The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting the new Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Wow, I definitely have shots that could become keepers with this plug-in!!!!

I don't have enough of a hit ratio with my 50 lux to be even remotely interested in the nocti. Now the new 24 is something I drool over.
I tried to download the plug in and apparently its not ready for MAC intel?

N

nei1

Why is that? Why a SLR? How do you "use" bokeh on an SLR? What you see in a DSLR viewfinder or on an LCD isn't really accurate to what you'll get in a print anyway.

The same argument could be made for distortion with wide angles which a RF doesn't show either.

So, we should just use a 50mm on a RF and nothing else?
The point of using a rangefinder is that you can see outside the frame,so yes,a rangefinder is only fit to be used with 35,50,75 and possibly 90mm lenses.Wider than this and youre using add on viewfinders where the other advantage of a rf is immaterial,ie the finder doesnt black out as the mirror flips up.
The only point of using a 50mm noctilux is to shoot in low light,the bokeh is a side issue,a bonus,nothing more,however pleasant.

Terry

The point of using a rangefinder is that you can see outside the frame,so yes,a rangefinder is only fit to be used with 35,50,75 and possibly 90mm lenses.Wider than this and youre using add on viewfinders where the other advantage of a rf is immaterial,ie the finder doesnt black out as the mirror flips up.
The only point of using a 50mm noctilux is to shoot in low light,the bokeh is a side issue,a bonus,nothing more,however pleasant.
Actually people do shoot the Noctilux in regular light to get the signature and shallow DOF and use an ND filter to not max out on shutter speed.

gero

David, I see these pictures and they remind me of the old noctilux. I wonder if shooting at bright lights I would feel the same; the old one has the lowest flair I have seen.

woodyspedden

I need help!

I bought Focus Magic and now cannot find a place to put it. Since it is a plug in to CS 4 I tried placing it in all the usual folders from Automate to Extensions, to Filters etc etc. After launching Photoshop following each change in location I could not find the link to Focus magic anywhere e.g. put it in Filters but it was a "no show" in PS CS4 Filters drop down and similarly for other places.

Is the plug in really not Mac compatible (Intel based desktop) or am I doing something stupid (my usual cause for failures LOL)

Help please

Woody

fotografz

I need help!

I bought Focus Magic and now cannot find a place to put it. Since it is a plug in to CS 4 I tried placing it in all the usual folders from Automate to Extensions, to Filters etc etc. After launching Photoshop following each change in location I could not find the link to Focus magic anywhere e.g. put it in Filters but it was a "no show" in PS CS4 Filters drop down and similarly for other places.

Is the plug in really not Mac compatible (Intel based desktop) or am I doing something stupid (my usual cause for failures LOL)

Help please

Woody
Read the instructions. :ROTFL:

I installed it in PSCS3 set to run in Rossetta which is NOT intel based. Not CS4.

I'm running it right now for another wedding photographer because an important image of hers was a product of slight back focus on her Canon.

Marc

woodyspedden

Wow, I definitely have shots that could become keepers with this plug-in!!!!

I don't have enough of a hit ratio with my 50 lux to be even remotely interested in the nocti. Now the new 24 is something I drool over.
Terry

I will have my 24 Lux at the workshop next week so you will have a chance to see for yourself what it can do. So far I am really impressed. Like Marc Williams, I have found significant purple fringing (Not CA in my humble opinion) but which can be eliminated by checking the appropriate box in C1! So in reality, not a real issue.

Looking forward to seeing you next week

Woody

woodyspedden

Thanks for instilling a dose of unrequited love David :ROTFL:

I blew my budget on the 24/1.4 ASPH ... but am searching for a bone marrow or liver transplant gig to raise more cash. :rolleyes:

I've had a Nocti 3 different times during my life-long Leica trek ... and Leica keeps raising both the optical and financial bar. Ahhh, but what price glory huh?

The Voight 1.1 sounds interesting for speed freaks like me, but I fell into that trap once before with the Voight 35/1.2 which was a decent lens until I shot a 35/1.4 ASPH next to it. I suspect the same will be true here.

Hopefully you won't mind, but I applied a piece of software I recently discovered to one of your files. Some folks may be aware of "Focus Magic" already ... but being a fast aperture junky, I was absolutely stunned by what this PS plug-in can do for those ever so soft user error images we tend to get with critical focus lenses like the Nocti, 75/1.4, 50/1.4 , etc.

For $35. one can rescue a ton of "almost" shots and vastly increase their hit ratio. Leica should include this software with every copy of the new Noctilux 0.95 ;) Or retailers should. :ROTFL:

Since it is difficult to work on a web compressed jpg which magnifies artifacts , trust me when I say applying Focus Magic carefully is virtually undetectable on a full resolution screen tiff ... and absolutely impossible to detect in a print. To see a closer representation, click on each image to view it separately.

-Marc
Marc

I also downloaded Focus Magic but (I am an Intel Mac User) I cannot make it work. No matter where i place it in the PS4 plug in's folder it doesn't appear from the menu bar. I know I must a. be doing something stupid or Focus Magic doesn't work in the mac world. Please tell me it is that i am doing something stupid because that tracks my lifelong experiences! LOL

Woody