Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M9 Brochure and Specs

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M9 Brochure and Specs

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I don't think that's it because I've been using the 135 APO-Telyt with the M8 without problem. I guess it depends on your eyesight.
    There is a thread on RFF about rangefinder accuracy.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=55500&page=1

According to the calculations, the 135/3.4 is outside the limits of the M8 rangefinder.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I'm thinking between $6500 and $7000. Taking the €500 M8/M9 differential and adding it to the US price.
    I'm guessing they'll want to be slightly above the top Canon and Nikon DSLRs to maintain their premium positioning. A Nikon D3x lists for $7,995 and sells for about $7,500 at B&H, so I'm thinking they'll want to list for at least $8,495 and maybe give dealers some wiggle room to sell for a bit less.

If they think they're hitting price resistance, I'll bet they'd prefer an incentive such as a rebate on lenses, rather than cutting the price on the camera body. But I doubt if they'll need to resort to that. Leica's core market is affluent enthusiasts, whom the recession hasn't affected much.

leica007

$9999 is a lost case. very few people will sink 10k for such a camera in today's world market. those who can afford, other than the deep-pocket amatuers/enthusiasts, will go to other systems or else S2. neither will $8500 be attractive.

$8000 itself will casue a lot of heartburns. leica needs to provide something sweet and non-acidic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    I'm guessing they'll want to be slightly above the top Canon and Nikon DSLRs to maintain their premium positioning. A Nikon D3x lists for $7,995 and sells for about $7,500 at B&H, so I'm thinking they'll want to list for at least $8,495 and maybe give dealers some wiggle room to sell for a bit less.

If they think they're hitting price resistance, I'll bet they'd prefer an incentive such as a rebate on lenses, rather than cutting the price on the camera body. But I doubt if they'll need to resort to that. Leica's core market is affluent enthusiasts, whom the recession hasn't affected much.
    I actually don't think that is where they are headed. Isn't their objective to get as many M8 owners as possible to upgrade and to convert more users. While there are certainly difference with the M9 to the M8 there is a probably a lot they've learned over the last few years that will help them keep the production costs a bit lower. I think they want to sell a lot of them. Canon and Nikon want to sell their high res cameras but expand their market with the 5DII and Nikon will have a D700x. Pricing for the higher end of that (if they don't have to) IMHO would be a mistake.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by leica007 View Post
    $9999 is a lost case. very few people will sink 10k for such a camera in today's world market.
    They've already priced the new Noctilux at $10K, so they must think that's not a barrier for some people.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but it's not like everyone must buy a Noct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well @ 18 megapixels the camera now ticks the resolution box.The size of the camera and lenses is its biggest advantage. 10 years ago a Canon 1ds was no big deal for me to walk around holding over 8 hrs of street shooting - these days? forget about it..my D3 just sits on a shelf gathering dust as far as street shooting goes...MFD? where is my tripod?

I dont know how to price the value equation in my mind for a go anywhere camera and perfect travel kit - as long as the file quality is as good as the M8 - I will buy.Strange that they had a falling out with Phase One..still i guess the DNG path - combined with Adobe's knew tools in latest ACR - will see a lot of development occur to make up for any lightroom shortfalls.
    Should be an interesting wek ahead-

leica007

I actually don't think that is where they are headed. Isn't their objective to get as many M8 owners as possible to upgrade and to convert more users. While there are certainly difference with the M9 to the M8 there is a probably a lot they've learned over the last few years that will help them keep the production costs a bit lower. I think they want to sell a lot of them. Canon and Nikon want to sell their high res cameras but expand their market with the 5DII and Nikon will have a D700x. Pricing for the higher end of that (if they don't have to) IMHO would be a mistake.
    Well said. M9 did not involve much re-engineering - a lot may be on the sensor development (which again, as Leica has mentioned earlier, may have been derived from S2 - we will watch this space). otherwise, it's M8.3 !! dropping Saphire glass is a good indication of keeping things simple and tight. Therefore, does not warrant a steep price rise.

Leica is getting smarter - targeting various markets : to reiterate my earlier position:

S2 = MF - challenging PhaseOne and HAssy
    X1 = m43
    D-lux = P&S

Leica R is gone , then what will challenge the DSLR market , if it's not M9 ?

