The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C/Y mount to R?

S

sirvine

My friend gave me an S2 along with the lenses, but boy is it ever hard to motivate myself to pack it when I go out to shoot!

PSon

We should not be surprised the technical involvement of adapting lens. Look at the Leica M series as an example. The same Leica lens on the Leica body has to be adjusted to make it work perfectly and even at time it cannot be calibrated. Sometimes we get them right and sometimes we cannot but we should resolve the problems at hand and move forward. However, it is essential that we must recognize the problem and willing to change it. When you are using equipments at this level you must have some understanding of the gears. Fear is the destruction to knowledge/creativity and experience is the best mentor you will find. Learn from those that has gone before you and take it to another level so you can come back and tell them something new; that is progress and contribution.

-Son

Last edited:

fotografz

The information is being offered in a vacuum, and is only as good as it applies to each individuals' applications. One person may find that using adapted lenses is fine for their applications, where another may find it a PITA to use them, even when adjusted perfectly.

My main application is shooting people in available light ... often people who are not standing still and are not aware of being photographed. When mounted on a Canon 1 Series camera, even with a focus confirmation adapter, the instance of missed focus made it not worth it. The instances of in-focus images were much much higher with the same lens mounted on an Contax RX.

Others may use them in a completely different manner and have a much higher rate of success.

PSon

The information is being offered in a vacuum, and is only as good as it applies to each individuals' applications. One person may find that using adapted lenses is fine for their applications, where another may find it a PITA to use them, even when adjusted perfectly.

My main application is shooting people in available light ... often people who are not standing still and are not aware of being photographed. When mounted on a Canon 1 Series camera, even with a focus confirmation adapter, the instance of missed focus made it not worth it. The instances of in-focus images were much much higher with the same lens mounted on an Contax RX.

Others may use them in a completely different manner and have a much higher rate of success.
Well said!

S

sirvine

Believe me, your points are well taken here and I appreciate the level of input I'm getting. The bottom line is that these lenses will drive me nuts until I get them working, whether on film, digital or otherwise! For me, it's only a question of how best to spend the money. Between Marc and Son, though, I'm in the company of a couple of people who are known to go the extra mile (and then some), and I certainly take some inspiration from this.

If you detect any hesitation on my part, it is only how and when to best part with a few thousand dollars to do these lenses justice in a digital world. You can be assured that I will exhaust all options before selling them in this case.

robmac

A very, very good option would be one of the newer Canon bodies with LiveView.

Played with a 40D the other day. While the camera itself left me somewhat ho-hum, LV was sweet and addictive. Made manual focusing a doddle. You just watch the plane of focus move back and forth as you focused. Must have taken 50 shots with a EF 100 Macro in MF mode and nary a missed shot.

S

sirvine

Took your advice, Rob... (Please excuse the pet-modeling.) All shots on 1Dmk3 with the 50 and 85. Many of these are at ISO3200 and in near darkness. Impressive! Live view is the key to nailing focus, it seems.

S

sirvine

BTW, to get back on topic for this forum...what's the best R-mount adaptor for this new Canon of mine?

robmac

Nicely done - how about a lens as a consulting fee? ;> Hell, I said rent a camera, not buy a new 1DS3...! Sweet.

A lot of folks have luck with various eBay adapters, but the best are usually considered to be Cameraquest (made by Kindai I think) and Fotodiox. I have some $80 eBay units that always seem to need adjusting (see www.pebbleplace.com for procedure) and am now going to Stephen Gandy at www.cameraquest.com.

Don't bother with focus confirmation units. At best they are an approximation only. At close range and wide apertures, they are very rarely accurate.

Get either the optional prism, Ec-S or the focus screen designed for the 1Rns (sic) that is 1/2 a stop brighter for easier non-LV focusing.

Well done

R

robmac

Forgot to ask - how do you like the 35 and the 85? Am thinking of a 35/1.4 as the 35 lux won't mount on a Canon. Your Pom looks stressed...

S

sirvine

The 35 seems pretty great. I'll post some images when I get a chance. BTW, I picked up a used 1DMK3 for a song. Haven't noticed any mirror clearance issues.

S

sirvine

From the kitchen studio, some focus "tests". All handheld @1.4 with the 35. First two are ISO50, last one ISO1600. Healthy dose of "just getting used to the feel of this body and lens" applies.

robmac

Nice . Sorry mis-read your first post, thought you'd bought a 1DS3... Yeah lots of 1D3s out there from PO'd owners; but if you're not doing AF work.....

Lens looks very nice.

S

sirvine

It's actually a great platform for my purposes because I don't care about rapid-fire AF. The crop and smaller MP doesn't bother me at all.

robmac

Nice bokeh as well. With LV and it's good high ISO performance and very modest crop (trims off those soft outer edges from many a lens), a cheap 1D3 makes a great platform as you say. How much USM do you find you have to do to overcome the AA filter?

S

sirvine

I'm still bothered by the fact that Canon's AA filter seems to turn straight lines into wavy lines at the pixel peeping level. I don't think sharpening is much of a solution, but it's better than nothing. I apply about half the slider for sharpening in Aperture 2's raw fine tuning, and maybe as much as a quarter of the slider for post-RAW sharpening. I haven't gotten my Canon post processing formula down yet, though.