The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

looking to simulate light of regency style painting

faneuil

I am looking to get the feel of a this portrait of Madama Recamier by David.
Looks like a small source, relatively undiffused light.
Any tips or link suggestions to reproduce a painter's studio light?

thanks
Eric

also see the image of La Grande Odalisque for inspiration.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Eric- IMHO the two images you've posted above are of a totally different breed lighting wise.

While you'll achieve results consistent with the latter using classical strobes and reflectors (Bob, David (ddk) and other "studio skin" marvels will definitely be helpful), the former' looks might require a different approach. There, experimenting with continuous lighting (playing with dimmerable bulbs), maybe gel masks/colored curtains, higher iso and tuning up WB will possibly give you first directions.

Note also that to attain the Recamier type of result, you'll need significantly more depth esp behind your subject.

faneuil

Yes--the lighting is completely different, but I wanted to inspire ideas to capture that painterly look. The more I looked at the images since I posted, the more I realized I actually don't adore the light in the first image. I prefer the second, which is much more a head-on lighting.

Large beauty dish to side slightly above camera level is what I think first on the second image.

thanks for the post.
Eric

Henry Goh

Looks like they were done with a single light source - probably one large window light. Lighting is rather frontal as seen in the second painting. You can emulate this with one large softbox placed behind and left of the camera at a distance. Mind you SB has to be quite large.

faneuil

followup:

We had great shoot. Baby is now born and adorable.
Friend and subject loved the pictures.
Here was the shot we all liked and is to be printed and framed.

cheers,
Eric