The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High Humidity & The M8.2

I'll be traveling for several weeks and there will no doubt be some rain.

While I'm not planning on getting water directly on the camera (it would be over my shoulder under a coat when not used) will the increased humidity affect it?

Thanks,

Mark

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I took my M8 to Fiji earlier this year. It performed beautifully.

However, on one particularly hot and humid day I was carrying the camera around my neck and handling it a lot as I brought it up to shoot. In the process, I noticed that my fingers were smudging the white paint of the "M8" marker/label on the front of the camera.

As soon as I discovered it, I gently pushed the paint back into the lines and tried to keep my hands away from it. It did dry out again and now doesn't look too bad. I suppose if you were to look at it through a loupe you'd see it has been disturbed. My advice is just to be aware of that and avoid mashing your hands around that area.

Suntan lotion on your hands?

However, on one particularly hot and humid day I was carrying the camera around my neck and handling it a lot as I brought it up to shoot. In the process, I noticed that my fingers were smudging the white paint of the "M8" marker/label on the front of the camera.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I suppose that's possible. However, since I don't like to leave greasy fingerprints on my gear, I wash my hands after putting on sunscreen. Maybe i didn't that day. It's never happened since then though, and I've certainly shot with it during sunny days. Never as hot and humid as Fiji however.

Tony C.

I taped over the M8 with electrical tape while I owned mine, and when I took it off before selling it, the white paint had smudged and degraded.

It does seem to me that a more robust lacquer could be used...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
All Leica cameras seem to do that. My DMR tends to lose its white lettering by hand-sweat in the tropics

All Leica cameras seem to do that. My DMR tends to lose its white lettering by hand-sweat in the tropics
Wow, after reading these accounts I'm glad I wasn't tempted to buy an all-white M8.2.

I guess really rich people and celebrities don't sweat.

woodyspedden

No, celebrities don't "sweat it" when the paint comes off. They just go to the store and buy another one. How "sweat it is"!!

Woody

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Aside from sweat, be careful with insect repellant containing DEET.

I have a "personalized" Nikon remote with my finger prints permanently recorded in the plastic as a result of DEET based repellant causing the plastic to soften. That stuff is strong and doubtless would do the same to the plastic parts of the M8.

So, as with sun block, insect repellant and, as any sports male would attest white horse oil/liniment/embrocation :cry: , make sure you wash your hands before touching anything delicate. :ROTFL:

Last edited:
Has anyone had experience using black vinyl electrical tape on the black Leica paint? I figured that if it passed approval I would use a piece of paper over the white paint area to block the adhesive from mucking it up.

Opinions?

dhsimmonds

Yep, I can testify to the effects of DEET after losing the white paint markings on my DMR in Australia! I was luckier than my companion traveller though as he lost most of the black paint on his Canon DSLR.