The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica m9 photo at Leica rumors

V

Vivek

The only thing interesting about this (if the rumor indications of the specs are correct) would be the price. ;)

(It might boost the sales of DP-2.)

Stuart Richardson

I actually think that this might be real. It just strikes me as genuine. There are certain things that make me think so. If you look at the X1, doing that in photoshop would be extremely time consuming -- look at the reflections of the shutter speed wheel on the camera body -- these are real reflections, or at least ones that would require a lot of time to get right. Same goes for the reflections in the lenses. Also, the grip is very consistent with Leica's screw in grips -- if you look right under the lens, you can see a bit of a wheel -- this is likely the device for attaching the grip. It is surely completely removable. This camera is essentially a modern Leica Minilux/CM -- Leica has a penchant for making cameras like this, so it does not strike me as that surprising.

As for the M9 -- well, it looks just like the M8.2 with a weird edge and no little LCD on the top plate, which is also consistent with the video Leica released. The way they light these product shots, sometimes they look a bit unreal, but often they are real products. I remember the same thing from when the DMR was released.

douglasf13

They look real to me, too, Stuart. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'd love that little X1, depending on the price....

N

nei1

The part that looks a little odd to me on the X1 is the size and position of the strap lugs.It wouldnt hang straight from those unless that little lens has some heavy glass.Or the camera body is very light.

V

Vivek

This camera is essentially a modern Leica Minilux/CM -- Leica has a penchant for making cameras like this, so it does not strike me as that surprising.
I think you are correct, Stuart. The CM (name) eluded me, earlier.

Lars

That X1 looks like an early prototype, not the finely polished industrial design that is Leica's trademark.

As a market strategy it makes sense though - start out with a rebadged Panasonic m43 in a Leica shell, make a few great primes at a price a bit below M lenses, then if the product does well make a premium quality "mini-M" in-house.

steflaurent974

I don't think these are fake. :p At least for the M9, it looks quite real. For the colors, two color are proposed : black paint and grey , should be quite near the R9 anthracite. :D
See you Wednesday !!

:toocool:

nostatic

That X1 looks like an early prototype, not the finely polished industrial design that is Leica's trademark.

As a market strategy it makes sense though - start out with a rebadged Panasonic m43 in a Leica shell, make a few great primes at a price a bit below M lenses, then if the product does well make a premium quality "mini-M" in-house.
My original guess was a rebadged GF1, but the prototype "spec" says fixed lens. I don't see the viability of rebadging then bringing in-house unless they are WAY marking up the rebadge. People might not swallow the likely 2x price increase for the "made in germany" tag but stranger things have happened. I do agree with them making high-end u4/3 lenses. I think that market is taking off.

waynelake

I do not know... after all rumor is rumor, just hearsay. I mean how bad can it get? Or where does it all end... The R10... Below is from leicarumor too...

"CanonRumors got a tip that the Leica M9 may be using a version of the 5D Mark II sensor. The rumor is that Canon and Leica are in negotiations for a full frame sensor that will be used in the upcoming Leica M9." :eek:

I think above from July 09

I think a high Mpixel M9 would be great. Maybe the be all to end all (except telephoto stuff), is my vote... :)

Wayne

Tim

I can believe the X1 is fixed lens easily, so many people bought Leica Miniluxes and CMs so Leica has/had quite a following in that regard. I had a CM for a while but I found the Contax T3 to be superior except for perhaps lens IQ. If Leica made the Sigma DP2 people would be all over it and commenting on the Leica glow/ Leica sensor, at the same time forgiving its issues because its a Leica. I'd say they will sell a lot of X1s.