In that case, M9 must be priced vis-a-vis the current DSlrs , even if the target is the topline. Therefore, going beyond $7500 is a suicide; more so because Nikon and Canon are busy playing at middle level with 5DmkII and D700(x) - 3500-4000 is the hot price zone - and earn through selling lens.

Leica most probably will attract people to M9 [platform] with a good price and make them purchase new lens - all those wide 'luxes - may be we will see some more discounts there.

leica007

They've already priced the new Noctilux at $10K, so they must think that's not a barrier for some people.
    Nocti is a special lens - not for everyone. ask your dealer and see how many copies got sold. it's not a good comparative.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leica007 View Post
    Leica most probably will attract people to M9 [platform] with a good price and make them purchase new lens - all those wide 'luxes - may be we will see some more discounts there.
    Actually this is the one odd ball part of the M9. The two new luxes won't have framelines and you will need an external finder. Wide open it could be a challenge to nail both focus and framing.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear all the high price speculation here but the expected european price is 5500 euro. There's no way Leica are going to price the camera in the US far from that. I've not heard any mention of euro prices way off the 5500 number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    There is a thread on RFF about rangefinder accuracy.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=55500&page=1

According to the calculations, the 135/3.4 is outside the limits of the M8 rangefinder.
    Well, I took a look at the chart and I hear what you are saying but the inability to focus the 135/3.4 in theory vs the practice of real shots is something that doesn't match up with this information. Also note that the specs refer to the viewfinder having 35/135 framelines.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 5th September 2009 at 20:14.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Actually this is the one odd ball part of the M9. The two new luxes won't have framelines and you will need an external finder. Wide open it could be a challenge to nail both focus and framing.
    The RF baselength is plenty good enough for nailing wide angle focus, even wide open. The 24mm would need to be f/0.17 before things get iffy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I took a look at the chart and I hear what you are saying but the inability to focus the 135/3.4 in theory vs the practice of real shots is something that doesn't match up with this information.
    Depends on what kind of shots. Are you shooting wide open at close focus distance?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The RF baselength is plenty good enough for nailing wide angle focus, even wide open. The 24mm would need to be f/0.17 before things get iffy.
    That wasn't my point. If you are trying to focus wide open through the rangefinder but then have to move the camera for framing your focus can be off wide open. That's why I said getting focus AND framing will be tougher. I guess you need to frame first through an external finder then move down and focus.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess that's something that has been part of full frame Ms for 55 years.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I guess that's something that has been part of full frame Ms for 55 years.
    But there have only been wide Lux's (21 and 24) for about 6 months.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Same technique, tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, I noticed in the brochure that lens focal length is now manually selectable! No more coding of CV/ZM glass!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    BTW, I noticed in the brochure that lens focal length is now manually selectable! No more coding of CV/ZM glass!
    I thought that notation just indicated that focal lengths can be selected in the finder via the frameline preview lever.

There's a paragraph headed "Lens with Six-Bit Coding" which notes that "current M lenses are supplied with a six-bit code on the mount that is scanned optically by the M9" and that "Leica users can contact Customer Service to arrange for retrofitting the six-bit coding to the mounts of most existing M lenses." This all sounds the same as the M8.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a matter of RF effective base length and VF magnification. Based on usual CoC values, f/4 should be OK normally. See: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1021749-post1.html
    Btw, I notice in the brochure PDF that the 135 APO-Telyt is covered with reference to the M9 also. However, there's a note: "The use of this lens on the M9 is recommended only when certain criteria are met, for example, it must be stopped down by at least two stops."
    Any ideas why this lens would require this special restriction? I assume vignetting wide open perhaps? thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So really what they are saying is that it's recommended to stop down two stops or more to have any chance of focussing accurately using the viewfinder ... ok, I can understand that but why phrase it the way they did?

No big deal - I'll wait and see for myself

Post Thanks / Like

Because Leica chose a CoC value of 0,0250mm instead of the usual one (0,030mm) i guess. On such a basis, f/5.6 is necessary to focus 135mm lenses on the M9.
    So really what they are saying is that it's recommended to stop down two stops or more to have any chance of focussing accurately using the viewfinder ... ok, I can understand that but why phrase it the way they did?
    No big deal - I'll wait and see for myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought that notation just indicated that focal lengths can be selected in the finder via the frameline preview lever.

