The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why are people so sure of an m9?

drazin

i see people talking about it as if it was announced or something. last i checked, leica announced NOTHING about an m9 in their recent press releases.

what did i miss?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that the kool-aid punch-bowel has been passed around.
Me, I took the red pill
-bob

John Black

Because if we talk about it enough, collectively our mental power will make it so :) All I know is, if it doesn't happen, this board needs to start a 1-800 line with trained therapists to talk us down from the roof :)

R

Ranger 9

i see people talking about it as if it was announced or something. last i checked, leica announced NOTHING about an m9 in their recent press releases.
From what I read on the other thread, the initial inspiration seems to have come from dealers who are willing to accept deposits on something about which they won't give any details, but which may be coming in September or October.

The rest of the blanks seem to have been filled in via a combination of logical extension of current product lines (e.g. S2), analysis of what features would be the most marketable, plain old wishful thinking, and some tantalizing hints from people who enjoy giving the impression of knowing something but won't say specifically what, or how they know. In other words, the classic mix that makes the photo-rumor game fun!

All I can think is that come September, if it turns out that what the dealers who have been taking deposits have to reveal is nothing beyond an M8.2 in a different finish, or one with a modest pixel-count upgrade, I suspect that they're going to be processing a lot of cancellations!

[Or hey, I just thought of this -- what if the "M9" consists solely of an M8 with HD video added? Wouldn't that just thrill the folks in Leica land?)

doug

what did i miss?
If I told you I'd have to shoot you :D

R

Ranger 9

Don't bother waiting for the M9; it's not all that great. The next one that'll really be worth having will be the M10.1. The whole M11 series will be basically just a rehash of that, but the M12 will be really hot, especially after the 12.3 firmware update.

Of course I can't give you any details or tell you how I know this...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From what I read on the other thread, the initial inspiration seems to have come from dealers who are willing to accept deposits on something about which they won't give any details, but which may be coming in September or October.

:wtf::argue::banghead::talk028::rolleyes: Must be the secret handshake society

iiiNelson

I guess it doesn't help that they specifically made a "can a Full Frame sensor fit in a M8" comment in the LUF mass email sent today...

Stuart Richardson

It's because if you want to launch a product and have quantities available soon after the announcement, then you need to inform your distributors about your plans. These distributors in turn inform the dealers, "we have X coming out for X price, how many do you want?". The dealers are supposed to keep quiet, but some might tell their friends or loyal customers, hoping that if they give them a tidbit of information, they will stick with that dealer or even preorder. This seems to be what has happened. Of course, it could all be a misunderstanding, and it could be the new "M9 flash unit" for the S2. 5500 euros sounds about right for that...

R

Ranger 9

If you want to launch a product and have quantities available soon after the announcement, you also have to complete your engineering, field testing, component orders, and initial manufacturing run-up months before the planned release date. You have to write and print instruction manuals and update software code strings. You have to train distributors and service technicians. You have to design catalogs, brochures, ads, and web pages. And you have to provide ad layouts and press kits to print publications that have deadlines months in advance of the cover date. All these can produce leaks... and usually do, nondisclosure agreements and embargoes notwithstanding.

So far, there's no evidence of any of this happening with the "M9", except for one solitary code string (which well could have been speculative) in a non-Leica-affiliated software product.

So if Leica really is going to ship a major new product in late September or early October, they not only have been doing a better job of secret-keeping than Albus Dumbledore, but they must be planning on introducing it without any advertising or promotion, and they must have whittled it out of native hardwood to avoid having to order any third-party components.

...All of which I could believe, if it weren't so opposite of the way they handled the launch of the S2, which was announced, discussed and touted long, long before it was actually available.

monza

There is indeed an announcement on 9/9, our rep was in today and he will be in Dallas for the event.

What will be announced could be an M9, or it could be something else.

But such an announcement doesn't necessarily mean whatever it is will be 'shipping in late Sept. early Oct.'

P

pascal_meheut

Well, I cannot talk for others but I first read from a guy on a forum who said it would be announced soon but available fall 2010. I thought, why not, but just another rumor.
Then another came a few weeks later and said "announced september 2009, available immediately".
I did not believe it.

But then, Chasseur d'Images, the leading photographic journal in France announced the same. And they are usually quite good with such infos.
As I know the guys working there, I asked for confirmation and they told me "99% sure".

Then, as some of you know, a French reseller put on his website that he is accepting pre-order (no deposit) for a 18 Mpix, 5500€ FF M9 available in september.

I also know this guy quite well. He found me a 280/4 like new but much cheaper when I asked for one.
He got me one of the first DMR in France even when I entered the waiting list quite late.
And he got me an M8 the first day it was available worldwide.
He is nice, competent, trustable with a small shop, not to kind looking for buzz or running a scam.

So of course, an error is still possible and I'll believe in the M9 when I see it but so far, some of the people I trust most to have reliable informations confirm the rumor.