The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Brochure and Specs

beamon

According to the M9 brochure "A newly developed sensor filter ensures the suppression of undesirable infrared light. The conscious decision to do without a moiré filter, a cause of image deterioration through loss of resolution, ensures maximum resolution of fine detail. The optimized signal-noise ratio of the CCD image sensor reduces the need for digital post-processing and ensures that M9 images possess an un rivaled and natural visual impact."
For me, that wording does nothing but obfuscate the issue of whether UV/IR filters will be necessary. The possible interpretation that Terry raises is scary!

Terry

For me, that wording does nothing but obfuscate the issue of whether UV/IR filters will be necessary. The possible interpretation that Terry raises is scary!
I was saying if they aren't needed and you do use one you could have a corner problem on the wide angle lenses. I wasn't trying to be scary, all I was saying was using something that isn't needed can create other problems. When the M8 IR problem came to light, filters fixed the IR problem but introduced the cyan problem which Leica fixed in firmware or Cornerfix worked in software if the lens wasn't coded. All I was responding to was the post saying you could use the filter for "extra protection".

N

nei1

I think that wandering around with a camera and lens that total more than 10000 whatevers is asking for some interesting scars.

Terry

I think that wandering around with a camera and lens that total more than 10000 whatevers is asking for some interesting scars.
We already do that with the M8. Take an M8 + 28 cron and 50 lux and you are well over $10,000 already. An M8 and essentially any two lens combo gets you there (unless you bought everything used).

N

nei1

My M6 and elderly lens doesn"t stop me going anywhere,few would want them.I just wonder if having so much hanging around my neck would be an influence on my choice of subject and on my subjects reaction to me.Now Im reasonably tall and fit and not a complete coward but I think I might feel a bit of a crime magnet and start taking pictures of sheep and daisys.

LCT

Which would be your own interpretation? Cameras having an IR-cut filter on their sensor don't require another one on the lenses. Maybe i'm missing something though. :bugeyes:

V

Vivek

You should not need one. None of the m4/3rds cams, for example, are inherently sensitive to UV or IR and they have even shorter registry.

The obfuscation re: M8 came with wides and corners plus the claim that a thinner filter was used due to the form factor. Arguments to justify a problem.

The bottom line is that the M8/8.2 sensors were (regardless of wide/normal/tele) sensitive to UV and IR.

PeterA

Do street shooting for long enough and making interesting shots of sheep and daisies becomes a greater challenge ...
what is and what isnt 'worthy' subject matter - at the end of the day real shooting is a zen experience - you do it because you like doing it and it is good for your soul.

everything else is commerce of one form or another.

Last edited:

beamon

I was saying if they aren't needed and you do use one you could have a corner problem on the wide angle lenses. I wasn't trying to be scary, all I was saying was using something that isn't needed can create other problems. When the M8 IR problem came to light, filters fixed the IR problem but introduced the cyan problem which Leica fixed in firmware or Cornerfix worked in software if the lens wasn't coded. All I was responding to was the post saying you could use the filter for "extra protection".
Understand, and I wasn't saying that you were trying to be scary, just that the way of interpreting the wording that you raised scared me. Lots of on scene judgment in play, but given time with the new beast, we'll all work it out; the early adopters, that is.

beamon

Which would be your own interpretation? Cameras having an IR-cut filter on their sensor don't require another one on the lenses. Maybe i'm missing something though. :bugeyes:
That's my problem. I don't have an interpretation because of the wording in the brochure. But, I have to believe that its designers must have arranged for it to not be a problem.

I always thought that becoming 21, getting married and each child's birth were the most anticipated things in my life, but now have to move the M9 into that list! :D

N

nei1

Do street shooting for long enough and making interesting shots of sheep and daisies becomes a greater challenge ...
what is and what isnt 'worthy' subject matter - at the end of the day real shooting is a zen experience - you do it because you like doing it and it is good for your soul.

Because of a few mental games I managed to play against myself Ive taken more sheep and daisey photos in recent years than anything else,nothing good comes easy but compared to street work daiseys are a doddle,....Neil

Paratom

My M6 and elderly lens doesn"t stop me going anywhere,few would want them.I just wonder if having so much hanging around my neck would be an influence on my choice of subject and on my subjects reaction to me.Now Im reasonably tall and fit and not a complete coward but I think I might feel a bit of a crime magnet and start taking pictures of sheep and daisys.
I doubt any "thief" would know a difference between M6 or M8 or M9.
Or between Summilux asph and Summarit.
I guess some understand that "Leica" means expensive.
I never felt any more or less in danger wearing a M6 or the M8.

V

Vivek

The main difference between street (if it involves people) and sheep is that sheep aren't easily bothered by a camera.

Daisies being immobile, makes it even less of a problem.

Nothing is a doodle unless one just wants doodles.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well folks, lets face it - we are getting a FF M9 without the need of IR filters on the lenses, so this is what I wanted and I think most of you.

I am happily waiting for the M9 :thumbup:

Mike M

yep

FF and no IR filters...that's exactly what I've been waiting for ...I also like the availability of slower ISO for working with studio lighting

N

nei1

The main difference between street (if it involves people) and sheep is that sheep aren't easily bothered by a camera.

Daisies being immobile, makes it even less of a problem.

Nothing is a doodle unless one just wants doodles.

:rolleyes::)

Daniel

Wow, I guess the M9 is not a rumor anymore.

I took a look at Leica's YouTube post. I'm assuming that this was an official YouTube post from Leica.

If you’d forward the video to 0:53 seconds, you can see the back of the M9 camera which you can identify by its ISO button and the fact that its view finder is in the same position as the M8. Ooo, looks like an M9 too me.

I know I want one.

View attachment 21793