There's a paragraph headed "Lens with Six-Bit Coding" which notes that "current M lenses are supplied with a six-bit code on the mount that is scanned optically by the M9" and that "Leica users can contact Customer Service to arrange for retrofitting the six-bit coding to the mounts of most existing M lenses." This all sounds the same as the M8.
    You're right. I must've been breathing too fast.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS

Post Thanks / Like

Luddites rejoice... the M nein is comming...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

no IR filters required? even for wides?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    no IR filters required? even for wides?
    According to the M9 brochure "A newly developed sensor filter ensures the suppression of undesirable infrared light. The conscious decision to do without a moiré filter, a cause of image deterioration through loss of resolution, ensures maximum resolution of fine detail. The optimized signal-noise ratio of the CCD image sensor reduces the need for digital post-processing and ensures that M9 images possess an un rivaled and natural visual impact."

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by LCT View Post
    According to the M9 brochure "A newly developed sensor filter ensures the suppression of undesirable infrared light."
    Although -- applying my "chocolatey chip cookies" principle once again -- that's not exactly the same thing as saying "infrared cutoff filters no longer are required, regardless of lens focal length."

A reasonable guess would be that some people will find the new sensor filter adequate on its own, while others still will want to use the lens filter at least in some circumstances -- i.e., "Smoke 'em if you've got 'em."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although -- applying my "chocolatey chip cookies" principle once again -- that's not exactly the same thing as saying "infrared cutoff filters no longer are required, regardless of lens focal length."

A reasonable guess would be that some people will find the new sensor filter adequate on its own, while others still will want to use the lens filter at least in some circumstances -- i.e., "Smoke 'em if you've got 'em."
    Depends on what corrections the camera is making. The M8 corrects for the cyan drift when using a filter (thats why coding became mandatory). If the filter is there and not needed the M9 won't correct and you will have a problem.

Ranger 9

Depends on what corrections the camera is making. The M8 corrects for the cyan drift when using a filter (thats why coding became mandatory). If the filter is there and not needed the M9 won't correct and you will have a problem.
    I was thinking more of the original "purple haze" problem (color shifts caused by IR contamination.) Since the extent of that problem depended on the type of object photographed (e.g. synthetic fabrics) and the amount of IR illumination present, it can't be patched by a simple focal-length-based software correction.

As your post suggests, Leica's solution of this problem in the M9 will have to be 100% successful; if it isn't, it will make matters worse instead of better. If filters will still be needed to eliminate "purple haze" in some critical situations but not others, users will really have a can o' worms!

Post Thanks / Like

According to the M9 brochure "A newly developed sensor filter ensures the suppression of undesirable infrared light. The conscious decision to do without a moiré filter, a cause of image deterioration through loss of resolution, ensures maximum resolution of fine detail. The optimized signal-noise ratio of the CCD image sensor reduces the need for digital post-processing and ensures that M9 images possess an un rivaled and natural visual impact."
    For me, that wording does nothing but obfuscate the issue of whether UV/IR filters will be necessary. The possible interpretation that Terry raises is scary!
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    For me, that wording does nothing but obfuscate the issue of whether UV/IR filters will be necessary. The possible interpretation that Terry raises is scary!
    I was saying if they aren't needed and you do use one you could have a corner problem on the wide angle lenses. I wasn't trying to be scary, all I was saying was using something that isn't needed can create other problems. When the M8 IR problem came to light, filters fixed the IR problem but introduced the cyan problem which Leica fixed in firmware or Cornerfix worked in software if the lens wasn't coded. All I was responding to was the post saying you could use the filter for "extra protection".

nei1

I think that wandering around with a camera and lens that total more than 10000 whatevers is asking for some interesting scars.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    I think that wandering around with a camera and lens that total more than 10000 whatevers is asking for some interesting scars.
    We already do that with the M8. Take an M8 + 28 cron and 50 lux and you are well over $10,000 already. An M8 and essentially any two lens combo gets you there (unless you bought everything used).

nei1

My M6 and elderly lens doesn"t stop me going anywhere,few would want them.I just wonder if having so much hanging around my neck would be an influence on my choice of subject and on my subjects reaction to me.Now Im reasonably tall and fit and not a complete coward but I think I might feel a bit of a crime magnet and start taking pictures of sheep and daisys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    Which would be your own interpretation? Cameras having an IR-cut filter on their sensor don't require another one on the lenses. Maybe i'm missing something though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's just as likely to get scars carrying a Canon G9 or many other much cheaper cameras...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should not need one. None of the m4/3rds cams, for example, are inherently sensitive to UV or IR and they have even shorter registry.

