The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quadra Updated!

fotografz

Thanks for the indepth reply Marc. If I think of it as a 200w/s unit to obtain the recycle time I need I think it would help for my purposes. That and shooting slower :D

You might be interested in this:

http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=216#content

The new speed transmitters, built better and with better sync. Just announced today I think.
Ben, I'll be doing a wedding this Saturday at a place where supplemental lighting is almost mandatory ... a true cave of a place with dark painted walls and rich woods ... mammoth ornate interior space, super high ceilings with no natural light at all, and ancient tungsten lighting set at very low levels. I'm going to gel the Quadras and shoot with the H4D/40 MFD ... and do a second approach using the Leica M9 shot available light with the Noctilux and 21/1.4 ASPH. Should be interesting.

Looks like that new sender will not provide all functions with the less expensive Quadra set I bought ($630. off the B&H price for the same thing) ... but it still looks like I could use it with the same functions I have now .... but with a better built unit and better design elements. I really don't care about the extras like strobing and stuff like that.

-Marc

robmac

Looks like it might also give you an extra 1/50sec of sync - at the price of 1/2 the range. This is assuming the speed Trx and the older receiver in your pack will enable it.

My guess, and it's just that is that speed mode disables some interence robustness feature or related error checking - dropping the latency from shutter release to trigger, but at cost of clean range. Would love to hear how they did implement it if anyone knows....

Ben - looks like I'll try a RP JrX Studio kit and Nikon cube and if works out add from there. The RP range and per trigger reliability, due I guess to the uncrowded (vs PW) freq range and interference robustness they use looks amazing. Seeing as how my Skyports are just simple triggers now anyway, a better more robust trigger that uses same batts as my meter vs ;()$" sealed rechargables and the ability to manualy control (no interest in the TTL capable PX line) the power of older TTL speedlights from the shoe is a nice added bonus.

Eventually will move to AiR when either move to D1s and pack and/or and eventual full AiR battery unit.

Last edited:

fotografz

Looks like it might also give you an extra 1/50sec of sync - at the price of 1/2 the range. This is assuming the speed Trx and the older receiver in your pack will enable it.

My guess, and it's just that is that speed mode disables some interence robustness feature or related error checking - dropping the latency from shutter release to trigger, but at cost of clean range. Would love to hear how they did implement it if anyone knows....

Ben - looks like I'll try a RP JrX Studio kit and Nikon cube and if works out add from there. The RP range and per trigger reliability, due I guess to the uncrowded (vs PW) freq range and interference robustness they use looks amazing. Seeing as how my Skyports are just simple triggers now anyway, a better more robust trigger that uses same batts as my meter vs ;()$" sealed rechargables and the ability to manualy control (no interest in the TTL capable PX line) the power of older TTL speedlights from the shoe is a nice added bonus.

Eventually will move to AiR when either move to D1s and pack and/or and eventual full AiR battery unit.
This is my quandary ... I have a second Quadra kit ready to be shipped back to B&H. I can't decide if I want a second set or not now. And if so, whether to wait to see what the next "RX" iteration brings ... so far nothing I'd use.

The thing is so darned small I wouldn't mind having two set-ups that I could position separately @ 200 w/s for fast recycle.

I finally had a chance to look at the D1's in person, and with an inverter for remote use, the kit is just to big and heavy. I already have the older lead battery Porty 1200 that I don't use very often because of size/weight. (mostly for commercial stuff with two assistants, never at a wedding).

I wish I could see the 13 lb Hensel Lithium 1200 in person to see how big it really is ... the problem there is still the size of the heads. Smaller than D1s for sure, but not anywhere as small as the Quadra heads, or Broncolor Mobilites ... to bad the Broncolor A2R box is over 20 lbs.

A new Profoto Lithium 800B with 2 outlets would be perfect for on the run remote work so I could use the fortune in profoto modifiers I already have :clap:. Are you listening Profoto!!!!!

Sorry for the ramble ... :LOL:

-Marc

robmac

An 800B Life with two outlets and the ability to dial power independently between heads (why not dream..) - yumm. No farting around with DIY to use decent modifiers, no having to play with multiple systems (if a Profoto user), etc.

I'd think it reasonable to expect PF to, at some point, digitize and downsize the 600B pack - make it their version of the Quadra. The leading-edge packs are digital, they now have LiFe batteries and their own remote power control system - so eventually tech will be pushed down the stack to the lead-acid, stone-cold reliable and robust, but 80s-level tech in the lower end units.

When it comes to uber-small and light in a pack system, if you can work around the limitations of the head re: modifiers and mounting, the Quadra is CURRENTLY the best game in town. I stress 'currently' as I don't see that position lasting long as other players do the same as Eli - downsize or create downsized versions of existing battery units to take advantage of new tech, and to digitize their old units so they can better market their proprietary wireless control systems.

Also a lot of speculation the new Ranger update will look more like a Quadra and less like the old Ranger - much like the new Rx monos may absorb a lot of BXRi DNA. As for the new Quadra RX - I agree, I see nothing of any merit (for me) to justify paying up for a new unit vs an existing old stock version if I were Quadra shopping.

As a random thought - I wonder if it would be possible to have a pigtail made to use an AcuteB head on a Quadra pack? You'd almost certainly lose the modeling light, but while larger than a Q head, uber-light with Allah's-own swivel mount and access to any modifier you care to throw on it. I wonder....

fotografz

Yeah, exactly ... one freaking system with one set of modifiers ... with the always popular, assistant proof Profoto mount ;)

Most certainly I'd make it an "Air" for control from the camera, while allowing use of current Acute B heads). NO freaking 8' power cords either ... 12' standard so you can get the light up high on the stand, and have to use only one power extension cord for the second head.

