The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which type of studio background?

mrtoml

Beginning to plan my first studio setup...

I have now decided on getting the Bowens Gemini kit (two 400 J heads + umbrellas). I also want to get some backgrounds, but they seem to come in several different options (paper rolls, vinyl, canvas, muslim etc.) and at varying degrees of expense.

I am thinking of starting with one black and one white backdrop for high and low key portraits. What would you recommend for a beginner in terms of these backgrounds? Is it worth the extra expense to get vinyl or would paper be a good choice when starting out? Are cloth backgrounds difficult to look after and keep clean and crease free etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cloth or Muslin backgrounds will drive you nuts if you even think of having them hang there wrinkle free. It is a better idea to place the subject well in front of the background so that it will be thrown out of focus.
Paper vs vinyl? Vinyl is very expensive, paper is pretty cheap. Consider it an expendable and cut off the dirty part once and awhile. Vinyl is also much more limited than paper in size and color choices. I am considering some vinyl myself, but only for white. The paper works well enough for my relatively small scale operation.

Consider a mid-dark gray as well (maybe a thunder gray) as it is easier to gel up if you want color and has a bit of lightness to it which helps separate a black subject shadow from the dark but not completely black background.
-bob

Last edited:

LJL

Agreeing with Bob here. The cloth backgrounds are very versatile, easy to store, and can be gelled for color/tint also. As mentioned, stop worrying about wrinkles, and place the subject far enough away to reduce the distraction. If you get anal over it, keep the cloth backgrounds hanging, and hit them with a steamer to help pull the wrinkles out. If you want the smoother look, paper is the way to go for a lot less cost. I keep several around (black, light gray, thunder gray, white, dark green, etc.) in both 9 foot width and the shorter 54" width for table top shooting. Rolls are cheap, and the do not get that dirty or marked up as one might think. I also have a roll of white vinyl that I like to use when I need to set up on location. Because it does not get as dirty, or is easy to clean, it makes a better "reusable" type material. It also works nicely as a big translucent bank for lighting, but it is a lot heavier and does cost a lot more than the paper rolls.

Depending on what you are shooting (headshots, full length portraits, etc.), there are other options, such as collapsible backgrounds that do not show wrinkles and can be set a bit closer to the subject in more confined shooting spaces, if needed. Still, if you have the dedicated space, rolls of paper will do a great job. Add in a cloth (muslin) if you want for more creative (less smooth and structured) shooting, and you are set without breaking the bank for materials. Get a sturdy background stand with several sandbags and you are good to go.

LJ

mrtoml

Thank you both for the excellent advice.

I think I will start off with a couple of paper rolls and see how that goes. I just thought they wouldn't last all that long. The vinyl seems to be very expensive.