The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

H

Haya

Hi LJ thanks for your input it's reassuring to hear that you can still enjoy the nokton 1.2 even though you own a noctilux ! :)

I was reading a thread on LUF regarding the Summarit and thought maybe I am expecting too much from the nokton but now I'm pretty sure I made the right decision and I can't wait to get my hands on the lens <prays to the fedex gods for an early delivery>

about the cv 15/4.5 I don't know if I'll be able to code and filter it seems like a hassle to me especially since I live half way around the world and really have no experience with making any sort of modifications to my lenses I hope it will work just as well naked ;)

LJL

about the cv 15/4.5 I don't know if I'll be able to code and filter it seems like a hassle to me especially since I live half way around the world and really have no experience with making any sort of modifications to my lenses I hope it will work just as well naked ;)
Haya,
Naked is good on the CV 15 for most shooting. The only times that I have found the UV/IR filter and coding to matter are shooting things that do have a lot of IR "problems" already noted, e.g., synthetic black fabrics under tungsten light or even in bright sun. The only other place were some folks found it to matter for their shooting is with new foliage....it tends to give off a lot of IR and sometimes that may cause the colors of greens to look a bit odd. (Another participant on this forum and others, Jono Slack, has seen some of this, I believe.) For the most part, shooting with the CV 15 is just great and does not really need the filter/coding.

If you decide at some point that you might want to pursue that, a great guy by the name of John Milich (a member on this forum and others), mills a new LTM>M mount for the CV 15 that brings up the proper register for the lens tables in the M8 software, and it has the little wells in place to allow you to code the lens to mimic the Leica 16-18-21 WATE lens. I think he also has a filter holder piece for the lens to allow you to use a Leica 39mm UV/IR filter with it. It all seems to work very nicely for folks. (I did my own mods before John had his offering.) Just offering this up as a suggestion for some future consideration if you get interested.

In the meantime, enjoy shooting and sharing your experiences here.

LJ

scott kirkpatrick

The CV15/4 crams in so much that a little purplish black may not seem out of place, and there are postprocessing tricks to darken those colors (the Jamie Roberts profiles for PhaseOne, in particular). I highly recommend the Milich mount for a durable coding (as a WATE or a 21 Elmarit), but if you don't want to do that, use Cornerfix to correct any image in which you don't care for the vignetting. This also corrects the red vignetting which occurs even without an IR-cut filter. Finally, the M-Coder solution, while not permanent, works pretty well to ink on the markings. If "halfway around the world" means Israel, I'll be back there in September and you are welcome to try mine.

scott

H

Haya

Thanks again LJ at least I know what to expect now with regards to IR I guess I'll just have to try it out and see if the images I take require the filter with time.

Scott thanks for the offer but it's a bit further east than Israel, I'm in Bahrain. I guess I will try out the cornerfix software and if it's not very practical I'll go for the Milich adapter!

Last edited:

LJL

Those work for me.....great stuff, Maggie.

Were I doing the CV 15 stuff today, I would go with the Milich set-up (adapter and filter holder), but I did my mods on my own....replaced the LTM>M that shipped with the CV 15 with a Leica 28/90 mount I ordered online. Did my own coding (that M-Coder tool would have been handy, but was not available at the time). I used the O-ring technique to install the Leica 39mm UV/IR cut filter into the existing CV 15 tiny shade and all works fine. More of tinker exercise, and why I would recommend the Milich stuff today.

The CornerFix software tool works quite well also, so one can shoot naked and fix anything in post if they felt the need.

Things have come a long way since those early confusing days in Nov 2006 when some of us were mumbling (WTF?) about the magenta seen on folks in our indoor shots ;-)

LJ

Maggie O

The only downside to the Milich filter holder is that it is comparatively large. A tiny lens without it, the CV15 becomes my biggest lens with it.

Cornerfix works aces (provided you've got a good profile to work with), but unless you're willing to delete the original .DNGs the duplicate files eat up space crazy fast.

LJL

The only downside to the Milich filter holder is that it is comparatively large. A tiny lens without it, the CV15 becomes my biggest lens with it.

Cornerfix works aces (provided you've got a good profile to work with), but unless you're willing to delete the original .DNGs the duplicate files eat up space crazy fast.
Had not realized it was that large on the front end. My Rube Goldberg version keeps the CV 15 at the same size.....even use the supplied felt-lined lens cap on mine. Only downside is loss of lens shading to some degree, but I have yet to find it much a problem.

As for eating up extra space with files.....well, at 16TB of storage and growing, most of that is a "rounding error" in my thinking, but it does add up after a while :eek:

LJ

H

Haya

mmm TB lol I need me some of those ! I have way less than a TB I think I need to buy more storage I just need to find something portable I can't leave my photos away from my laptop I always feel the need to browse my stuff!

Maggie O

Sean, my offer to lend you my lens for testing still stands, FWIW.

On that note, does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the backfocusing issue? I'd really like to be able to be reasonably sure of wide-open focus. When I get it right, this lens makes gorgeous photos.

jonoslack

Hi There
I use the Milich adaptor for coding, as for the filter, I stuck pushed a 39mm B&W filter into the built in lens hood with a little pritt on it around a year ago, and it's stayed put since then (I'm sure I could pull it out if I wanted to). The lens is just the same size as it was (and the original push on lens hood works).

I actually think that coding and filter IS a must - I shot without for 9 months, determinedly thinking it was only black synthetics which were wrong, but I think that most foliage is wrong, especially in the springtime.

I found that the slightly stronger B&W IR filter was better with the 15mm when coded as a WATE. (normally the Leica filters work better with coding on).

woodyspedden

Sean, my offer to lend you my lens for testing still stands, FWIW.

On that note, does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the backfocusing issue? I'd really like to be able to be reasonably sure of wide-open focus. When I get it right, this lens makes gorgeous photos.
Same for me Sean. Your call

Woody

H

Haya

I'm gonna hijack this thread again regarding the 15mm Heliar I have a question to all of you who use the Milich hood w/ filter what do you use for a lens cap as the stock lens cap won't fit with the hood?

Maggie O

I'm not 100% positive on the size. Also, I had to file the interior ridge out of it for it to really fit well.

H

Haya

well it's good enough that one can possibly fit a lens cap I wasn't sure if you had to remove the hood every time you wanted to cover the lens, Ill just have to take the hood with me to the camera shops and look for a cap that will fit, which will be a HUGE challenge living in the 3rd world and all.

Maggie O

well it's good enough that one can possibly fit a lens cap I wasn't sure if you had to remove the hood every time you wanted to cover the lens, Ill just have to take the hood with me to the camera shops and look for a cap that will fit, which will be a HUGE challenge living in the 3rd world and all.
I hear ya. Or, as my friend Nicholas, who is from Trinidad, said to me when we met at university:

"Nebraska? Excellent! Another student form a 3rd world country!! We shall be fast friends!" (and we were, too.)