The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

09/09/09

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ok is this the date of the announcement? or is now just September. I have seen 09/09/09 as the news release and 9/19/09 as the first showing to dealers. Is this speculation or has Leica actually said anything.

Looking at my schedule ...I will be in NYC on 09/09/09 within blocks of all the major NYC dealers and the Leica Gallery.. Anything scheduled?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger, you're sounding kind of excited ... ;)
Kurt

I realize its probably just another dashing of my expectations. But a really new M model doesn t come along every year(although with digital they are coming faster). And I fully expect that it will be a long wait to finally get one even if they are released.

Assume you are waiting on the news before springing for that wide lux? If its truly FF they will get a lot of new demand for the 28/2 and the 35/1.4. New models sell so I hope they will have some new lenses as well.

Just fishing to see if anything has been really announced about the date. Nikon normally send something to the dealers indicating that an announcement will be coming (no facts just a save the date). But I haven t been able to find anything beyond speculation on the Leica date.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Roger,

There has been no official confirmation or announcement from Leica as far as I can tell but there are a lot of people stating that they have either preordered an M9 for delivery late September or have had verbal confirmation of something coming in that time frame. The 09/09/09 appears to linked to a Leica press release in LA I believe. All the rumours seem to say full frame, 18MP, no IR filters.

We will see ...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Roger,

Like you, I'm sifting through all of the rumors and speculation. If I was in NYC as you will be on 9/9, I too would be seeing if any of those major dealers will be holding an event.

You are absolutely right on my holding back on the 21lux. I really love the lens on the M8. It's quite the spectacular lens achievement. No focus shift and sharp at 1.4 ... it's a dream ... except, if the M9 is around the corner I worry that it may be too wide. So, in the end, I'm thinking that it might be best to wait a few weeks to see what is announced (and is available).

A full frame M9 would have me think hard about an optimal lens kit. (And, if there is a new 35lux, as others have hinted, that might be a top priority.)

Kurt

gero

You are absolutely right on my holding back on the 21lux.

A full frame M9 would have me think hard about an optimal lens kit. (And, if there is a new 35lux, as others have hinted, that might be a top priority.)

Kurt
Kurt, I think the same way; on the other hand, I am exited to work the wa's on a ff digita (I don't have any), I am even trying these lenses on film now.

Stuart Richardson

Man, if it is true, I am so excited to be back to normal! Film-like frame lines, film-like lens selection, a standard angle of view and depth of field, no lens filters. It can be a bit aggravating to shoot both film and cropped digital with the same system -- your eye gets used to one or the other. Having them the same will be a lot nicer.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Gero, I'm not ruling out the 21 though, it's really good. I just need to keep myself from justifying that I 'really' need it.

I'll probably start by building my line-up around the 35lux ...

fotografz

Never had a problem moving between crop/no crop. :)

I'm planning on keeping one of my M8s when the M9 gets here ... maybe both M8s if the used prices crash.

Current Lens spread is 24/1.4, 28/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.4 ASPHs ... plus old time rock 'n roll 90/2.8 and 90/2 for portraits ... especially the ladies ;)

Gives me choices for each body.

Can't wait. :thumbup:

Stuart Richardson

Well, it is not so much a problem as an annoyance. For example, I tend to like to shoot with a 35mm and 75mm angle of view. To do that now would mean that I have to bring an M8, film M, a 28mm with IR filter, 35mm without, 50mm with IR filter and 75mm without. If I want to change one lens from film to digital or vice versa, I need to take on and off filters. With a full frame lens, I would be back to 2 bodies and two lenses, no filters to fuss with. And it's easier to "know" how your lenses shoot -- they have the same behavior on both cameras. Anyway, cropped frame digital is just something I would prefer not to have to deal with.

gero

I would love to have just ff like Stewart is saying but don't know how real it would be if you have different rf magnifications in film cam's and M9 (I have an M5 that I plan to use) + there are all this external viewfinders that I am starting to like (I used the 15 voight. with the 15 ext viewfinder in the M5 and it was sweet) .

fotografz

Well, it is not so much a problem as an annoyance. For example, I tend to like to shoot with a 35mm and 75mm angle of view. To do that now would mean that I have to bring an M8, film M, a 28mm with IR filter, 35mm without, 50mm with IR filter and 75mm without. If I want to change one lens from film to digital or vice versa, I need to take on and off filters. With a full frame lens, I would be back to 2 bodies and two lenses, no filters to fuss with. And it's easier to "know" how your lenses shoot -- they have the same behavior on both cameras. Anyway, cropped frame digital is just something I would prefer not to have to deal with.
Well I sure the heck am not buying two M9s for the convenience. :eek:

I tend to use the 24 and 35 on the M8 most frequently. I'll probably use the 28, 50 and 90 on a full frame M9 ... which is what I did when I used a film M and M8. I also have different mag diopters on each camera, based on the lenses: 1.15X and 1.25X which significantly increased my hit ratio when shooting wide open in low light. I use one silver and one black M8 now so I can quickly tell which is which at a dark wedding reception.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice set or go 75 , 135 instead and bag the 50 and 90. Depending on how many lenses you want in your bag. I personally like a 4 or 5 lens kit

So a 24, 35, 75 and 135 on a 4 lens kit would be a option as well

The 135 3.4 apo is a sweetie. I used it on the M8 and loved it but it would be a better choice on a FF body