The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paris ...21/1.4 on the streets

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Just back from 9 days of non stop streeting shooting in Paris. As I edit through about 1500 images , I couldn t be more pleased with the performance of the new 21/1.4 asph. The extra 2 stops over the 21/2.8asph (a favorite for street shooting).....made the 21 available for night shooting. The following 5 images should tell the story.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Great shots :thumbs: I'm with you, with this lens on the M8 I find it hard to take a bad photograph. It is a winner! :) Just look at that bokeh in shot #1!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great shots. Just the kind of photos that make me think that spending too much money on too expensive cameras and lenses might be worth it anyway :p

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The dog shot was 4 ft from the subject and at f1.4....you can see the DOF in the stones .

The big advantage is working with 1.4 lens at dawn or dusk. I paired the 21 with the 35 or 50 lux asph at night tried to stay at ISO 320 as long as I could. The 21 and the 35 look like a matched set ..same color and contrast.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Beautiful stuff Roger. The 21 Lux might be the perfect street lens, and is perfectly suited to your style of shooting. I'm curious - did you use a tripod on the last shot of the Eiffel Tower or is it hand-held?

I'm really looking forward to seeing more selections from your trip.

David

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Beautiful stuff Roger. The 21 Lux might be the perfect street lens, and is perfectly suited to your style of shooting. I'm curious - did you use a tripod on the last shot of the Eiffel Tower or is it hand-held?

I'm really looking forward to seeing more selections from your trip.

David
The Eiffel Tower shot was hand held on a stone ledge . Tripod would be sharper(and a lot easier) but we went on the spur of the moment and I didn t have it with me.

atanabe

Roger,
Great shots! Love the shot of the dogs, a very strong angle to shoot them from. Look forward to seeing more posts.

Al

Good stuff Roger. Can't wait to see more. The 21/1.4 is a great lens and you've done a great job showing its qualities. Of course the person behind the lens matters also.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The following may further illustrate the character of the new 21/1.4. Two sunny day shots followed by 100% sections. To my eye this lens has all the sharpness I need and is limited by the photographer,the sensor especially at 640 and my attempts to properly process the files. The micro contrast can be seen in the flag and the separation of tones in both the highlights and shadows. The final image is really how the lens is intended to differentiate itself in a low light situation. The lights come on at 10 30pm this time of year in Paris ....this image was Iso 640,f1.4,1/45 ..so its loss in IQ is due to ISO ,DOF and camera shake.

The Jpegs lost a lot from the originals ...the 100% crops are much sharper than the illustration but you get the idea. Best comparison is similar to the 35/1.4asph rendering .

endre novak

Just back from 9 days of non stop streeting shooting in Paris. As I edit through about 1500 images , I couldn t be more pleased with the performance of the new 21/1.4 asph. The extra 2 stops over the 21/2.8asph (a favorite for street shooting).....made the 21 available for night shooting. The following 5 images should tell the story.
all seem great, the first showing off the best dof effect.
details of the flag on one of the latter post are incerdible, indeed.

Bébèrt

Most beautifull shots.
Just as quick comPARISon a few shots with the poor-man's 21mm; the VC Color Scopar f4.

First iso 160 + 100% crop

Second iso 640 + 100%crop

but .... no bokeh.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Roger,

that 21/1.4 is impressive! If I still had an M8, it would be my new favorite lens ;)

And that shot of the Eiffel Tower (from the steps of Sacre Coeur?) is outstanding!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Eiffel Tower shot is from the edge of the Palais de Chaillot. Pretty common vantage point. I tried to get dead center and braced the M8 on the stone ledge . It took a few shots to get everything aligned. Night shooting in Paris is amazing ..this was after 10 30pm so almost all light is artificial.

I put out a working set of 100 images ( still can t edit my work worth a darn) on my website. You can see how well matched the 21 is to the 35 and the 50 asph .

kevinparis

roger

some great shots

and Jack... you made a Paris person smile... I know leica lenses are good... but the steps of Sacre Couer are several miles from the eiffel tower.... and actually not even in line of sight :)

still I am a little concerned with rogers dog fetish :)

best wishes to all

Kevin

Last edited: