The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried Luigi Crescenzi's M8 bases?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger

The bases are supplied by an independent company . Luigi is simply reselling them. We looked at the bases during the PR workshop . The first question was .....what problem are you trying to solve.

It is very important for the proper and reliable operation of the M8 to have a charged battery. The funky hard to replicate random failures typically occur when the battery isn t fully charged. As the batteries age the lose capacity so you might only get a few hundred images on a charge....new you can get 400 under certain circumstances. Since a 4gb card shooting raw has capacity for 380 files..its at the limit of the battery. Since I use 2 bodies ......I will typically shoot 2-300 images at most in a 2-3 hr session on the street. I always change the battery and the cards together. So I always need to take off the baseplate anyway.

The other issue is that it provides another opening to the camera in a bad spot and has no weather sealing. The opening in the case actually loses the advantage of the case protecting the bottom.

Finally the bottom is lighter weight and not as sturdy as the leica bottom.

So my assessment was this is a solution looking for a problem.

monza

The baseplate is actually Luigi's design -- I should know, I developed it and sold the design to him. :) He manufactures them in Italy.

The Leica baseplate has no weather sealing, either.

He's engineered a second version with battery access now.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The baseplate is actually Luigi's design -- I should know, I developed it and sold the design to him. :) He manufactures them in Italy.

The Leica baseplate has no weather sealing, either.

He's engineered a second version with battery access now.
Sorry not the way I understood it when I saw the original. I stand corrected. However the baseplate has an opening on the bottom right where you would set the camera down and this has to be open(covered by a flap ) even if you have a case on the body.

My point being that you have to decide if the benefits outway this consideration. The battery access will of course take care of the other issue I raised.

monza

Well, yes...to get to the SD card and battery, there are little doors. No getting around that, every other digital camera except the M8 has them. :)

I haven't seen his version two, with the battery access. It looks like he's using rare earth magnets on the doors, pretty nifty idea. And the doors don't appear to be flaps, but solid doors, for better sealing.

I'd like to try it out but no longer have an M8...

beamon

Thanks, guys. Yes, there is now access to both battery and memory card through doors of some kind. As Monza said, the base is probably not much worse with water than leica's own non-waterproof cover.

Must be someone out there who has experience with Luigi's latest model.