The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bowens Gemini versus Elinchrom DLite4

mrtoml

I am thinking of getting the Gemini 400/400 twin kit from Bowens as a start in studio flash. There is also the option of the D-Lite 4 from Elinchrom which is a bit cheaper. Anyone have any opinions of these systems? I have never used studio flash before.

Thanks.

Ben Rubinstein

I've played with both though I don't 'know' either. I did buy a D-Lite 2 a couple of years back and sent it back within the half hour, felt like cheap junk. The Bowens however are rock solid, can use all brollies not just the rare 7mm diameter ones, cheaper accessories, you can buy a battery pack for it as well. If I wasn't firmly invested in Alien Bees (yes in the UK) I wouldn't hesistate for a second to buy the bowens.

mrtoml

Thanks, Ben. That confirms other opinions I have read. I am thinking it is probably worth paying the extra for the Bowens.

Marc Wilson

yup.
I've used the bowens 500's for a couple of years now...with the battery pack once in a while also.
Not one problem which I reckon is pretty good for 2 years use.
Wish I could say the same for my elinchrom skyports!

Marc

Ben Rubinstein

What problem are you having with your skyports Marc? I called up my local pro dealer about the skyports about 6 months back. He said 'sure Ben, got loads of 2nd hand ones, the studio's keep sending them back and buying PW's instead, apparently the skyports are c***'. As you can imagine I didn't buy them :D. It was strange though, on the forums people think they are the bees knees.

Marc Wilson

Hi Ben,

A couple stopped taking any charge...fixed, and then again, (took too long in my view also) and fine since then.
Last shoot I found the heads not firing, so I press the test button on the trigger skyport, the flash fires, then I shoot and it fires also.

So they work but a few issues really...I'm not hugely confident in them right now so really do need to change them. Either pulsars or pocketwizards I guess...just so many other things to get also!

Marc

A

aprillove20

Fantastic threat. I agree with Ben ideas and good points to bring up.