one to hold out for now. i would expect this very soon