The obfuscation re: M8 came with wides and corners plus the claim that a thinner filter was used due to the form factor. Arguments to justify a problem.

The bottom line is that the M8/8.2 sensors were (regardless of wide/normal/tele) sensitive to UV and IR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do street shooting for long enough and making interesting shots of sheep and daisies becomes a greater challenge ...
    what is and what isnt 'worthy' subject matter - at the end of the day real shooting is a zen experience - you do it because you like doing it and it is good for your soul.

everything else is commerce of one form or another.
    Last edited by PeterA; 6th September 2009 at 10:11.

Post Thanks / Like

I was saying if they aren't needed and you do use one you could have a corner problem on the wide angle lenses. I wasn't trying to be scary, all I was saying was using something that isn't needed can create other problems. When the M8 IR problem came to light, filters fixed the IR problem but introduced the cyan problem which Leica fixed in firmware or Cornerfix worked in software if the lens wasn't coded. All I was responding to was the post saying you could use the filter for "extra protection".
    Understand, and I wasn't saying that you were trying to be scary, just that the way of interpreting the wording that you raised scared me. Lots of on scene judgment in play, but given time with the new beast, we'll all work it out; the early adopters, that is.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Which would be your own interpretation? Cameras having an IR-cut filter on their sensor don't require another one on the lenses. Maybe i'm missing something though.
    That's my problem. I don't have an interpretation because of the wording in the brochure. But, I have to believe that its designers must have arranged for it to not be a problem.

I always thought that becoming 21, getting married and each child's birth were the most anticipated things in my life, but now have to move the M9 into that list!
    Roger

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Do street shooting for long enough and making interesting shots of sheep and daisies becomes a greater challenge ...
    what is and what isnt 'worthy' subject matter - at the end of the day real shooting is a zen experience - you do it because you like doing it and it is good for your soul.

Because of a few mental games I managed to play against myself Ive taken more sheep and daisey photos in recent years than anything else,nothing good comes easy but compared to street work daiseys are a doddle,....Neil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    My M6 and elderly lens doesn"t stop me going anywhere,few would want them.I just wonder if having so much hanging around my neck would be an influence on my choice of subject and on my subjects reaction to me.Now Im reasonably tall and fit and not a complete coward but I think I might feel a bit of a crime magnet and start taking pictures of sheep and daisys.
    I doubt any "thief" would know a difference between M6 or M8 or M9.
    Or between Summilux asph and Summarit.
    I guess some understand that "Leica" means expensive.
    I never felt any more or less in danger wearing a M6 or the M8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The main difference between street (if it involves people) and sheep is that sheep aren't easily bothered by a camera.

Daisies being immobile, makes it even less of a problem.

Nothing is a doodle unless one just wants doodles.

Post Thanks / Like

Well folks, lets face it - we are getting a FF M9 without the need of IR filters on the lenses, so this is what I wanted and I think most of you.

I am happily waiting for the M9

Post Thanks / Like

yep

FF and no IR filters...that's exactly what I've been waiting for ...I also like the availability of slower ISO for working with studio lighting

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The main difference between street (if it involves people) and sheep is that sheep aren't easily bothered by a camera.

Daisies being immobile, makes it even less of a problem.

Nothing is a doodle unless one just wants doodles.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I guess the M9 is not a rumor anymore.

I took a look at Leica's YouTube post. I'm assuming that this was an official YouTube post from Leica.

If you’d forward the video to 0:53 seconds, you can see the back of the M9 camera which you can identify by its ISO button and the fact that its view finder is in the same position as the M8. Ooo, looks like an M9 too me.

I know I want one.

Attachment 21793

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My credit card has already hit the table...
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    My credit card has already hit the table...
    Mine will soon do so as well