The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto Pro-8a v. Bron Scoro A4S comparison review

LJL

Ran across this Head-2-Head comparison review by Ted Dillard over on Luminous Landscape, and thought to post the link to the review in the lighting section here. Normally, we do not see too much beyond marketing materials on studio light performance, so it was nice to find this review. It looks at the two "top dogs" of the high end studio lighting, which may be beyond the interest of some, but it also goes into some explanations about how the flash duration and output work, light shaping spread and other things that have been discussed or speculated upon here.

There is also some interesting discussion on LL, but the article is a good read for those interested.

LJ

Last edited by a moderator:

David K

Workshop Member
LJ,

I read the review (and the discussion on LL). Coincidentally, I had a couple of the guys from Bron Imaging Group staying with me here in Florida who felt that the tester really didn't understand how to work their pack. Clearly they are both top of the line lighting gear but I wouldn't put too much stock in the conclusions reached in the review. Despite that I'd encourage anyone with an interest to read it.

LJL

David,
I started coming to a similar conclusion, that parts of the test may not have been totally equal. After reading more of the LL discussions, it is apparent that the Bron Scoro is maybe a lot less user friendly with both the menu system to access settings, as well as how some of the features actually work. I was a bit surprised by some of the conclusions drawn buy the original reviewer, but many of his other comments seemed quite germane and reasonable. What I thought was worth reading was the section about flash duration and shutter sync, as that has been a topic that was touched upon here a few times.

In any event, I do think that either pack choice will do the intended job for the user. Personally, I am now using Profotos, and do really like the light quality, handling and overall capabilities, but I could probably get comfortable with the Brons also.

LJ