The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Used Profoto

With some used Profoto prices in free fall, is it worth picking up a ComPact 600? I need an extra strobe or three, but for the price of an SB-900, I can get a ComPact 600 (of course there is powering the darn thing, but that's another problem).

Is this a decent way to wade into the deep end of the Profoto pool?

I mainly shoot weddings, portraits, events and such.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response, Jack. I've read that the ComPact 600 and SB-800's play nicely together for color temp.

I've got 2x SB-600's, SB-800 and need a big light. Stumbled across a set of ComPacts for $500/each.

I guess that's where I'm coming from.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hey Jason -yes, great head, good price... as long as you're aware of the price (and weight) of the battery packs, and all kind of modifiers / accessories (if you need any) ;)

robmac

Great lights. Have some myself and mix with Acute Bs and Sb-80s. Fair price as well.

Pros: all the ones of a Proto head, very reliable so far, very fast recycle (0.8 sec at full power and virtually instant at lower settings) and the 600s go lower in ws than do the 300s. Built like tanks. Nice infinitely variable power control.

Cons: Heavy. Rated at not much more than say Eli monos, but feel heavier. Always-on fan, no auto-dump so need to remember to do a test pop after changing power setting.

Good gateway drug into Profoto.

fotografz

Still one of the best, most reliable Mono-Heads out there IMO. Very easy to transport because the diameter is slimmer than most bulkier mono-heads.

Main feature of Profoto is the light modifier mounting .... which is perhaps the most secure and foolproof there is.

Track down R versions if you can.

-Marc