The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21-Elmarit - New Dilemma

D

Digital Dude

Today I will receive my long awaited silver 50’lux from my dealer. This joins my 28-‘cron as part two of my three-piece lens set. My third lens was going to be the 21-Elmerit although I now have some concerns. Unquestionably, I still want very much the 21-’El for home interiors although I’m getting seasick with all this talk of a possible FF M8. Specifically, I’ve read some threads that suggest that if this comes to pass, then the current 21 and 24 may not be as suitable as it is today. I have no idea what that means so I need a sanity check before committing to my next lay-a-way.
Regards,:confused:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt there would be a problem.
If there is a FF M* in the future, the only issue you might have is that all your lenses would produce a wider field of view. As far as I am concerned that would be ok, but might tempt me to look for a longer lens at the top end.
BTW, that 21 is a real fine piece of glass.
-bob

LJL

Daniel,
Congrats on the silver Lux. Looks to be a beauty.

Your question about the 21/2.8 somehow being less suitable IF (and that is a huge question right now) Leica does go to a FF for the M8(9), is a bit curious. Essentially, IF there is a FF digital M, the 21/2.8 will behave similarly to how the CV 15/4.5 does now on the present M8, as far as angle of view goes. With respect to composing things, is that you will probably have to use an external viewfinder, just as is needed with the CV 15 if you are really working hard to get composition, versus "guesstimating" and checking things on the LCD.

If the issue of suitability is related to edge details, and whether a FF sensor will be able to handle the wider lenses.....I do not think anybody has definitive information there, as there is no full-sized sensor in the M8 yet. Best comparison to date may be looking at the performance of these lenses on a film M. if the edges and corners are very sharp, that may translate quite well to a FF sensor if there are also good micro-lens alignments as are done on the present M8 sensor. Bottom line, nobody really knows yet, and those that might are not talking about it.

As an aside, I shoot a Zeiss 25/2.8 on my M8 and have no issues/problems at all. I did swap the lens mount and code it as a Leica 24/2.8, and I use a filter on it, but the results are excellent, in my opinion, and the camera firmware corrects what little vignetting and cyan corners there were. I do not have any point of comparison with the Leica 21/2.8, but others here may be able to offer their thoughts.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Bob said. Not only an IF but a pretty hefty WHEN as to full frame M-whatever. In the meantime, the current M8 produces stunning images and will continue to do so. Interestingly, I just snagged a 135 APO for those rare occasions I want a long view, and in anticipation of FF, which admittedly may never happen now...

However, even if we never get any more digital M's, I'm happy with the ones I've got and the stable of lenses I've built around them. My big hope is that Leica is at least in business long enough to keep them serviced and running for as long as I can still raise them to my eye...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 21mm is a stellar lens and happy i bought one for sure. The bottom line for me and leica is simply this. there is nothing out there beating it up in image quality and until that day comes than me and my clients are really pretty damn happy. Going and looking at my images from Moab i can assure you the only thing that would have beat up my M8 on that trip maybe a only MF back. You can have all the Nikons and canons in the world which they both make stellar camera's but none of them match my images coming off a M8 or DMR for that matter. I would switch systems on a dime if i thought there was something better and anyone that really knows me has not only seen me do it 3 times but knows i am nuts enough to do it. Nothing is sacred in my bag. if it don't produce it is gone. Right now i am pretty darn happy with what i have and all the BS coming from the recent on goings at Leica is just that BS. Now from my seat if Photokinia does not have a M plan in it than i will move on to something else. I need to stay on top of the curve but I have faith in Leica to announce something smart on the M also. Not to mention the R10 and what that may bring

Guy Mancuso

The 21mm is a stellar lens and happy i bought one for sure. The bottom line for me and leica is simply this. there is nothing out there beating it up in image quality and until that day comes than me and my clients are really pretty damn happy. Going and looking at my images from Moab i can assure you the only thing that would have beat up my M8 on that trip maybe a only MF back. You can have all the Nikons and canons in the world which they both make stellar camera's but none of them match my images coming off a M8 or DMR for that matter. I would switch systems on a dime if i thought there was something better and anyone that really knows me has not only seen me do it 3 times but knows i am nuts enough to do it. Nothing is sacred in my bag. if it don't produce it is gone. Right now i am pretty darn happy with what i have and all the BS coming from the recent on goings at Leica is just that BS. Now from my seat if Photokinia does not have a M plan in it than i will move on to something else. I need to stay on top of the curve but I have faith in Leica to announce something smart on the M also. Not to mention the R10 and what that may bring
I still may add a Nikon to my system but that is for specific reasons .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I still may add a Nikon to my system but that is for specific reasons .
And you should clarify what those specific reasons are, so folks understand.

