The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Salgado story and pix- NY Times today

charlesphoto

Thanks for that link. Amazing work. Glad I had a chance to hear him talk years ago.

But you should also know that this project he's been doing, "Genesis" is all shot with Pentax 645 (and maybe 67) cameras. No Leica, though of course that's what he's been most associated with gear wise. Funny, because Pentax 645's are often looked down upon by gear snobs but they obviously do the job, and on the cheap.

Riccis

Yes, because of the hassle when traveling with film he is shooting with the Canon 1Ds MarkIII although he is intrigued by the S2... I hope that the guys in Solms give him the first S2 kit available to use on the ongoing Genesis project, don't you think?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I hope he doesn t sell out to the highest bidder...like all the sports teams wearing Nike. Canon seems to be going after some of the best photojournalists .

I read that he lost months of work due to massive scanning while traveling and that pushed him to digital. It wasn t long ago that he was doing advertising for Kodak Tri x.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
A friend who spent 22 years as a working PJ, looked at these and said, "Compared to him, I've always been an amateur."

Sharokin

I think if you're shooting all B&W like Salgado digital is a viable options as it is fairly easy to get beautiful tones with good PS and printing technique.
A good example is works from James Nachtwey who's previous work in B&W film is virtually indistinguishable from his current digital.
Now color is totally different matter.

fultonpics

he shoots canon 1ds mk3's, then has the files done on 4X5 film. from 4X5 he has the image printed. he explained all of this a few weeks ago in SF. He did mention he would look at the new leica but felt the canon files were great. btw, the canon, and nikon, both produce wonderful color files (albeit different at base setting).

DavidL

He is certainly one of the greats.
I heard he gave up film because he could no longer get the results he wanted from it, as in too little silver. Maybe why he moved up to medium format. In Salgado's case the equipment hardly comes into the equation. Apart from Werner Bishof, to me the complete photographer, and Gunter Ziesler in wildlife (I shot it for twenty years) Salgado, is in my opinion, as good as it gets in his field. I always thought Cartier Bresson was overrated, So what do I know?
David

woodyspedden

If Leica does not give him the new S2 (The first if life is really fair!!) then they deserve no place in the markets of the future. This man has done more for Leica, and photography in general, that no matter what they give him to get the shots the world needs is too cheap a price.

Monomentous Salvatore

Woody Spedden

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One of the greatest photographers for sure.

I knew that he was using a MF system for this work but did not know that it was a Pentax. I am also surprised that he still uses film. Maybe this should tell us something ;)

On the other side I would think this shows he would not be too happy with a S2, since this is digital :cool: