The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the Leica UV/IR filter for 18mm

If you are, perhaps you can tell me if the filter snugs up when threaded all the way.

Since the front element protrudes beyond the edge of the barrel this filter is designed to extend out, so the filter ring is thicker and places the glass away from the front element. The plastic lens hood then threads onto the filter.

On the threads of the lens barrel, filter and hood there are perpendicular (to the thread) stops to prevent the filter from being tightened too far (and possibly touch the element) and also to keep the lens hood square to the lens (so as not to be angled and vignette part of the image). The plastic lens hood, whether attached to the barrel thread or the filter thread, snugs up when it hits the stop.

However the threads of the metal barrel and metal filter don't snug up. The filter twists on and stops, but it could just as easily twist loose (and un-squaring the lens hodd in the process). I have tried two different filters with identical results ... no tension to keep it from loosening. All threads are in perfect shape.

The filter has a black soft 'gasket' on the side that screws onto the lens thread, and I'm wondering if whoever made the filter for Leica intended this 'gasket' to be thick enough to press against the lens barrel and offer some tension. If so, the problem is that it is too thin because it doesn't seem to be coming into contact with anything. My dealer will contact Leica in the morning to see if they have any suggestions.

My high-tech solution has been to apply a small strip of vinyl tape over the area of the stop to keep the filter from rotating. Snazzy.

Just wondering if anyone else might have encountered this issue.

BTW, the lens on the M8.2 is terrific.

BTW #2, what tape is suggested to mask out the 'M8' and dot on the front? I used black vinyl electrical tape on my M6 but this black paint finish seems more vulnerable to that kind of stickiness.

Thanks.

DavidE

Mine seems fine. I'm able to tighten and untighten the filter without any difficulty or looseness. I leave it on all the time.

Mine seems fine. I'm able to tighten and untighten the filter without any difficulty or looseness. I leave it on all the time.
So when you get to the point where the red line isn't visible as you come to the stop it tightens up and friction keeps it from being loose?

DavidE

So when you get to the point where the red line isn't visible as you come to the stop it tightens up and friction keeps it from being loose?
Yep, it tightens up, and the friction keeps it from being loose.

I hadn't noticed the red line before. It provides good visual feedback when you're tightening the filter.

R

Rogwp

Yep, it tightens up, and the friction keeps it from being loose.
I tighten mine until I hear a faint "metallic" click. If you tighten them quite quickly you will hear the click. Neither have moved on their own, and they are not jammed-on either. Very secure. Roger

I tighten mine until I hear a faint "metallic" click. If you tighten them quite quickly you will hear the click. Neither have moved on their own, and they are not jammed-on either. Very secure. Roger
Never heard a click from mounting the filter .... the filter threads on smoothly until it hits the stop, and then it just stops. The hood seems to 'click' but not the filters I've tried.

Thanks for the input.

DavidE

Never heard a click from mounting the filter .... the filter threads on smoothly until it hits the stop, and then it just stops. The hood seems to 'click' but not the filters I've tried.
I also get the click just as the red line disappears.

And the answer is .... the red line is plastic and provides the tension to hold the filter. My first lens evidently came with the red plastic pushed into the channel and so it never came in contact with the filter threads.

Just in case anyone else needs to figure this one out ....