The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm happy as a pig with the new 15mm Heliar..

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Last week the stars aligned just right in in one frantic week I bought and sold a bunch of Olympus gear and my old LTM CV. I just got the new M-mount with the rangefinder coupling and a B+W IR cut filter in the mornings mail and I like it. I'm looking forward to using it on the M8 a lot and also the M7. It gives an 84 degree Fov on the M8 and a 100 degree on the M7.

I find focusing lets me have much more control over where the primary focus point is and then play with the hyperfocus.

Just a quick and dirty shot with the M8.

rchisholm

I, too, find that the rangefinder coupled focusing on the new M mount 15 is a true boon. The new lens seems every bit as sharp as the previous version, the design is easier to focus and the ability to add a filter without a pricey filter adapter is great! A few from the Portland Blues Festival.

Last edited:
T

thomasw_

..... I just got the new M-mount with the rangefinder coupling ... It gives an 84 degree Fov on the M8 and a 100 degree on the M7.....
Hi John,

I thought it gave a 110 degree FoV on full frame 135 film?

Just wondering,

Thomas

Arne Hvaring

Last week the stars aligned just right in in one frantic week I bought and sold a bunch of Olympus gear and my old LTM CV. I just got the new M-mount with the rangefinder coupling and a B+W IR cut filter in the mornings mail and I like it. I'm looking forward to using it on the M8 a lot and also the M7. It gives an 84 degree Fov on the M8 and a 100 degree on the M7.

I find focusing lets me have much more control over where the primary focus point is and then play with the hyperfocus.

Just a quick and dirty shot with the M8.

I can well understand your enthusiasm for this lens; small, cheap and sharp. I bought mine well before the M8 was even an idea, for my M6. With the advent of the M8 it became my "very wide" on that body, and using the 21mm (FF) viewfinder proved surprisingly accurate framing.
Here are a few shots with that combination.

Last edited:

hdrmd

I agree. The new version with rangefinder coupling makes the lens much better . For the two weeks I have had it, it has rarely been off the camera. DR

francishmt

I got mine too. For some reason using a B+W filter, I see significant colour shift at the corners. You guys don't have that problem????

Also, isn't the lens supposed to have recessed spaces so that you can hand code the lens? I read that from Sean Reid's review, but my lens didn't have those recess (I am pretty sure it's the Version II lens, as it mounts without an adapter, attaches 52mm filter etc).

ampguy

No color shifts here, latest M8 firmware, no coding, no filter.

Examples here

I got mine too. For some reason using a B+W filter, I see significant colour shift at the corners. You guys don't have that problem????

Also, isn't the lens supposed to have recessed spaces so that you can hand code the lens? I read that from Sean Reid's review, but my lens didn't have those recess (I am pretty sure it's the Version II lens, as it mounts without an adapter, attaches 52mm filter etc).

francishmt

That's what I am surprised about. With no filters or coding, the lens seems to work fine. Once you add a filter on it, the colour is ugly. I think I will have to refund the filter if the lens works just fine without it.

What are others experience?

ampguy

Don't have a 52 UV/IR filter yet. but have coded mine as a WATE.

However, am currently using lens detection off, just experimenting with the coding options.

Probably will eventually get a 52mm UV/IR filter, but reserve for black magenta issue use only.

That's what I am surprised about. With no filters or coding, the lens seems to work fine. Once you add a filter on it, the colour is ugly. I think I will have to refund the filter if the lens works just fine without it.

What are others experience?

ampguy

Great photos, are you coding and setting lens detection? if so, what are you coding as, and if WATE, what size? Thanks!

I, too, find that the rangefinder coupled focusing on the new M mount 15 is a true boon. The new lens seems every bit as sharp as the previous version, the design is easier to focus and the ability to add a filter without a pricey filter adapter is great! A few from the Portland Blues Festival.

francishmt

I just got my CV15mm m-mount; however, I don't see how one can handcode it. I think according to Reids review, it has a built in design for easy handcoding. Anyone can share how theirs look like and how to handcode this lens?