The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elinchrom Ranger or Ranger Quadra

symbolphoto

Yeah, it has many different looks to it as well. Without using the outer diffuser, most people tend to think it's just like the beauty dish.

If you use both it's softer, of course. And best of all it folds up. We've done a lot with the Maxilite as well, but this is quite efficient and fairly large.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IME, the shallow 37" octa without the front diffuser renders *similarly* to the Elinchrom 27" maxi-soft, and is clearly more portable, expecially with the snap-out ring mount. However, and IMHO only, the hard beauty dishes still rule the day for gorgeous light, especially with people --- there's just a look they give that I've never seen from a soft modifier...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use the small (16") one -- the big 27" one is way too big to haul around. One other issue to consider is wind --- here smaller and heavier is better than larger and lighter -- think of them like sails on boats ;)

kuau

Workshop Member
Well after serious internal debate I think I am going to start with the Ranger RX, getting it from Joseph on this site. Then based on Jacks recommendation I will start with the 19" beauty dish:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=126520&is=REG

and I may get the shallow 39" octa.:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=176939&is=REG

Now I just need help with picking out a light stand that will work well outdoors. Any recommendations?

-Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
I am a total newbie when it comes to light stands. :ROTFL:
Which Avenger do you like?

symbolphoto

I hang the ranger pack on ours from time to time. We usually have someon holding our stands, so i don't go all nuts with sandbags, but they are a good alternative.