The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some shots with the 21 and 24 Lux...

Stuart Richardson

Great review Steve. It is a total dream lens -- the only current Leica lens that I don't have that I would absolutely love to -- the 50/.95 has no interest for me, but this 24/1.4 would be fantastic. Did you get a chance to shoot it on film? I would be curious to hear how it does on full frame, since that is generally what I prefer to shoot...

fotografz

Thanks Steve, excellent review.

I've been working with the 24/1.4 for some months now and agree that it is a stunning performer. Once you put it on the M you never want to take it off. I have to force myself to use the 28/2 ASPH when that would be a more appropriate focal length.

Leica continues to amaze.

Now if that darned lotto chick would just pick my numbers, a new M9 (hopefully with higher ISO ability) and 0.95 Nocti would make the M stand for ... "Master Of The Night".

Paratom

Thanks Steve, excellent review.

I've been working with the 24/1.4 for some months now and agree that it is a stunning performer. Once you put it on the M you never want to take it off. I have to force myself to use the 28/2 ASPH when that would be a more appropriate focal length.

Leica continues to amaze.

Now if that darned lotto chick would just pick my numbers, a new M9 (hopefully with higher ISO ability) and 0.95 Nocti would make the M stand for ... "Master Of The Night".
Are you happy with your choice between 21 and 24lux?
And how usefull would either be on full frame? ( I mean since on M8 the 24 is a 32 FOV so on full frame your 28 or 35 would replace the 24lux and the 24 would become real wide angle again)
On the M8 I would go for the 24lux if I had to choose between it and the 21.
But on full frame I am still so undecided which one I would prefer and how much the speed is needed.

Stuart Richardson

On full frame I think 21 is quite wide...especially for 1.4. I can see it being useful in certain journalistic situations, but I think the 24mm f/1.4 is more useful as a general purpose wide angle. It is quite wide, but does not have to look like a super wide all the time, and the speed allows it to be used for isolating the subject a bit. I definitely think it is still in the daily use category. For me anyway, 21 is a bit wider than I would use daily. When I owned both the 21mm and the 25mm biogons for the M, I find out pretty quickly that I always reached for the 25mm. I sold the 21 and did not look back. I still use the 25mm all the time.

fotografz

On full frame I think 21 is quite wide...especially for 1.4. I can see it being useful in certain journalistic situations, but I think the 24mm f/1.4 is more useful as a general purpose wide angle. It is quite wide, but does not have to look like a super wide all the time, and the speed allows it to be used for isolating the subject a bit. I definitely think it is still in the daily use category. For me anyway, 21 is a bit wider than I would use daily. When I owned both the 21mm and the 25mm biogons for the M, I find out pretty quickly that I always reached for the 25mm. I sold the 21 and did not look back. I still use the 25mm all the time.
My experiences exactly Stuart. I'm sure the 21 is great, but when I owned one before, I rarely used it compared to the other lenses.

On a M8 you don't need a finder with the 24, and for my work using a finder never worked out all that well (to slow for wedding stuff in low light) I do have a 24 finder from years ago, and I'll need it when using the 24 on a full frame M9 (fingers and toes crossed), so I will keep one M8 to use the 24 in certain shooting conditions.

-Marc

fotografz

Are you happy with your choice between 21 and 24lux?
And how useful would either be on full frame? ( I mean since on M8 the 24 is a 32 FOV so on full frame your 28 or 35 would replace the 24lux and the 24 would become real wide angle again)
On the M8 I would go for the 24lux if I had to choose between it and the 21.
But on full frame I am still so undecided which one I would prefer and how much the speed is needed.
See my post in response to Stuart immediately below.

21 is nice no doubt, but less useful for me at that price point. I'd add a 18/3.8 ASPH for a really wide lens and really separate it from the 24 ... the 18 may be a bit slow, but when I'm that wide I'm usually not shooting people in low light ... more like travel stuff and more stationary subjects in a bit better light. On a M8 the 18 would is the equivalent of a 24mm so I could use my 24 finder on the M8.

-Marc

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Kurt,
I have the 21 on the M8.2 and I have color shifts too. Red mostly, in the upper corners in the sky. I'd like to hear if you figure this out. Leica said I'd have to send in both camera and lens for them to test so I haven't done that yet, but I guess it's not just me.
Thanks!
Sounds like the firmware needs a tweak. Having said that, the experiences with the CV 15 have taught us that the IR corrections are just an average, as red or cyan drift are dependent on the amount of IR light in the photograph. I do not think an occasional shift in the corners can be avoided.

Riccis

Here are some images for those of you wanting to see 21 lux on FF (not from the M9, though :D)... One day I think is too wide and another day I'm in love with it... Can't make up my mid...

Lloyd

Here are some images for those of you wanting to see 21 lux on FF (not from the M9, though :D)... One day I think is too wide and another day I'm in love with it... Can't make up my mid...
From what I see here, I'm in love with it!:bugeyes:

stevem8

Looks gorgeous on FF. These film shots are beautiful!

Paratom

great images Steve. And thank you for the comments in favour of the 24mm Lux.
I believe I will wait fir the M9 and shoot for a while with my slower 21 and 24mm lenses and then see if I will exchange one of them for a lux.
I still think the 2 lenses are more usefull on slight crop vs. on full frame, where the are superwides and f1.4 might not be needed. But then again it could be interesting to have shallow DOF combined with wide angle FOV.
I hope to see more samples here-thanks for posting. Tom

jeffwros

... One day I think is too wide and another day I'm in love with it... Can't make up my mid...
You've gotta keep it!

This is my last season with the Canon 1Ds III + Zeiss 17-35 and 21mm FF is very useful for wedding work IMHO (not to mention a host of other types of photography).

Admittedly, I will probably miss the 17mm focal length when the time comes but I think 21mm will more than suffice once I'm "all Leica".

:thumbup:

Riccis

You've gotta keep it!

This is my last season with the Canon 1Ds III + Zeiss 17-35 and 21mm FF is very useful for wedding work IMHO (not to mention a host of other types of photography).

Admittedly, I will probably miss the 17mm focal length when the time comes but I think 21mm will more than suffice once I'm "all Leica".

Congrats on finally going all Leica!!!

fotografz

You've gotta keep it!

My hero!

Do share your experiences. I would dearly like to go all M for my wedding work eventually. I've been increasing it's use progressively, but still rely on DSLRs for most of the "must haves".

Marc