The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Brochure and Specs

L

leica007

another rational speculation :

in germany : M8.2 = € 4875 [approx]
rumoured price of M9 = € 5500

in USA: m8.2 = $6000 [rounded as on Bhphoto] [not directly Euro converted rate of almost $7000]

hence, the proportionate speculated price of M9 in the USA = $ 6800 = $7000 rounded or icing on the cake/ keep-your-spouse-happy price = $6999.99 [you get your share of 9s too!]

Terry

I'm thinking between $6500 and $7000. Taking the €500 M8/M9 differential and adding it to the US price.

L

leica007

If they sell it at $5995 - they will have to open another factory. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With the escape of the PDF brochure I cracked and had my dealer put an order in for me for either black or grey, whichever is easiest to source. I'm betting on a US price comparable to the converted euro price - if it's cheaper WOO HOO, if it's a lot more expensive ($8k+) then they'll lose a sale :thumbdown: because I'll just buy it in europe on business.

The promise of FF, extra resolution and IR filtration are appealing but there's a point where I'll sit it out with my perfectly adequate M8.2 and wait for price sanity. :deadhorse:

R

Ranger 9

...in the USA things tend to get slightly cheaper [less tax? bigger market?]
Mostly no VAT, no universal health insurance, and until recently it was illegal for importers to enforce minimum retail prices (now it's on a case-by-case basis.)

GrahamWelland

Btw, I notice in the brochure PDF that the 135 APO-Telyt is covered with reference to the M9 also. However, there's a note: "The use of this lens on the M9 is recommended only when certain criteria are met, for example, it must be stopped down by at least two stops."

Any ideas why this lens would require this special restriction? I assume vignetting wide open perhaps? thoughts?

monza

Most likely the 0.68 mag of the viewfinder combined with the RF baselength makes focus iffy on the 135.

GrahamWelland

I don't think that's it because I've been using the 135 APO-Telyt with the M8 without problem. I guess it depends on your eyesight.

R

Ranger 9

I'm thinking between $6500 and $7000. Taking the €500 M8/M9 differential and adding it to the US price.
I'm guessing they'll want to be slightly above the top Canon and Nikon DSLRs to maintain their premium positioning. A Nikon D3x lists for $7,995 and sells for about $7,500 at B&H, so I'm thinking they'll want to list for at least $8,495 and maybe give dealers some wiggle room to sell for a bit less.

If they think they're hitting price resistance, I'll bet they'd prefer an incentive such as a rebate on lenses, rather than cutting the price on the camera body. But I doubt if they'll need to resort to that. Leica's core market is affluent enthusiasts, whom the recession hasn't affected much.

L

leica007

$9999 is a lost case. very few people will sink 10k for such a camera in today's world market. those who can afford, other than the deep-pocket amatuers/enthusiasts, will go to other systems or else S2. neither will $8500 be attractive.

$8000 itself will casue a lot of heartburns. leica needs to provide something sweet and non-acidic.

Terry

I'm guessing they'll want to be slightly above the top Canon and Nikon DSLRs to maintain their premium positioning. A Nikon D3x lists for $7,995 and sells for about $7,500 at B&H, so I'm thinking they'll want to list for at least $8,495 and maybe give dealers some wiggle room to sell for a bit less.

If they think they're hitting price resistance, I'll bet they'd prefer an incentive such as a rebate on lenses, rather than cutting the price on the camera body. But I doubt if they'll need to resort to that. Leica's core market is affluent enthusiasts, whom the recession hasn't affected much.
I actually don't think that is where they are headed. Isn't their objective to get as many M8 owners as possible to upgrade and to convert more users. While there are certainly difference with the M9 to the M8 there is a probably a lot they've learned over the last few years that will help them keep the production costs a bit lower. I think they want to sell a lot of them. Canon and Nikon want to sell their high res cameras but expand their market with the 5DII and Nikon will have a D700x. Pricing for the higher end of that (if they don't have to) IMHO would be a mistake.

R

Ranger 9

$9999 is a lost case. very few people will sink 10k for such a camera in today's world market.
They've already priced the new Noctilux at $10K, so they must think that's not a barrier for some people.

PeterA

Well @ 18 megapixels the camera now ticks the resolution box.The size of the camera and lenses is its biggest advantage. 10 years ago a Canon 1ds was no big deal for me to walk around holding over 8 hrs of street shooting - these days? forget about it..my D3 just sits on a shelf gathering dust as far as street shooting goes...MFD? where is my tripod?

I dont know how to price the value equation in my mind for a go anywhere camera and perfect travel kit - as long as the file quality is as good as the M8 - I will buy.Strange that they had a falling out with Phase One..still i guess the DNG path - combined with Adobe's knew tools in latest ACR - will see a lot of development occur to make up for any lightroom shortfalls.
Should be an interesting wek ahead-:)

L

leica007

I actually don't think that is where they are headed. Isn't their objective to get as many M8 owners as possible to upgrade and to convert more users. While there are certainly difference with the M9 to the M8 there is a probably a lot they've learned over the last few years that will help them keep the production costs a bit lower. I think they want to sell a lot of them. Canon and Nikon want to sell their high res cameras but expand their market with the 5DII and Nikon will have a D700x. Pricing for the higher end of that (if they don't have to) IMHO would be a mistake.
Well said. M9 did not involve much re-engineering - a lot may be on the sensor development (which again, as Leica has mentioned earlier, may have been derived from S2 - we will watch this space). otherwise, it's M8.3 !! dropping Saphire glass is a good indication of keeping things simple and tight. Therefore, does not warrant a steep price rise.

Leica is getting smarter - targeting various markets : to reiterate my earlier position:

S2 = MF - challenging PhaseOne and HAssy
X1 = m43
D-lux = P&S

Leica R is gone , then what will challenge the DSLR market , if it's not M9 ?

In that case, M9 must be priced vis-a-vis the current DSlrs , even if the target is the topline. Therefore, going beyond $7500 is a suicide; more so because Nikon and Canon are busy playing at middle level with 5DmkII and D700(x) - 3500-4000 is the hot price zone - and earn through selling lens.

Leica most probably will attract people to M9 [platform] with a good price and make them purchase new lens - all those wide 'luxes - may be we will see some more discounts there.

L

leica007

They've already priced the new Noctilux at $10K, so they must think that's not a barrier for some people.
Nocti is a special lens - not for everyone. ask your dealer and see how many copies got sold. it's not a good comparative.

Terry

Leica most probably will attract people to M9 [platform] with a good price and make them purchase new lens - all those wide 'luxes - may be we will see some more discounts there.
Actually this is the one odd ball part of the M9. The two new luxes won't have framelines and you will need an external finder. Wide open it could be a challenge to nail both focus and framing.