The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

280/2.8 APO Telyt Question

woodyspedden

I'm interested too!
I own and use the (should I use the word miraculous?) 280 4.0 apo telyt and find it may be the best lens I have ever seen. I don't know if Doug Herr has and uses this lens, but with this talent this, in combination with the 1.4x extender, could produce images of simply exceptional quality. And Doug, if you don't have this lens, and would want to try, I would be happy to loan mine to you just to see what is possible in the hands of a master.

Best

Woody

doug

Thank you Woody, that's very generous. I have the 280 f/4 APO and 1.4x APO-Extender and I agree it's a spectacular lens!

I'm interested in the 105-280 Vario because I haven't adequately resolved my needs for a shorter lens, for when I'm too successful at getting close to my subjects. I'm presently using the 80-200 f/4 Vario with the STA-1 tripod collar. IMHO the tripod collar is the weak link in this lens. The 180 f/2.8 APO is one possibility but I would use the same tripod collar with this lens (I suspect the 180 APO Summicron will be a bit too hefty to hike with it very far). Another possibility is the 70-180 APO Vario.

robmac

The 180/2 is like carrying a small torpedo warhead around, but does perform sweetly with the 1.4x. I've shot with a borrowed 105-280mm and it was nice (better at long end) but my 180/2.8 APO which RobSteve and I shot it against out-resolved it by a modest margin - but it doesn't have the reach and the 2x on the 1st version 180/2.8 APO knocks the stuffing out of it's IQ.

Would love to see a comparison of the 105-280 vs 70-200.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Strange happenings at KEH

Funny - I just spoke to them on the phone, as I got no e-mail nor a reply to mine... They refuse to take an European Visa or Amex card...Let's see if we can resolve this.

dhsimmonds

I am also interested in the handling and image quality of the F4.2 105-180.

Erwin Puts gave the lens a pretty good report at the 200 and 280 end when stopped down by one stop, but I would still like to learn what a real "in the field" photographer makes of it.

robsteve

Subscriber
Re: Strange happenings at KEH

Funny - I just spoke to them on the phone, as I got no e-mail nor a reply to mine... They refuse to take an European Visa or Amex card...Let's see if we can resolve this.
Is an "American" Express Card not American enough for them :) Tell them to pick up a phone and get the sale authorized the old fashioned way.

I ran into a similar problem in France one early morning on the way to the CDG airport and I couldn't fill up my rental car with the self sevice pumps. I had to search a bit until I found a service station with a human to take my Canadian Visa Card.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber

Erwin Puts gave the lens a pretty good report at the 200 and 280 end when stopped down by one stop, but I would still like to learn what a real "in the field" photographer makes of it.
Dave:

I have had a 105-280mm for about ten years and it is stunning on both film and the DMR. If you have shot the 80-200mm f4 ROM, the 105-280mm is one notch better in quality. At the longer ranges it practically etches the image onto the film or sensor.

This is the 105-280mm shot on film at 105mm.

This is also on film and probably in the 200-280mm range.

woodyspedden

Hi Dave

I had the 105-280 for about two years and really liked it (a lot). Very heavy and long though so for a 70 something like me a bit tough to hand hold. So I ended up with the 180 elmarit and the 280 4.0 along with my 90 APO and am very satisfied although obviously it takes more work to always be changing lenses. I sold my 105-280 to Gogopix and would love to hear his impressions.

Woody

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Re: Strange happenings at KEH

Is an "American" Express Card not American enough for them :) Tell them to pick up a phone and get the sale authorized the old fashioned way.

I ran into a similar problem in France one early morning on the way to the CDG airport and I couldn't fill up my rental car with the self sevice pumps. I had to search a bit until I found a service station with a human to take my Canadian Visa Card.

Robert
The problem seems to be that they fear the payment might be reversed and that they would have trouble in case of a dispute - well, if the lens is as advertised there won't be a dispute, the phrase "cold dead hands" springs to mind, but if I do a wire transfer as they want, where is my customer protection? If it were an e-bay transaction I would run as fast as I could: wire transfer, no e-mail coming through... But as this is a shop of high reputation I will go with the telephone and wire transfer, I guess....

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I guessed wrong.. I have thought it over, no e-mails and a demand for a wire-transfer, that is an Internet no-no in my book, especially with a 3000$ item. There are more of these lenses out there...

dhsimmonds

Thanks Rob and Wayne, all great images so you have "sold" me! Woody I know the problem of carrying heavy gear as I am not too far behind you in the age stakes!

However I do regularly haul 7.5 Kg (16.5lbs) of R9/DMR and lenses around with me, so I will keep at it until I have to reduce the weight a bit!

I guess it is not possible to use a converter on the 105-180 zoom?

jaapv

Subscriber Member
1.4x apo or 2x apo. With outstanding results, I'm told. Both these stacked even gave more than decent results on my 280/4.0 apo, so I suspect you can even stack them on this lens

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
I guess it is not possible to use a converter on the 105-180 zoom?
It will work with either converter. I don't tend to use mine with converters because I have a 400mm f2.8 that I can move up to for longer reach.

I suppose for Jaap's use on a safari, the loss of one or two stops of light would not matter out in the bright daylight.

Robert

jaapv

Subscriber Member
That is correct, Rob, I might add, these converters are amazing. On the 280 apo 4.0 the image quality loss is negligable, if any, and as I said, even stacked to make an 800/11 it is better than cropping. And the lack of weight more than makes up for the lack of speed when hiking in 110 degrees.

Last edited:

robmac

Interesting. I looks at the various forums and at some dealers for lenses often and rarely saw a 105-280/4.2. Now they're as thick as thieves.

jaapv -if reluctant to use wire transfer with KEH (or work thru a US buddy), Kurland Photo (which has a good rep) has at least 3 for sale on their auction site.

KEH does have a stellar rep, but their non-NA sales process can be a PITA and they aren't big on answering emails.

That being said, I usually get an email reply within a day or so. I imagine they are simply inundated with emails.

robsteve

Subscriber
Interesting. I looks at the various forums and at some dealers for lenses often and rarely saw a 105-280/4.2. Now they're as thick as thieves.
Rob:

If searching on Ebay and selecting world wide, you will get more than in the past, but I think it is just that more of the German photo shops are using Ebay now. On some of the international sellers, they are just advertising and may not actually have the lens, but know Leica has some in stock to order.

I don't think there are that many out there just that we are seeing the same ones for sale over and over. If you search completed auctions, I doubt you will see that many of them sold. Actually, I just searched completed and none came up.

BTW, there is one for sale by Samy's Camera in LA. I have dealt with them in the past and they are a large and reputable company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-Zoom-105-...oryZ3341QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Robert