The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun M9 poll (with a poll attached this time)

M9 guessing game

• FF

Votes: 57 86.4%
  • 1.3x Crop

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Live View

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • EVF

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • 16+ MP

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • AF

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • IR filters not required

Votes: 48 72.7%
  • ISO range from 100-25,600

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Larger body size

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • What M9?

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stephengilbert

What fun?

NB: The beating a dead horse refers to something that's gone on too long. I don't think the horse beaters get to use it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Electronic frame lines Okay that is one I have more later. Lets change AF to Electronic frame lines. Sound okay

clay stewart

I'm not an engineer, but I would think live view would be simple to implement in a digital camera, since you already have the play back option. I think it would be extremely useful for wide lenses( no need for external finders) or macros, on a rangefinder. Also, since it's manual focus in the first place, there would be no bitching about slow AF in LV ( EP1). I can't think of why they left it out of the M8's, unless it's some sort of ascetic reason. Sorry, if I ranted about this before. Anyway I voted for that and full frame and no IR filters.

I could live without the LV, if it was full frame and you could use a 28mm as a 28mm without an external finder.

If this comes about, I may be back to Leica, after more than a 15 year hiatus.

Stuart Richardson

Clay -- I think the limitation on Live View is for a few reasons -- 1. Power consumption. Constant use of the sensor eats of much more energy than using it for only 1/60th etc. 2. Heat -- see no.1. Lots of heat can be generated, which needs to be dealt with effectively. 3.Sensor and processing bandwidth -- when you are using live view you are taking the equivalent of 15fps (for the D3 anyway), which can require a lot of horsepower to display. 4. CCD's use a lot more power and are not as efficient as CMOS sensors, which is why you don't often see live view in CCD cameras (outside MF digital, where they only tend to do it tethered). 5. Sensor Size -- the larger the sensor, the more power and more bandwidth required. This is why most of the cameras with really good live view are the ones that have smaller sensors -- point and shoot cameras and 4/3rds cameras.

But I agree, it would be nice to have for the super wides and for getting 100% accurate focus in tripod work.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Me too Mark. Did not know what to take out. Well AF would be the one but people already voted and can't go back