Oh, and a kit packaged with 2 heads and the Air transmitter please :D Leave out the stupid little umbrellas and wimpy stands. Don't need a case either,
never use the one that comes with .... too big for a little kit. I have the Quadra generator/battery and a spare battery/charger in a smallish Kata shoulder bag that looks like it was designed for the Quadra (Kata SB-902).

BTW, while I wait for the new sender, I set this up with Pocket Wizards as back-up ... and to use on the Sony A900 which some genius designed without a PC outlet so I can't use on-camera TTL flash and the Quadras.

-Marc

fotografz

The A900 doesn't come with a PC sync? WTF?
My words exactly Ben.

I can do off-camera with PWs using a couple of manually ratio/set HVL 58 flashes using a special Sony shoe adapter for stand mounting. Which I proved to be worthless since the 58s capacitor limiter shuts down the flash prematurely when set to full manual (also an issue with the 580EXs and SB900s).

Of course I can use a standard adapter in the shoe with a PC connection ... but with the A900's proprietary hot shoe mount, it all gets a bit Rube-Goldberg at a wedding when you are trying to connect this to that, and use the right combination of adapters for this or that ... WTF is right!

F it! is my response ... thus the Quatras.

Now what I have to find is ONE adapter that has the Sony mount on both sides to preserve TTL, but also has a PC outlet to trigger the Skyport. Didn't need it until now ... and don't even know if it exists. Hunt time :confused:

The Leica M9 doesn't have a PC port either. :wtf:

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Now what I have to find is ONE adapter that has the Sony mount on both sides to preserve TTL, but also has a PC outlet to trigger the Skyport. Didn't need it until now ... and don't even know if it exists. Hunt time :confused:

-Marc
I wonder if these two adapters stacked will allow TTL with addition of PC sync? Have not seen a single adapter.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039136

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665199970

Bob

fotografz

Thanks Bob! Really appreciate the ideas.

However, No cigar.

You have to use the Sony proprietary connector not a standard PC cord. If you tried to stack them there is no place to put one on the other since the sync adapter doesn't have a mount on top , and the Off-camera Shoe is a standard mount rather than the Sony one. I have a sync adapter ... it's useless for this purpose.

The only camera I current have that I can use a TTL shoe mount speed light and trigger the Skyport is the H4D/40 ... which is my primary camera for this sort of work anyway.

But come on people ... no standard sync port? WTF!

-Marc

M

Marcin Harla

Marcin, if you haven't seen these in person you really don't realize how small it all is. It really is a great alternative to speed lights for highly mobile off-camera.

As to softboxes or strip-lights ... I wouldn't hang anything off these ... they are just too small to bear any load. However, I DO have an idea how to do this.

In digging around my pile of studio junk I found one of those speed ring brackets to mount a shoe mount flash in a soft box. It is the speed ring bracket that attaches to the stand or light-stick boom arm and bears the load ... the Quadra head then just goes along for the ride. Now I have to find the soft-box that goes with this speed-ring :ROTF

-Marc

I may look at a regular Profoto speed-ring and see if I can modify it with a L bracket added in the proper place. Then I could use some of the smaller Profoto stuff I already have :thumbs:

It'll be interesting to see what you're going to come up with.
Without decent modifiers I can just use qflash if I need super portable. Would be nice if you could safely mount a BD or a 1x4 stripbox.

Marc, I wonder if something like Bruce Dorn offers for speedlights and qflash could be the answer. Put the head on the bracket and stick it in some Chimera speedring. There would be no stress on fragile Quadra heads because the bracket holds it.
This wouldn't work with BD however, but at least you could use a softbox.
Here is the link to give you an idea: http://www.idcphotography.com/kart/index.php?p=product&id=73&parent=24

fotografz

It'll be interesting to see what you're going to come up with.
Without decent modifiers I can just use qflash if I need super portable. Would be nice if you could safely mount a BD or a 1x4 stripbox.

Marc, I wonder if something like Bruce Dorn offers for speedlights and qflash could be the answer. Put the head on the bracket and stick it in some Chimera speedring. There would be no stress on fragile Quadra heads because the bracket holds it.
This wouldn't work with BD however, but at least you could use a softbox.
Here is the link to give you an idea: http://www.idcphotography.com/kart/index.php?p=product&id=73&parent=24
Thanks Marcin !!!!! That site has a strip light which is one thing I would like for this Quadra kit ... and it is an asymmetrical mount which would be perfect for use on a light-stick boom arm or monopod :thumbup:

True, in your case a Quantum Q flash serves for the lighter duty mobile function .... as you have Profoto B7s with you for the serious stuff :cool:. But, that's more than I want to take with .... I already have a 1200 w/s Hensel Porty and all the modifiers including the best beauty dish I've ever used (I'll show you next time we meet) ...but only use that for corporate/commercial assignments, or location portraits where I'm not so rushed.

I'm trying this Quadra as THE lighting kit for both functions at weddings. The Q tops out at 160 w/s if I recall correctly, compared to 400 w/s for the Quadra. The bigger Q that delivers 400/w/s is still a one head solution and is no smaller. These Quadra heads are so small, I just leave them on the stands in my Light Caddy

I have an idea to solve the Quadra modifier issue ... all I need is a tube the diameter of a Profoto head with a stand mount and an L bracket to place the Quadra head up tight to the tube. Heat isn't an issue since the Quadra modeling lights are cold lights. I have all kinds of spare Profoto stuff laying around the studio I can cannibalize. Mac Gyver to the rescue :LOL:

-Marc

robmac

Tube diameter of Profoto head - a 4" (outside diameter) coupler for black ABS pipe (any hardware store). See post #59 above. Work brilliantly. If you need a thinner sidewall for the Q head to fit, just need to make sure the Profoto collar doesn't distort the tube out of round when clamped.