Let me guess... For all the stuff the M isn't good for, such as anything where SLR view or good AF gives better results like: longer telephoto, tilt-shift for product or tabletop and macro ???

:D,

D

Digital Dude

Thanks for the feedback. Based on these responses and the less than reliable information from Leica, I may just hold off on any new Leica gear until something more tangible is published in September. However, I still may well opt for the shutter update, provided Leica doesn’t recant the program. Frankly, I doubt that Leica will have many takers by the time they send out the certificates since the dollar just hit another all time super low.
Regards,:cool:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

And you should clarify what those specific reasons are, so folks understand.

Let me guess... For all the stuff the M isn't good for, such as anything where SLR view or good AF gives better results like: longer telephoto, tilt-shift for product or tabletop and macro ???

:D,
Wise ass. i have no bloody reason, just want one so there. LOL

No just kidding i do need a long tele and stuff for product work. But I get more done with a M system than i should probably try to be honest.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I will refresh my Nikons as well.
My reasons are telephoto in the 400mm range which I use for shooting wildlife (means I will probably do a D300), macro, and shooting hockey games (hmmm might mean a D3).
Now that you mention it, that new tilt-shift lens looks pretty good too (er D3 again).
Glad the kids have graduated and flown the coop
-bob

vieri

Today I will receive my long awaited silver 50’lux from my dealer. This joins my 28-‘cron as part two of my three-piece lens set. My third lens was going to be the 21-Elmerit although I now have some concerns. Unquestionably, I still want very much the 21-’El for home interiors although I’m getting seasick with all this talk of a possible FF M8. Specifically, I’ve read some threads that suggest that if this comes to pass, then the current 21 and 24 may not be as suitable as it is today. I have no idea what that means so I need a sanity check before committing to my next lay-a-way.
Regards,:confused:
A great lens indeed! :D Still having one pre-ASPH, Leica CLA'd & coded for sale, PM me if you are interested.

H

Huwge

Daniel,
why not get an old M6 and see whether you can borrow a 21 and 24 - you'll then see what you get with FF. You shouldn't lose anything on the experiment, hell you might keep the M6 before jumping on a lovely black paint MP
Huw

Daniel

speaking of the 21-elmarit and the m8, is an external view finder necessary for this combo, or the m8 view finder has the frame lines for this lens?

Maggie O

IMO, the M8's finder isn't wide enough to use it in the sense of having a rangefinder-like finder where you see the context of your shot- it's just too tight.

I use a 28mm Voigtländer finder with my CV 21 and it works perfectly. The DOF on the lens is deep enough that you really only need to do a quick check of the focus.

Terry

speaking of the 21-elmarit and the m8, is an external view finder necessary for this combo, or the m8 view finder has the frame lines for this lens?
I just use the full viewfinder edge to edge for framing and then review the shots on the LCD

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I just ordered a D300 and a 24-70 today ... after weeks of agonizing over the fact that I miss my longer lenses.

Since I'm uncertain about an R10 future, I thought that I might as well explore the D300 and find out a little more about Nikon's tele line-up for wildlife while I wait to see if anything shakes out of Photokina 2008 with Leica.

It's great to be able to get a camera with some of the latest sensor technology, a raved about zoom, an extra battery and 2 high speed flash cards for a price that is less than many new M lens prices.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Thinking the same thing Kurt. I have the 5D and thinking of selling it for the D300. I'm just not a fan of these canon bodies and i would not mind some of the new features that the nikon offers . i am probably going to lose a little with image quality between the two but i really don't care. I would get the D3 but it still does not beat my M8 in regards to ultimate resolution. maybe when they bump it up some . Still debating this. I actually start a job Sunday and would have been nice if i had the D300 to work with but i can't turn the 5d that fast with a 200 2.8 and 100 macro and get the Nikon and some type of tele

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I hear you, Guy. I'm really curious to spend a little time to mess around with the files on the D300. From what I've read, with the D300 you might get a stop and a half on noise (incredible anyway) but the image quality is very close. I'm thinking that I'd rather have the extra reach and the $3000 if the difference in file quality is nearly the same.