The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Brochure and Specs

R

Ranger 9

Nothing there. Download attempts time out.

But yes, people do spend a lot of time creating fake information.

N

nei1

I managed to see the site from the dpreview site link,this was real.

stephengilbert

They looked real to me: a 40 plus page brochure, with photos and typical leica speak throughout. Given what I've seen lately, I guess it's possible that some lunatic spent a hundred hours creating it, but I doubt it.

Terry

It certainly would take a lunatic to get the fonts and all of the formating into Leica "format".
Interesting that the X1 is a CMOS sensor and they didn't get something made by Kodak. Wonder who made it? A year ago I would have been frothing at the mouth for the X1 but the m4/3 with interchangeable lenses is so much more flexible right now. That could change if the lens is amazing in combo with the body. I'm sure there are a ton of people that don't like m4/3 and will love the X1.

R

Ranger 9

Well, most of the 40+ pages were legacy info about the M7/MP, lenses, accessories, etc.

Still, I agree it looks very plausible. It would have been quite time-consuming to go through an existing brochure and search/replace out all the "M8" references and replace them with "M9" (although let's face it, most Leica M users are members of the leisure classes and have plenty of spare time to amuse themselves however they please.)

What I find most convincing about it is that if this WERE simply a fanboy fantasy, I suspect s/he would have fantasized more mouth-watering specs than a top ISO of 2500 and a viewfinder magnification of 0.68x! In other words, it's just good enough to be true, but not too good to be true.

Anyway, now we've got something to study between now and Wednesday. The next really interesting questions will be availability date and (ulp!) price...

PS -- If the brochure is accurate, its omission suggests that the M8 is no more. Sic transit gloria mundi...

R

Ranger 9

Further observations:

-- No more top-panel LCD, so I guess you have to turn on the main monitor to find out how many frames you've got left.

-- Looks as if you still have to remove the baseplate to change cards. I thought maybe that lump on the left end below the eyepiece might be a card door, but it looks too small.

-- Now we know how they avoided leakage of prototype spy photos: They shot the brochure pics in Cuba, that hospitable and photogenic police state where unauthorized reporting is, uh, not a good idea...

bradhusick

Further observations:

-- No more top-panel LCD, so I guess you have to turn on the main monitor to find out how many frames you've got left.

-- Looks as if you still have to remove the baseplate to change cards. I thought maybe that lump on the left end below the eyepiece might be a card door, but it looks too small.

-- Now we know how they avoided leakage of prototype spy photos: They shot the brochure pics in Cuba, that hospitable and photogenic police state where unauthorized reporting is, uh, not a good idea...

The little door on the left is the (useless) USB port. If you want to swap batteries and cards quickly, buy Luigi's M-Mate2 baseplate (leicatime.com). I got one and love it.

R

Ranger 9

The brochure also shows the X1 in the product line. I am very interested in the X1 in addition to the M9.
Yeah, but no specs! Did someone say there was a separate X1 spec sheet download floating around?

I'm not in the market for this kind of camera (especially not at Leica prices) but I'm interested in guessing its family tree, so I'd like to know whether its lens is interchangeable or not. All the romance copy says is "fitted with one of the very best Leica lenses".

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Going thru the specs ...I can t find anything new beyond the new FF sensor? This of course is a huge deal ....but it has same viewfinder? same battery? same body design except top plate?

Makes sense ..like Nikon with the D3x ....all the reports said ...here is the new sensor everything else is the same.

Terry

Going thru the specs ...I can t find anything new beyond the new FF sensor? This of course is a huge deal ....but it has same viewfinder? same battery? same body design except top plate?

Makes sense ..like Nikon with the D3x ....all the reports said ...here is the new sensor everything else is the same.
Dedicated ISO button, ISO adjustable in 1/3 stops, 80 lowest ISO setting to name a few....

An interesting snippet from the pdf brochure (p 21):

"TOUGH

People who take photography seriously usually live their lives at the edge; in searing heat or bitter cold, pouring rain or swirling dust. The M is built to be consistent, dependable, and tough under almost any imaginable conditions. This is why resilience and endurance are always prime concerns in the design and construction of every M camera."

Sounds rather weather-sealed to me....

R

Ranger 9

Funny, I was thinking that if it really WAS weather-sealed, they'd have said so straight-out, rather than spinning all that marketing romance about living life at the edge and the prime concerns of design.

It's like McDonald's Chocolatey Chip Cookies. If they really were chocolate chip cookies, they'd have been able to say so!

For contrast, here's what Canon says about the 1DS MkIII:

"Extensive weatherproofing ensures superior reliability, even when shooting in harsh environments. Rubber gaskets are used at nearly every joint and seam—including around the battery compartment cover, memory card door, and flash shoe—to keep out moisture and dust."

Last edited: