The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What does "Bokeh" mean to YOU?

Gary P

Hi All,

It's been slow on the forum for a few weeks while everyone is either on vacation, busy with summer stuff, and I'll assume taking a bunch of images for sharing this fall.......we can only hope!

Being a somewhat recent member and becoming a dedicated one at that, I've had the opportunity to meander my way around the various threads and enjoy some of the really great photography, news, and insights that are shared here. I've learned a lot in the process.

As I got intrigued and then became hooked and sold on the leica digital M system I read a lot about "bokeh". As I read about it and examined the images I began to understand and recognize what it was. Could I describe it? I'm not sure. I think it was the wonderful bokeh that the Leica glass renders that drew me.

So my question is ( I know there is a definition for this in the dictionary, BUT) what does the term"bokeh" mean to you? Please share your thoughts, and put into words what it is you recognize in an image that makes you think of it in terms of "bokeh". Here are a couple of my image taken with the 50 Lux pre-asph that I feel render "bokeh". By the way, thanks Jack for talking me into this lens, you were so right! "It has a wonderful bokeh"!

doug

The standard definition is "the quality of the out-of-focus areas". To me it's something I pay attention to mostly when it's harsh, distracting my attention from the picture's subject. If I don't notice it, it's "good" bokeh.

Leica 77

The standard definition is "the quality of the out-of-focus areas". To me it's something I pay attention to mostly when it's harsh, distracting my attention from the picture's subject. If I don't notice it, it's "good" bokeh.
Hello doug,
Your definition of "Bokeh" is pretty nice and I also agree with Gary P that many Leica lenses produce phenomenal bokeh. I enjoy using several Leica M and R lenses myself. Some Nikon lenses also produce pleasing bokeh as well. I recently posted the following image on another thread taken by a Nikon AF 50mm f1.4 lens. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Gary P

Great example leica 77! Here I see it and notice it, but not in a bad way at all. My eye is drawn to the sharpest region of the image and the out of focus area enhances my eyes venture around the image rather than distracting from it as it creates a montage of pleasing and relevant colors and shapes.

I agree with your definition Doug thank you. I wonder if people sometimes use the term to mean something different or some added meaning in there mind when they see and think of it.

Leica 77

Great example leica 77! Here I see it and notice it, but not in a bad way at all. My eye is drawn to the sharpest region of the image and the out of focus area enhances my eyes venture around the image rather than distracting from it as it creates a montage of pleasing and relevant colors and shapes.

I agree with your definition Doug thank you. I wonder if people sometimes use the term to mean something different or some added meaning in there mind when they see and think of it.
Hello Gary P,
Many thanks for your positive feedback. Your comments are much appreciated. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Hello Gary P,
This image was recorded using one of my favorite Leica lenses, Summicron 90mm lens made in Canada. Thank you. Leica 77 :)

stevem8

Some Leica Bokeh...I'm addicted!

35 Lux

50 Lux PRE

50 Sonnar

90 cron

Noctilux

50 Lux ASPH

75 Summarit

50 Lux ASPH

Gary P

Eeeeh Geeeeez Steven you sCAT me!

Lovely examples of the bokeh I must say! I am a true fan I'm going to confess that as I've been reading and looking at and about peoples images and as they referred to the "bokeh" before I new the formal definition my interpretation was........well, .....wrong, but my interpretation it felt good. I examined these beautiful images with wonderful tonality, controlled out of focus areas, and sharpness/contrast beauty that I hadn't seen before from other mfg. lenses. I thought that it all encompassed the definition of the lenses beautiful bokeh.

Is it really only referring to the quality of the blur? Or is it more than that in other peoples minds like it was for me?

Gary p

helenhill

When i think of Bokeh, I think CREAMY & SOFT....
OM1 / zuiko 50 1.4.
RD1 / C Sonnar
M2 / 50 pre asph lux
Summarit 1.5

click on to make BIGGER

Gary P

Really beautiful TR, thank you! Interesting that many of our examples of bokeh are of flowers Bouquet anyone!

Gary

gero

to me it is part of the equation.

what is really interesting is that we didn't know it existed before we had optics (and still, we have always "seen" it)

Last edited:

PeterA

M7 75 lux - quality of OOF renditon is nmy definition - subject matter and true focal point must POP as well as before and after gradation out of focus must be gentle and pleasing - like a soft kiss.

Leica 77

Hello doug,
Your definition of "Bokeh" is pretty nice and I also agree with Gary P that many Leica lenses produce phenomenal bokeh. I enjoy using several Leica M and R lenses myself. Some Nikon lenses also produce pleasing bokeh as well. I recently posted the following image on another thread taken by a Nikon AF 50mm f1.4 lens. All the best, Leica 77 :)

P.S. I am reposting the following image as it lost its connection to my database for reasons unknown. Thank you. :)

Paratom

for me bokeh is quite important for some type of images, portraits for example.

It makes a big difference in the overall appearance of the image if you have a smooth or a distracting bokeh. Maybe it influences the appearance even more (I do think so) than the last bit of sharpness or detail.

Overall I have very good experience with many of the Leica M lenses.
The new Sigma 50/1.4 is great too, as are the Nikon 85, 105DC, 135DC mm lenses, and the 28/1.a from Nikon.

In MF its the 110 which I love.

Specially interesting for me are the fast wide angels, where you could combine a shallow DOF and wide angle view.

Leica 77

What does "Bokeh" mean to YOU? As I mentioned previously, I enjoy using Leica M and R lenses because of their intrinsic qualities to produce phenomenal bokeh. For comparative purposes, I post an image produced by a popular Nikon lens - AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Some people may find the bokeh pleasing, others may not. Appreciating the bokeh appears to fall within the realm of people's subjective opinions in many instances. Thank you. Leica 77 :)

V

Vivek

M7 75 lux - quality of OOF renditon is nmy definition - subject matter and true focal point must POP as well as before and after gradation out of focus must be gentle and pleasing - like a soft kiss.
:thumbs: Peter!

To me Bokeh, now, is one of the tools that help with the composition. I am also convinced that it is one of the most difficult tools to use for this purpose.