The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 23 thousand for the body only

etrigan63

Unless the output of this system is an order of magnitude better than anything already out there, I don't see this making any inroads in the MFDB market. I was recently quoted $19K for a complete starter Phase One P40+ system and that included the lens.

Scargos2

If I were a pro the price is good, it is a DSLR body. Not the big box like Phase one and the others. Hand holding would be soo easy compared to the other brands. I predict the S2 will be a big hit at any price

dseelig

If you were a pro. I am a pro and not many pros can afford a system this expensive. I would guess less then 3 percent can afford to dream about it. Maybe if we get a few thousand 30 dollar Time covers see Sunset bar thread.

Paratom

If I were a pro the price is good, it is a DSLR body. Not the big box like Phase one and the others. Hand holding would be soo easy compared to the other brands. I predict the S2 will be a big hit at any price
handholding is no problem with the other MF bodies
23k is too much IMO and is not what they promissed (a competitive prise)

etrigan63

I've hand-held MF systems from Phamiya and Hasselblad and they are much better balanced than my D700 especially with long lenses attached.

doug

I've hand-held MF systems from Phamiya and Hasselblad and they are much better balanced than my D700 especially with long lenses attached.
Does this say something good about the Phamiya and Hasselblad systems or something else about the D700? I know I wasn't happy with the balance of some of the longer Nikon lenses.

Chris C

If I were a pro the price is good....
If you were a Pro; you'd be aware that photography is now barely a 'trade' yet alone a Profession, and the vast majority of professional photographers [with very few exceptions] stay well clear of Leica. I don't know of a photographer doing OK yet alone doing well; I don't know of a professional photographer who wouldn't get out of photography immediately if they could figure out what else to do in this recession. Scrapping for the remaining work which is paying worse than ten years ago whilst demanding greater skill, knowledge, and post production is unlikely to put 'pros' in the market for the S2. Who is this camera for? [I think I know..................].

There again; I still plan to win the lottery, like many other aspirational S2 photographers.

............... Chris

Godfrey

The Leica S2 today is no more expensive in relative terms than the Hasselblad SWC was to me 39 years ago. I couldn't afford that then, I can't afford this now. But perhaps in time I will be able to.

The real question is: how good a camera is it? How are the lenses? Is it worth desiring for what it can do?

I did eventually get my Hassy SWC and it was indeed a fabulous camera. When I sold it ... because I no longer used it ... I felt good about my experience using it. It's one of the few cameras I'd buy again, if I were interested in shooting film anymore.

I never understand all this grousing about a price. Or this penchant for knocking a brand by camera equipment lovers.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, it is just that the phrase "too expensive for me" (which it is:banghead:) loses the last two words immediately.:rolleyes:

jonoslack

The Leica S2 today is no more expensive in relative terms than the Hasselblad SWC was to me 39 years ago. I couldn't afford that then, I can't afford this now. But perhaps in time I will be able to.

The real question is: how good a camera is it? How are the lenses? Is it worth desiring for what it can do?

I did eventually get my Hassy SWC and it was indeed a fabulous camera. When I sold it ... because I no longer used it ... I felt good about my experience using it. It's one of the few cameras I'd buy again, if I were interested in shooting film anymore.

I never understand all this grousing about a price. Or this penchant for knocking a brand by camera equipment lovers.
Absolutely Godfrey - I couldn't agree with you more.
Thank you for putting it so succinctly
:salute:

fotografz

Didn't your SWC come with a lens? ;) The S2 doesn't. :wtf: The S2 lens prices are flabbergasting and you HAVE to buy them.

No big deal to me ... they could have charged $1,000,000 for the kit as far as I'm concerned ... I can't afford it anyway ... we'll I could if I wanted to eat cat food during my retirement.

stevem8

Wow, only $23k? Ha ha...

With a lens, about $30k. Remember though, this is high end MF and while I certainly can not afford it, I won't knock it until I see it in action. It may just be worth the cash to those who can afford it. It sure as hell looks sexier than any MF setup I have seen. Proof will be in the images though.

Godfrey

Didn't your SWC come with a lens? ;) The S2 doesn't.The S2 lens prices are flabbergasting and you HAVE to buy them.
My SWC came with a lens, body and viewfinder. No film back, no meter. Add hand-held meter (good cheap one at $250) and film back ($550) so you can take photos. Also, scale focus only unless you bought the ground glass viewing kit, and a viewfinder (another $1000). And a tripod.

I can't afford the S2 either. But if it is a great camera, I'll imagine wanting one for someday when I can afford it.

T

tetsrfun

I did eventually get my Hassy SWC and it was indeed a fabulous camera. When I sold it ... because I no longer used it .
I put a digital back on my SWC and went out and took great "hand-held" snap-shots yesterday. I wonder how many S2s will be taking great pictures 38 years from now.

Steve

Godfrey

I did eventually get my Hassy SWC and it was indeed a fabulous camera. When I sold it ... because I no longer used it .
I put a digital back on my SWC and went out and took great "hand-held" snap-shots yesterday. I wonder how many S2s will be taking great pictures 38 years from now.
I'm curious: which back, which format? And how well does it image?

The magic of the SWC, to me, was the 90 degree across the diagonal FoV with near perfect rectilinear correction right to the corners and such amazing image quality. I never bothered considering a digital back because they were all much smaller format and too expensive ...

With an Olympus ZD 11-22 lens on a 7.5-12 Mpixel body, I get very similar FoV and imaging qualities to what I obtained with the SWC on film, and no hassling with film. That's why I stopped shooting with the SWC. (Of course I'd prefer square format ... and to get that, I'll need the 7-14mm lens so I can shoot at 9mm for that 90 degree diagonal. I can see an E-P1 with a Hasselblad SWC viewfinder and 7-14 lens in my future. :) ;-)

RichA

From DP Review
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073001leicassystemprice.asp
Glad I started buying Contax 645 David
People have to remember, these medium format sensors cost considerably more than the ones in the DSLRs. Kodak and Dalsa don't churn them out by the thousands. Couple that with Leica's traditional costs for cameras and lenses and you have a good idea of why the camera costs what it does. Honestly? $23k for a medium format DSLR sounds more reasonable than $8000 for an M8.