The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

skyport sustem or multimax

dseelig

Anyone using the new multimax for controlling lights with elinchroms or is the skyport the way to go. thanks David

fotografz

What does the "new" Multimax do?

Can you control the light levels from the camera like the Skyport? If so, does it trigger Pocket Wizard Profotos and where can I read about it?

Thanks,

-Marc

fotografz

Here you go for a link
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10056-10994
Also Is it worth it to spend extra money to be able to control the lights from the camera?
If you are working alone with a generator or 2 ... or are using monolights inside a softbox or octa box, or use the mono lights up high with a softbox or umbrella, or use a light on a boom arm, or use something like the Quadra with an assistant moving around the subject with a beauty dish on a pole ... then yes it is worth the money to control the lights from the camera for sure.

If you use Elinchrom lights, it seems like all the extra stuff to use the PWs seems to be an unnecessary expense ... and more stuff to fail.

-Marc

Dustbak

I use the Skyports with everything Elinchrom. I find them ideal for this. You can not only change the lights from your camera but if you use the USB transmitter you can command every RX head or RX generator via the software.

You can adjust per 0,1 stop.

You can do much more with the Skyport system together with Elinchrom than you can with the Pocketwizards.

I am going to buy into the pocketwizard system but that will be the TT1/TT5 for my Nikon system where I find it makes more sense since it allows for RF FP triggering.