The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R moderate telephotos

bensonga

Finally found a late model Elmarit 135mm from KEH in EX+ condition....very reasonably priced at $254. Some really nice shots with the 135 posted here and other info on the web convinced me to keep looking, and looking and looking. Never thought this 135mm lens would be so hard to find.

Still thinking about a 180 and whether to get the Apo-Telyt 3.4 or the Elmarit 2.8.

Gary

fotografz

Finally found a late model Elmarit 135mm from KEH in EX+ condition....very reasonably priced at $254. Some really nice shots with the 135 posted here and other info on the web convinced me to keep looking, and looking and looking. Never thought this 135mm lens would be so hard to find.

Still thinking about a 180 and whether to get the Apo-Telyt 3.4 or the Elmarit 2.8.

Gary
I have a 135/2.8 German left over from my DMR portrait shooting days ... looks just like the one in your photo Gary. If you still want one ... $225. plus USPS shipping. Really good copy.

I never liked the 180/3.4 ... killer at infinity, but I didn't like the characteristics at portrait distances. The 135 was much more suited for that.

I also had the 180/2.8 APO ROM ... which was great, but bigger, and far to brutally honest for portraits.

Depends on application. For shooting people, the 80/1.4 and 135/2.8 where my go to R lenses ... I avoided the M90AA and went for the M90/2.8 for the same reasons.

-Marc

paulmoore

I have a 135/2.8 German left over from my DMR portrait shooting days ... looks just like the one in your photo Gary. If you still want one ... $225. plus USPS shipping. Really good copy.

I never liked the 180/3.4 ... killer at infinity, but I didn't like the characteristics at portrait distances. The 135 was much more suited for that.

I also had the 180/2.8 APO ROM ... which was great, but bigger, and far to brutally honest for portraits.

Depends on application. For shooting people, the 80/1.4 and 135/2.8 where my go to R lenses ... I avoided the M90AA and went for the M90/2.8 for the same reasons.

-Marc
I second what marc says on most there..I too really liked the 135 on the dmr
and I think if I were doing more vista landscapes the 180mm3.4 would be the one I would look for.
I always wanted the 180f2 but never could justify the extra mula.
great price marc, the 135 has to be the best r lens value out there..

bensonga

-Marc
Aaargh! Holy cow Marc....what else have you got in the back of your closet? If I had known you had one...I definitely would have bought it from you. Darn!

Gary

P.S. I love the Hasselblad 350mm CF lens...and all the other V-series stuff I've bought from you.

Got anything else hidden away you want to part with...that I can afford?

bensonga

I always wanted the 180f2 but never could justify the extra mula.
No kidding! With my budget, I'll have to settle for a 2.8 or 3.4 lens.

great price marc, the 135 has to be the best r lens value out there..
Agreed...just wish I had bought Marc's. Even so, I'm amazed to get this lens for ~$250.

gary

bensonga

I not sure where this goes, here, Canon or Analog but I'll put it here where all things Leica are admired.
Here is my new/old super clean APO 180/3.4 E60 2 Cam.

Plan to use it on the FF Canon bodies and a Leicaflex SLR2 I pick up tomorrow. I've all ready been to Austin and back today. Won't have any Canon images till late next week. The post office was closed last week for May Day in Hong Kong. Should have some C41 film images up by Monday or Tuesday in the Analog forum.
I feel like buying a 180/3.4, just in honor of John Stovall.

Gary

bensonga

I'm selling my APO 280/4 and extenders (1.4x, 2x) - let me know if interested.

Oops, didn't notice the posting date. Never mind. :)
Still looking Jan...so posting date is a non-issue. However, I'm guessing that my bank account wouldn't support the purchase of a 280 APO. That must be one very pricey lens.

Gary

bensonga

Yes, I agree! Bought this lens for only € 150,-- I am very content with it.
Here is an example.
Kind regards, Michiel

Still one of my favorite photos from the Elmarit 135.....I hope the lens I bought will be nearly this good.

And one with the Leica 180mm APO Telyt 3.4 Love this lens for pictures with a lot of DOF.

I really love those images Michiel.

Gary

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Still looking Jan...so posting date is a non-issue. However, I'm guessing that my bank account wouldn't support the purchase of a 280 APO. That must be one very pricey lens.
I just checked ebay prices, and HOLY CRAP. The extenders aren't cheap either. Leica prices have really gone stratospheric since I bought this lens in 2005 or so. :eek: